Lebanon Coach Gentry to Smith Co.?

birddogg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, birddogg said:

With the Smith Co Head Coaching  job opening up yesterday will Chuck Gentry leave Lebanon?  I know is a Smith Co graduate and still lives in Carthage. Im sure he is a target. 

Better chance to win at Smith County long term.  He has done a great job at Lebanon however.

18 hours ago, birddogg said:

Ive been digging with the Smith Co guys I know. He has been contacted for the opening. Thats all they know. And he has for sure done a great job at Lebanon. The only better pick for Smith Co Is Gary Rankin. And I do not see Rankin being interested at all. 

I can see Coach Maynord making a return trip to Smith County.  I think deep down he probably sees that the region he is in at Cookeville is almost insurmountable.  But he has done a great job at Cookeville.  He may even still live close to Smith County.  Not sure about that however.

5 minutes ago, ocac said:

I can see Coach Maynord making a return trip to Smith County.  I think deep down he probably sees that the region he is in at Cookeville is almost insurmountable.  But he has done a great job at Cookeville.  He may even still live close to Smith County.  Not sure about that however.

If I'm not mistaken, Coach Maynord has never resided in SC. I believe he has always lived in Putnam Co., maybe in the Baxter area. I agree that Cookeville is in a tough Region but he has done a good job with them, they continue to make the playoffs year in and year out. I dont see him leaving CHS to return but it could happen. 

21 hours ago, birddogg said:

Ive been digging with the Smith Co guys I know. He has been contacted for the opening. Thats all they know. And he has for sure done a great job at Lebanon. The only better pick for Smith Co Is Gary Rankin. And I do not see Rankin being interested at all. 

Rankin has already been there and done that.  He was there BEFORE he went to R'dale.

Gentry has shown he will do well where ever he Coaches and would be a great fit at his home at Carthage.

Now the MAIN consideration, how is the MONEY at Carthage over Lebanon?  Is it enough more at Lebanon to justify the drive both ways every day?  How about the TIME it takes for the drives?  TIME is one thing neither school can buy the Coach.  How about wear and tear on his car?  Either school have a booster with a car dealership.........not that a loaner has ever been given to a coach to use.........for FREE.....

Gentry, I believe, still lives in Smith County. I could be wrong, though.

The money in Smith is peanuts compared to Wilson County, so there's that.

I heard of other issues that helped lead him to go to Cookeville, so they may also keep him from returning to Smith. 

But, I would make him and Josh Hackett tell me no.

2 hours ago, croz6110 said:

Gentry, I believe, still lives in Smith County. I could be wrong, though.

The money in Smith is peanuts compared to Wilson County, so there's that.

I heard of other issues that helped lead him to go to Cookeville, so they may also keep him from returning to Smith. 

But, I would make him and Josh Hackett tell me no.

Either of those guys would be an excellent choice. I'm afraid they're both in better positions at their current jobs though.