Catholic @ OR

SweetScience

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

Your track record against the top DII teams in Tennessee does not indicate you will be very successful. Maybe next year we talk about it again? Oh, and have fun running all over the state for games. Hope your little precious students don't miss much sleep.

Since football games are played on Friday nights there won’t be too much missed sleep for the precious students. If you’re referring to other the sports at Catholic, they will be grouped in a district  with the Chattanooga private’s. As a teacher in Knox County Schools I’m glad you’re concerned about their academic welfare. 

Edited by QSouth89

18 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Catholic winning is one of the best things that could happen to high school football in Tennessee. I am glad they beat Fulton and West also. Now if they beat Central and who ever else on their way for the state Championship their mission will be complete. The residual effects of these victories l hope will be long lasting and not forgotten by OR, Fulton, West, and who ever else they beat on the way to possibly this championship, and their other championships they have won. Hopefully the sting, bad taste in their mouth, pain, agony of defeat etc of OR, Fulton, West, and who ever else Catholic beats will spurn those schools to never make a decision to let recruiting privates play for a championship in the public division ever again.                           Catholics pay back will come in future years when they have to play in the top private division. They will never win another state championship in football again.

Couldn’t agree more and forgot all about that scholarship/recruiting they do and have been doing for years. I guess it is only fitting that they get the boot to division 2. Best of luck. Lots of window time ahead. 

Oak Ridge should worry about their crappy field and why no one showed up to watch their team play. Pretty pathetic that a "powerhouse" program had such little support. I guess not winning anything for 30 years will make fans complacent and expecting to lose. Can Oak Ridge win anything now that Catholic will be D2, probably not.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, whytheattitude said:

Oak Ridge should worry about their crappy field and why no one showed up to watch their team play. Pretty pathetic that a "powerhouse" program had such little support. I guess not winning anything for 30 years will make fans complacent and expecting to lose. Can Oak Ridge win anything now that Catholic will be D2, probably not.

Not with Joe Gaddis as the head coach. This once proud program is now so irrelevant- their stadium is old, their fans are old, their success is old. They have 7 built-in wins in their schedule every fall-they lost to every good team they played this year. Gaddis runs a "loose ship"...the players don't have the discipline to compete on a championship level (like Maryville's). He is not good at in-game adjustments; Oak Ridge just blew a 19-point 3rd quarter lead! Joe Gaddis-led teams are now 7-6 in playoff games since his return to Oak Ridge High School over the last 6 seasons, and in 3 of those he had at least a semi-finalist for 5A player of the year! Henry County has enjoyed much more success since Joe came "home."

2 hours ago, WildcatRealist said:

Not with Joe Gaddis as the head coach. This once proud program is now so irrelevant- their stadium is old, their fans are old, their success is old. They have 7 built-in wins in their schedule every fall-they lost to every good team they played this year. Gaddis runs a "loose ship"...the players don't have the discipline to compete on a championship level (like Maryville's). He is not good at in-game adjustments; Oak Ridge just blew a 19-point 3rd quarter lead! Joe Gaddis-led teams are now 7-6 in playoff games since his return to Oak Ridge High School over the last 6 seasons, and in 3 of those he had at least a semi-finalist for 5A player of the year! Henry County has enjoyed much more success since Joe came "home."

I mean, no offense, but did you happen to notice the size and strength differential of both teams on the lines? We were fortunate to be up as much as we were because of that turnover they had on the 1 yard line. We had a decidedly speed advantage over them but that was it. When those big hosses up front decided it was time to kick some proverbial a$!, there was nothing we could do about it. They were simply bigger and stronger than us.

Yes, the play calling 2nd half was very head scratching worthy, but the better team won Friday night. Period. We don't have the luxury of going out and getting the best OL prospects in East TN year in year out like Catholic does. With the D1 guys on the line this year, plus Mays from last year is about 4-5 D1 offensive linemen in the past 2 years. Anybody that knows anything about football knows that if you have 2 similarly skilled teams athletically speaking, the one with the superior line play always wins out 9 out of 10 times and that was the case Friday night. 

Edited by SweetScience
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, whytheattitude said:

I agree, hate to agree, but do. The support has been pretty bad. The field is being replaced this off season as well.

OR can and will continue to win. We wish the best of luck to Catholic in their new league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I mean, no offense, but did you happen to notice the size and strength differential of both teams on the lines? We were fortunate to be up as much as we were because of that turnover they had on the 1 yard line. We had a decidedly speed advantage over them but that was it. When those big hosses up front decided it was time to kick some proverbial a$!, there was nothing we could do about it. They were simply bigger and stronger than us.

Yes, the play calling 2nd half was very head scratching worthy, but the better team won Friday night. Period. We don't have the luxury of going out and getting the best OL prospects in East TN year in year out like Catholic does. With the D1 guys on the line this year, plus Mays from last year is about 4-5 D1 offensive linemen in the past 2 years. Anybody that knows anything about football knows that if you have 2 similarly skilled teams athletically speaking, the one with the superior line play always wins out 9 out of 10 times and that was the case Friday night. 

I agree with you SweetScience.  Bladerunner hates Gaddis and nothing he says is to be taken seriously. My biggest concern is our defense the other night because when you score 40 points you assume you'll win. As far as their linemen are concerned, they all looked the same and we had nobody that looked even close to theirs. I'm not sure why Catholic was even allowed to be the only private school playing public but it cost OR two real chances at state championships. Next year they'll be where they belong and they probably will never win another championship. While we won't be nearly as good anytime in the near future (if the freshmen, RMS, and JMS are any indication)

4 hours ago, whytheattitude said:

You're right about the field and the support. The field will hopefully be addressed soon and the support has to do with age as much as anything (that's my theory). The community is old and the fans are old. Young people rarely move into OR, at least not like they do into the surrounding areas. The OR tax base is too high and the price of homes here is too high compared to other areas close by.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Definitely agree.  To advance further into the playoffs, we are going to need some lineman like we had 10-15 years ago.  We were fortunate this year to have had 66 move into town.  We should be better on the line with everyone coming back.  I don't think we will have as much of a drop off as many people think, but I'll save that for the 2019 thread (which doesn't need to start for a couple of weeks).  

As far as crowds, those of us who care about Wildcat football need to continue to promote the program.  Stop pining for the past and be persuasive for the guys (kids) we have in the program now.  

As far as the field goes, it was in much better shape than it was last year.  Sad to see the turf go, but I am glad the stadium is finally getting a much needed upgrade.

32 minutes ago, boyfromsi said:

Definitely agree.  To advance further into the playoffs, we are going to need some lineman like we had 10-15 years ago.  We were fortunate this year to have had 66 move into town.  We should be better on the line with everyone coming back.  I don't think we will have as much of a drop off as many people think, but I'll save that for the 2019 thread (which doesn't need to start for a couple of weeks).  

As far as crowds, those of us who care about Wildcat football need to continue to promote the program.  Stop pining for the past and be persuasive for the guys (kids) we have in the program now.  

As far as the field goes, it was in much better shape than it was last year.  Sad to see the turf go, but I am glad the stadium is finally getting a much needed upgrade.

Well said, especially the old timer fans pining for the past. I am tired of hearing the excuses that OR is a town full of old folks. While that may be true in a sense it's a very lame a$! excuse. You're telling me that a city with approximately 30 thousand people in it don't have enough fans to fill up a little high school stadium? Get real.