Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2018-19 and why?

gogold

23 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

Well @Croppygenius it was close for a half lol. Better team ended up winning. Congrats to the Fillies on the district 11A title. Shelby Davis our point guard has the flu, so without her we couldn't get anything going on the offensive side. It would have been a much closer game with her on the floor. 

Fiirst half I thought the Lady Rebs were gonna pull the upset. Ferris better get those girls tuned up. They didnt play much team ball tonight but managed to get the W.

Davis not being on the floor definitely hurt McKenzie.

2 minutes ago, AllVolHere said:

Fiirst half I thought the Lady Rebs were gonna pull the upset. Ferris better get those girls tuned up. They didnt play much team ball tonight but managed to get the W.

Davis not being on the floor definitely hurt McKenzie.

The Fillies played much better in the second half. Yea we played hard the whole game but foul trouble and Davis not playing were the deciding factors. Fillies better turn it up if they want to beat Loretto or Summertown. 

20 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I don't think GC has a problem playing anywhere, any time. GC has held huge crowds and always has. Girls and Boys. But the fact that 13 A got to play their District Tournament at the same college venue that the Region is is totally crossing the ethical lines, IMO. Ought to be a bylaw that wouldn't allow it. But it is what it is and we will use it as motivation I am sure providing we get there. I think GC has been OK with it because they have a don't care who they play when they play attitude. How do you think Greenfield and 13 A would have reacted if 14 A was having all there's at the same college venue?  They wouldn't have allowed it. 

But your solution (or bylaw even) would be to have one of the schools (Gibson County, of course) to host it every year?? Don't they practice daily in their own gym? And yet, nobody would bring ethics into it, I think. If we're working on the bylaws, my guess would be need to put something in there about playing all regional tourney games at a neutral site...maybe somewhere like a local college gym where none of the teams have "practiced" there, though we know most go there for summer camp anyway. Now if only there was such a facility around here that could host something like that...

And I'm not sure you can say Greenfield "wouldn't have allowed it" because that is voted on by the host district I think. There have been times one district/region has been held at Bethel, and now looks like UTM may get involved in the regional mix/rotation.

Edited by Newkidontheblock
forgot part of my point
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newkidontheblock said:

But your solution (or bylaw even) would be to have one of the schools (Gibson County, of course) to host it every year?? Don't they practice daily in their own gym? And yet, nobody would bring ethics into it, I think. 

It's obviously the only gym in the region that can stand holding a region tournament... Gibson held it for at least a decade straight back in the 90's and 2000's with schools who are much larger than what we have around here now. Gibson County even lost some of those games on their home floor in front of a lot of people even with the advantage that you speak of.

19 hours ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Greenfield will never get to host a tournament and you know that. I just heard Loretto has over 500 students and do you hear anybody from Greenfield complaining about that. No and you won’t because we don’t make excuses.

We ought to be looking at this as a big advantage playing at the college and getting use to the wide open space and big gym.  

Maybe not about Loretto, but I did hear your coach on the Coaches Corner show one Saturday talking about how Union City was obviously a 2A school. Not sure where he got those numbers, and he was probably only talking about the boys game in this instance, but it's not the first time he has made comments like this. And the odd thing is, Union City is not even the biggest school in the region...but again, as you said, none of those other schools on the A/AA borderline seem to get mentioned. 

19 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

All at a HS setting. All I am saying is AllVol talking about UTM being a tough place to get accustomed to. Well they get to play District there and Region so they get to get accustomed to it.

Now I'm having second thoughts...I see your point. I say state tournament at Riverdale now instead of MTSU for better shooting.

I kid, I kid...kinda.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

It's obviously the only gym in the region that can stand holding a region tournament... Gibson held it for at least a decade straight back in the 90's and 2000's with schools who are much larger than what we have around here now. Gibson County even lost some of those games on their home floor in front of a lot of people even with the advantage that you speak of.

So what you're saying is, no matter who has played at a location more, the better team will win.  You literally just made the argument that it doesn't matter that 13A is playing at UTM for districts.  You just said that even though y'all practiced at GC gym every day and played half of your games there, that there was no advantage, because the best team won in the end.  To get to my point of view, I agree that it may give a slight advantage to 13A, but not enough to make a difference, especially after we would have to go back to a high school gym for the first round of regional's and get accustomed to that gym again.  The greater advantage would be to have it at your home court where all of your fans will be packing the house every game.  Gibson County travels well anyways, but if you have it at home, you have everyone in the fan base there, as opposed to 50-75%.  In the end, it's just better for 13A to have the tournament at UTM because even our biggest gym in the district can't handle the crowds from all four schools.  It was standing room only in Gleason last year and the UTM gym was filled up pretty good Wednesday night, when several people missed the game because of church.  At the end of the day, having regional's at UTM will give everyone plenty of room and the best teams will win regardless.

7 minutes ago, JacketPride5 said:

So what you're saying is, no matter who has played at a location more, the better team will win.  You literally just made the argument that it doesn't matter that 13A is playing at UTM for districts.  You just said that even though y'all practiced at GC gym every day and played half of your games there, that there was no advantage, because the best team won in the end.  To get to my point of view, I agree that it may give a slight advantage to 13A, but not enough to make a difference, especially after we would have to go back to a high school gym for the first round of regional's and get accustomed to that gym again.  The greater advantage would be to have it at your home court where all of your fans will be packing the house every game.  Gibson County travels well anyways, but if you have it at home, you have everyone in the fan base there, as opposed to 50-75%.  In the end, it's just better for 13A to have the tournament at UTM because even our biggest gym in the district can't handle the crowds from all four schools.  It was standing room only in Gleason last year and the UTM gym was filled up pretty good Wednesday night, when several people missed the game because of church.  At the end of the day, having regional's at UTM will give everyone plenty of room and the best teams will win regardless.

No, I did not say the better team will win, you just said that. I did not insinuate that in any way. You just took what I said and twisted it to how you wanted it to sound. Gibson was good, but the games they played were against other really good teams who beat them. The reality is, 13A teams have an advantage over 14A teams having played on UTM's court recently and adjusting to the backdrop. If you don't think it matters, you're wrong. End of conversation.

Edited by GCPioneer

44 minutes ago, Newkidontheblock said:

But your solution (or bylaw even) would be to have one of the schools (Gibson County, of course) to host it every year?? Don't they practice daily in their own gym? And yet, nobody would bring ethics into it, I think. If we're working on the bylaws, my guess would be need to put something in there about playing all regional tourney games at a neutral site...maybe somewhere like a local college gym where none of the teams have "practiced" there, though we know most go there for summer camp anyway. Now if only there was such a facility around here that could host something like that...

And I'm not sure you can say Greenfield "wouldn't have allowed it" because that is voted on by the host district I think. There have been times one district/region has been held at Bethel, and now looks like UTM may get involved in the regional mix/rotation.

Your making stuff up now. I didn't say GC to host it every year. I am just saying it is not morally right for any team including GC to play the district and the Region in a college venue and the other district have to come over and play in that college venue after playing in a HS gym. It is what it is. We get there we will be ready I will assure you. 

47 minutes ago, Newkidontheblock said:

Now I'm having second thoughts...I see your point. I say state tournament at Riverdale now instead of MTSU for better shooting.

I kid, I kid...kinda.

GC whining somebody has a unfair advantage for a couple 10 minute warmups but yet they want to have regions at their gym where they hosted district too. Kinda the pot callin the kettle black.....

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Your making stuff up now. I didn't say GC to host it every year. I am just saying it is not morally right for any team including GC to play the district and the Region in a college venue and the other district have to come over and play in that college venue after playing in a HS gym. It is what it is. We get there we will be ready I will assure you. 

My bad...GCPioneer said "Why not just play this tournament at Gibson County every year and spread the money evenly among the teams in the Region tournament..."

I honestly didn't mean to misquote you. I just forgot who had said what, because i entered this conversation late. I probably just should have stayed out of it altogether. Both sides have valid points. I just thought it was crazy to say one side has an unfair advantage BUT let's have all games in this or that high school gym. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Newkidontheblock said:

My bad...GCPioneer said "Why not just play this tournament at Gibson County every year and spread the money evenly among the teams in the Region tournament..."

I honestly didn't mean to misquote you. I just forgot who had said what, because i entered this conversation late. I probably just should have stayed out of it altogether. Both sides have valid points. I just thought it was crazy to say one side has an unfair advantage BUT let's have all games in this or that high school gym. 

No problem. I am not going to talk about it any more. It is what it is. Good luck to all. May the best teams win and prayers to all the teams and fans for safety throughout.