T$$AA time to bring back the sectional

UCSportsFan

In the late 90’s and early 2000’s T$$AA had sectional games.  Where the 3rd place team out of the region went on the road and played. Jackson County won its first of 4 in a row with this format. Why did they change it?  They need to bring it back because when you have teams like Huntland, Cloudland, Unaka, Memphis Business making the substate and not a team like Clarkrange (none of these teams could come within 40 points of CR and some not even 60 points) making the substate something just isn’t right about that. Are we truly putting the best teams in the state tournament or rewarding bad teams in weak regions?  

3 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

In the late 90’s and early 2000’s T$$AA had sectional games.  Where the 3rd place team out of the region went on the road and played. Jackson County won its first of 4 in a row with this format. Why did they change it?  They need to bring it back because when you have teams like Huntland, Cloudland, Unaka, Memphis Business making the substate and not a team like Clarkrange (none of these teams could come within 40 points of CR and some not even 60 points) making the substate something just isn’t right about that. Are we truly putting the best teams in the state tournament or rewarding bad teams in weak regions?  

Sounds like somebody has a serious case of butt-hurt.

While the sectional was pretty neat, your point is laughable because you are sitting there trashing 16 and 17 year old girls and their accomplishments from other regions that have NOTHING to do with what happens in region 4 regardless if we ran a sectional format or not. 2 teams from District 8, and ONLY 2 teams from District 8 have a chance to make State in this format or the format you are advocating. And despite this fact you have to talk garbage about teams you know absolutely nothing about, that would make it to section/substate regardless if we were using our current format or the format you are advocating.

Do you even know how the sectional tournament format worked? Because it certainly seems like you don't have a clue.

Edited by crazzyness

2 hours ago, crazzyness said:

Sounds like somebody has a serious case of butt-hurt.

While the sectional was pretty neat, your point is laughable because you are sitting there trashing 16 and 17 year old girls and their accomplishments from other regions that have NOTHING to do with what happens in region 4 regardless if we ran a sectional format or not. 2 teams from District 8, and ONLY 2 teams from District 8 have a chance to make State in this format or the format you are advocating. And despite this fact you have to talk garbage about teams you know absolutely nothing about, that would make it to section/substate regardless if we were using our current format or the format you are advocating.

Do you even know how the sectional tournament format worked? Because it certainly seems like you don't have a clue.

I’m not talking garbage about any team. I’m definitely  not butt hurt moron I’m not even from Clarkrange.  Sounds like you are offended by the truth.  I know for a fact that Jackson County won a state championship coming in 3rd in the region tournament in 2000.  

So short answer is: No. You don't know how the sectional tournament went down. 

OK, there was a region tournament as usual, except the semifinals weren't do-or-die. The losers played in a 3rd place game. Winner went to sectional, loser was finished. Winner of the region championship got a bye in the first round of the sectional, so a region championship still got you into the round of 16, same as our current format. The sectional was then held in a centralized neutral site. One year here in the east it was at Thompson-Boling Arena. 

Alright, so I'll use this year as an example. 

Region 3A

1. Pickett 

2. Clay

3. Clarkrange (I think that's a safe assumption)

Region 4A

1. Moore County

2. Huntland

3. Eagleville (for arguments sake)

The brackets were lined up where the were one region's 1&3 were matched up with the opposites #2, with the 1 getting the bye. So the first round would be Clay/Eagleville (winner plays Moore County) and Clarkrange/Huntland (winner plays Pickett.)

So. Long story short, the format you are clamoring for would get us the EXACT SAME scenario we had this year with our current format (Pickett and Clarkrange playing in a loser goes home game before the state tournament) we'd just be playing more games to get there. And all the while, those teams like Cloudland, Memphis Business, Huntland, and Unaka you say are bad teams that don't deserve to still be playing would actually STILL be playing in the format you want (Unaka would actually automatically be in the round of 16 due to their Region Championship.)

The fact of the matter is that if Clarkrange would have taken care of business in District Tournament against a very mediocre (to that point in time)  Clay County team that was floating a game or two over .500 and had 0 wins over any good team, they wouldn't have been in the situation they found themselves in. Unfortunately, they didn't take care of business, and they found themselves in a hole, and couldn't dig out. It sucks, but that's the nature of post season basketball.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

The sectional was awful. Most everyone wanted the Substate back. If you are the #1 team and can't beat #4 you don't need to go to the state.  Clarkrange lost to the #4 seed.

Agree. It was a terrible format that everyone hated at the time.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, UCSportsFan said:

I’m not talking garbage about any team. I’m definitely  not butt hurt moron I’m not even from Clarkrange.  Sounds like you are offended by the truth.  I know for a fact that Jackson County won a state championship coming in 3rd in the region tournament in 2000.  

You never base a playoff system on what happened one time to one team in 2000. For you to not be a Clarkrange fan you certainly do seem to defend them a lot.  And what makes you so sure Clarkrange would have been the 3rd place team in their Region under your scenario?  They had their chances in the District to position themselves better for the Region. And they had their chances to play for in the Region finals, and they couldn't do either. 
Are you related to Whining Lamar? Would a Champions of Life trophy for Clarkrange make you feel better?  

The whole tournament format is awful. When you can lose 3 times and still make the state tournament much less win the state championship, it is really not a test of the best overall team. Most states have  the lose one and you are done  format, the way it should be.

Edited by attila

here is the change that needs to be made:

option 1

1) top 3 from district make region, make that 3rd place game worth something

2) 2v3 in region with winner playing AT 1 on home floor (makes a district title worth something)

3) then region finals with that team advancing to state!

Too many chances to lose at tourney time. a team can go 3-3 in tourney and go to state. #ridiculous

at some point, the best team in the area, has to step up and win or go home

option 2

1) same, but in region tourney you bring 4 districts together D 1-4 is region 1, D5-8 is region 2, D9-12 is Region 3, and D13-16 is Region 4....each region would have 12 teams 2v3 games with 4 district champs getting a bye to quarterfinals. Higher seed hosts until semis, then those are at a middle point....winners of these games go to state. Region final winners would play against region final losers at state.

I LIKE THIS ONE THE BEST

D1 #1 plays winner of #2 district 2 v #3 district 3

D2 #1 plays winner #2 district 3 v #3 district 4

D3 #1 plays winner of #2 district 4 v #3 district 1

D4 #1 plays winner of #2 district 1 v #2 district 2