Covington Football 2018

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

and last year Covington had to travel in the semifinals and won at Pearl-Cohn in order to reach Cookeville.  This year Middle TN travels to West TN on Thanksgiving.

Covington will probably be the favorite on that side of the bracket with PC just a little behind in the polls.

Chargers lost some quality Linemen to graduation.  PC lost a lot of skill players, their most explosive player #2, and an all State lineman.

If they have a rematch in the semis, could be one of the best games in 3A again this year.

4 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Covington will probably be the favorite on that side of the bracket with PC just a little behind in the polls.

Chargers lost some quality Linemen to graduation.  PC lost a lot of skill players, their most explosive player #2, and an all State lineman.

If they have a rematch in the semis, could be one of the best games in 3A again this year.

Agreed!  Pearl-Cohn does return a Division I player at QB, a receiver who just committed to Vandy, and their leading rusher from last season.  They'll be a strong force once again here in the Midstate.  Stratford, East Nashville, and Giles County will be their strongest tests in the region. 

2 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Agreed!  Pearl-Cohn does return a Division I player at QB, a receiver who just committed to Vandy, and their leading rusher from last season.  They'll be a strong force once again here in the Midstate.  Stratford, East Nashville, and Giles County will be their strongest tests in the region. 

PC can always be evaluated by their non district games IMHO. MBA and CPA usually tell you where PC really is. Last yrs  Cookeville  game was kind of the mid season litmus test for them. 

Much respect for the way PC schedules tough teams. They don't run from anybody. There's schools with 1800 kids in east tn that will travel a 100 miles to play a 4a team with a losing record to avoid competition

So you boys lost a lot on the line?  Maybe we can match up a little better up front this year. I really felt like that is where we were outmatched with you guys last year. I don’t think it’s any secret that we have had a lot of coaching turnover. But I am really excited about the additions of a couple of assistants on the offensive side of the ball. New O line coach who was the O line coach at Liberty when they made their run to Cookeville and an offensive coordinator who used to be the O line coach at Oakland. I think these two and their expertise in the trenches could be a big help to us this year. Maybe we will have a little something for you guys....

On 7/3/2018 at 7:14 AM, 32hammer said:

I would love to see that game again. We lost some guys but luckily I think this  Sophomore junior class is Legit and those kids have alot ot playing time. Good luck to everyone in the season.

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

So you boys lost a lot on the line?  Maybe we can match up a little better up front this year. I really felt like that is where we were outmatched with you guys last year. I don’t think it’s any secret that we have had a lot of coaching turnover. But I am really excited about the additions of a couple of assistants on the offensive side of the ball. New O line coach who was the O line coach at Liberty when they made their run to Cookeville and an offensive coordinator who used to be the O line coach at Oakland. I think these two and their expertise in the trenches could be a big help to us this year. Maybe we will have a little something for you guys....

We will bigger across the line but a lot less experienced most of the senior lineman we lost had played together since sixth grade. Both Milan game were down to the wire last year and I expect the same type games this year. I feel the winner of Covington and Milan in playoffs will face PC in semis but u never know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 1:41 PM, bglass said:

We will bigger across the line but a lot less experienced most of the senior lineman we lost had played together since sixth grade. Both Milan game were down to the wire last year and I expect the same type games this year. I feel the winner of Covington and Milan in playoffs will face PC in semis but u never know.

Not throwing rocks. ( i live in a glass house ) Milan went 6-6 last year, Lost 20 plus seniors, has several new coaches, and a new head coach. 

Its hard for me to go along with the this idea. Milan to beat Covington and to make it to semis is a LONG stretch IMO. 

Milan does have a bunch of talented football players coming up. Can the coaching staff put it all together and win ball games? I don't know. That's why we line up and play!

In a 3 way scrimmage tonight in Jackson, TCA shredded the Covington defense with their air attack with completions to all the receivers who played. The TCA/Covington part if the scrimmage was 3-2 in favor of TCA.  With that being said, Covington was for the most part very fundamentally sound.  I can imagine that their offensive schemes can give defensive coordinators nightmares.

8 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

In a 3 way scrimmage tonight in Jackson, TCA shredded the Covington defense with their air attack with completions to all the receivers who played. The TCA/Covington part if the scrimmage was 3-2 in favor of TCA.  With that being said, Covington was for the most part very fundamentally sound.  I can imagine that their offensive schemes can give defensive coordinators nightmares.

Heard the Huntingdon Mustangs coming to Covington this week to scrimmage. Don't know day or time but promise you it will be competitive!