Region 1-A

BasketballMechanic1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will say this. GB played one heck of a game with 3 starters out for large chunks of the game. These refs were whistle happy & did not let them play at all. They called 17 combined fouls in the 1st quarter alone. Unfortunately theirs was spread out amongst multiple players where ours were on 3 players. With 2 of our bigs sitting we lost the 9 point lead we gained in 1st period. UH hit a very high percentage of 3s to our 2s. Our MVP of the district tournament had 33 points & kept us in it but not having those bigs in we got outrebounded in 2nd half on backside giving easy putbacks. We were 11 of 17 at the line. They were 24 of 31. We were 26 of 55 from the field. They were 23 of 52 They hit a few more 3s plus the free throw difference and there is your ballgame. We hit more shots barely and finished shooting about 47% from the floor but they shot 44% from the floor. Free throws tell the story plus they got some bonus points on those 3s. There was one ref who didn’t call a thing, one ref who let them play and seemed to call a fairly good game & one all star ref who loved to blow his whistle often trying to figure out why he blew it after he blew it. This game was so close statistical wise every whistle right or wrong was costly. I would about bet money nobody in the region would have wanted to play either of the teams that played tonight in this game!

17 minutes ago, ladykee said:

I will say this. GB played one heck of a game with 3 starters out for large chunks of the game. These refs were whistle happy & did not let them play at all. They called 17 combined fouls in the 1st quarter alone. Unfortunately theirs was spread out amongst multiple players where ours were on 3 players. With 2 of our bigs sitting we lost the 9 point lead we gained in 1st period. UH hit a very high percentage of 3s to our 2s. Our MVP of the district tournament had 33 points & kept us in it but not having those bigs in we got outrebounded in 2nd half on backside giving easy putbacks. We were 11 of 17 at the line. They were 24 of 31. We were 26 of 55 from the field. They were 23 of 52 They hit a few more 3s plus the free throw difference and there is your ballgame. We hit more shots barely and finished shooting about 47% from the floor but they shot 44% from the floor. Free throws tell the story plus they got some bonus points on those 3s. There was one ref who didn’t call a thing, one ref who let them play and seemed to call a fairly good game & one all star ref who loved to blow his whistle often trying to figure out why he blew it after he blew it. This game was so close statistical wise every whistle right or wrong was costly. I would about bet money nobody in the region would have wanted to play either of the teams that played tonight in this game!

We beat UH 3 times this season...But couldn't get rolling at all tonight 

1 hour ago, uknoit2 said:

We beat UH 3 times this season...But couldn't get rolling at all tonight 

I really thought you guys might pull this out even in The Eagles Nest with them down a key player. Losses are tuff this time of year! I watched a lot of UH film and tonight they looked very sharp once they got their 3 balls rolling with 2 of our lanky defenders on the bench. GB played better tonight than in District championship vs Cosby! We just got handcuffed with foul trouble and it hurt us more defensively than offensively. We had a couple of spurts that we couldn’t produce & they took advantage of it. UH said one of their best games all year maybe their best. It was a 4 point game with 3 minutes to go but they stalled & we had to get aggressive and fouled. They hit all their free throws down the stretch. 

5 hours ago, THE KING said:

Onb, district 1 has always produced some pretty good ball teams but these teams are no where near the cloudland, university,  and hampton teams from 5 years ago

I would believe that because Hampton always gave GCA a game in recent years! My oldest was in 8th grade 5 years ago & our HS teams then were doing good to make District tourney so I have no idea what District 1 had but I will definitely take your word on it. I have always known District 1 is a historically strong basketball group of schools like we are known more for football historically. 10 years ago we faced your Region #1 UH at their place in substate and lost 69-60 in a heartbreaker. Not our best game but not our worst and I recall the feeling of not being too happy with officiating lol! The main glaring difference in this year’s GB squad and that squad is depth. There are a few others but we played one heck of a good game tonight against an equivalent UH squad to what I saw them have 10 years ago. I wish tonight we had gotten the UH squad we had saw on a lot of film! They threw a lot up from multiple players and multiple players hurt us. We kept their top scorers somewhat in check but gave up baskets to #30 & #24. If UH makes these contested baskets at close to 50% shooting I don’t see them getting beat. Tonight might have been a perfect storm for their W but I’m telling you they play anything at all like this again the current Cosby wants no part of them. I expect UH to win the semi barring a bad game (like we saw on film) & contest for the championship. I mean they had a nice little lead in the 4th & they are throwing up 3s & making them when #24 isn’t getting put backs against a good rebounding GB team. Just ask Cosby! A lot of parody in this region!

5 hours ago, ladykee said:

I really thought you guys might pull this out even in The Eagles Nest with them down a key player. Losses are tuff this time of year! I watched a lot of UH film and tonight they looked very sharp once they got their 3 balls rolling with 2 of our lanky defenders on the bench. GB played better tonight than in District championship vs Cosby! We just got handcuffed with foul trouble and it hurt us more defensively than offensively. We had a couple of spurts that we couldn’t produce & they took advantage of it. UH said one of their best games all year maybe their best. It was a 4 point game with 3 minutes to go but they stalled & we had to get aggressive and fouled. They hit all their free throws down the stretch. 

The glaring difference to me was the inability to run a half court set,when you have they players we have and the size difference you cant get sucked into a run and gun style game.Yes we dont have alot of depth BUT that makes  no difference when you have 6'6,6'3,6'2 etc to a bunch of mites and we play so undisciplined.This team is a state tournament team with a coach that knows what he is doing period!I have watched tons of great basketball on the AAU curcuit and this is a very talented team.Cullen could play for anyone!Bailey needs one on one coaching and he could be one of the best players in the state,not to mention Holden a 6'3 kid that can handle the ball like he can is a threat from anywhere but again he needs someone to reel him in and work with him.FUNDAMENTALS lost this game.You all may dissagree but even with the officials being slap happy we should have still won by 20.University had a game plan and that was to run it and make us chase and we did,when you play like that the fouls pile up.Just my honest opinion.LOL.I really like this group of kids just need some leadership.