2018-2019 Miss Basketball Nominations

WolfPack101

Just now, GCPioneer said:

While Miller is the one that scores a lot of the points, I feel like Transou is the one that makes South Side really go.... that's not a knock or a slight towards Miller as she's a great scorer, but Transou brings a ton of energy to the game and I feel like South Side thrives off of that throughout the game.

Yes they are one of the best one two punches in the state! Makayla Transou is my cousin! She definitely is our heartbeat! Miller gives us scoring, but Transou is very capable of taking over at any given time! She has over 1200 career points! Not too bad for a #2 score! A lot of times she takes the backseat & let Miller go for 40! So I guess that’s a good problem to have! 

• Like 1

They nominated Darby and Moore last year, why not nominate Miller and Transou. Being nominated is a honor in itself, let alone a finalist. Our news outlet doesn't push our girls as much as they do the single A and D2 girls and thats part of the issue. The committee looks at who's name is out there. Moore is all that's left. Emily Jones (D2) eliminated and Macey Lee(singleA) eliminated. There was no girl from West Tn even mentioned in the conversation. And I agree, Miller and Transou from SS and Hardaway from Bolivar should at least been nominated 

I think it's safe to say that several players across the state feel they have gotten snubbed not the Miss Basketball stuff, some have legit arguments and some not so much. I have a pretty good grasp on what's out there throughout the state as far as talent and players go, and I'll admit, cutting it down to 3 players in each class is VERY tough to do. There's a ton of talent around the entire state which makes it even tougher. I'm not making excuses for anyone, but it is a tough job narrowing it down to 3 players per class.

1 hour ago, RealisticFan45 said:

They nominated Darby and Moore last year, why not nominate Miller and Transou. Being nominated is a honor in itself, let alone a finalist. Our news outlet doesn't push our girls as much as they do the single A and D2 girls and thats part of the issue. The committee looks at who's name is out there. Moore is all that's left. Emily Jones (D2) eliminated and Macey Lee(singleA) eliminated. There was no girl from West Tn even mentioned in the conversation. And I agree, Miller and Transou from SS and Hardaway from Bolivar should at least been nominated 

How do you get nominated?  Who does the nominating?  Just curios, please shed some light on how it’s done if you truly know. 

3 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

I agree it’s definitely our news outlets not pushing in our area! That’s a true statement! 

4 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

What has happened to the Jackson Sun? We don't post scores until the day after the game and they just started covering teams and players when tournaments started. I feel like they should do more to promote high school sports in our area.

3 hours ago, Greenfieldfan said:

How do you get nominated?  Who does the nominating?  Just curios, please shed some light on how it’s done if you truly know. 

Coaches and media/newswriters in the respective area. So a player has to be highlighted to garner attention from the media. Then they send that to a "committee". Somewhere between point A and point B they come up with the winner. Absolutely no politics involved......this is sarcasm. 

55 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

What has happened to the Jackson Sun? We don't post scores until the day after the game and they just started covering teams and players when tournaments started. I feel like they should do more to promote high school sports in our area.

The paper goes to press before any of the girls games even go final.  Part of the dying art of paper journalism.  Sports section is virtually identical to Memphis paper save the one local article per day.  Sad but it is what it is...

1 hour ago, rebelman101 said:

Let’s just say to me Jackson Sun only covers one school in Jackson & that is USJ !