5A & 6A AP Poll

For the last 3 years SD has been picked as the preseason favorite in region 2-5A by many, and I'll agree they have been more talented. That talent hasn't shown up by the end of the season. Two state championship games and a semifinal later Central has had the upper hand, including beating SD with a freshman 3rd string QB 2 years ago. And I'll be the first to say that they have more talent again this year. In my opinion they have the ability to win the state. But for some reason SD has trouble keeping that talent on the field by the end of the year. Mental toughness is a question. Injuries happen but sometimes you have to play through them. Players that need to come out of the game every other play don't help the team, regardless of how good they are supposed to be. The game at SD near the end of the season should be a battle.

Powell looks good! Not sure if the rest of the region can measure up. Other teams in the region will need to improve if they are going to have a chance to beat them.

All this being said, I don't know that Central is the #1 team in the state. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it but I think there are 3-4 teams in the Knoxville area that could win the state and a couple in west TN that could make an statement for themselves.

• Like 1

Central has won 14 straight games. No question that they should be #1. South Doyle should both be in the top 10 and they probably will be after this week and for the rest of the year. In my opinion Central, Powell, and South Doyle are all top 5 teams in 5A and 1 of the 3 will represent the East in the state championship.

Edited by WoodlawnFalcons
misspelling

Division I

Class 6A

Record  Pts  Prv

1. Oakland (14)       2-0        157  1

2. Maryville              2-0        140  2

3. Whitehaven (1)    2-0        126  3

4. Ravenwood (1)    2-0        113  4

5. Brentwood           2-0         93   8

6. Riverdale             2-0         65   9

7. Bradley Central   1-1         28  10

8. Germantown       1-1         27   6

9. Cordova              2-0         22   NR

10. Blackman          0-2         21   5

Others receiving 12 or more points: Farragut 20. Dobyns Bennett 19. Houston 19. Stewarts Creek 13.

Edited by Red Rebels
First-place votes in parentheses, records through September 2, 2019

Division I

Class 5A

Record  Pts    Prv

1. Knox Central (13)       2-0        150   1

2. Beech (1)                    2-0        141   2 

3. David Crockett (1)      1-0         99     T5

4. Page                           2-0         93    T5

5. Powell                         2-0         85    8

6. South Doyle (1)           2-0         66   NR

7. Kirby                            2-0         64   9

8. Henry County              0-2         46   3

9. Summit                        2-0         37  10

10. Hillsboro                    1-1         33   4

Others receiving 12 or more points: Knoxville West 20. Gallatin 19.

Edited by Red Rebels
First-place votes in parentheses, records through September 2, 2019

7 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Division I

Class 6A

Record  Pts  Prv

1. Oakland (14)       2-0        157  1

2. Maryville              2-0        140  2

3. Whitehaven (1)    2-0        126  3

4. Ravenwood (1)    2-0        113  4

Looking at the total points, someone voted Oakland at #3. It was either the Whitehaven or Ravenwood #1 voter. 

Edited by Red Rebels

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

Division I

Class 5A

Record  Pts    Prv

1. Knox Central (13)       2-0        150   1

2. Beech (1)                    2-0        141   2 

3. David Crockett (1)      1-0         99     T5

4. Page                           2-0         93    T5

5. Powell                         2-0         85    8

6. South Doyle (1)           2-0         66   NR

7. Kirby                            2-0         64   9

8. Henry County              0-2         46   3

9. Summit                        2-0         37  10

10. Hillsboro                    1-1         33   4

Others receiving 12 or more points: Knoxville West 20. Gallatin 19.

South-Doyle is your best team in 5A.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, dawgs82 said:

For the last 3 years SD has been picked as the preseason favorite in region 2-5A by many, and I'll agree they have been more talented. That talent hasn't shown up by the end of the season. Two state championship games and a semifinal later Central has had the upper hand, including beating SD with a freshman 3rd string QB 2 years ago. And I'll be the first to say that they have more talent again this year. In my opinion they have the ability to win the state. But for some reason SD has trouble keeping that talent on the field by the end of the year. Mental toughness is a question. Injuries happen but sometimes you have to play through them. Players that need to come out of the game every other play don't help the team, regardless of how good they are supposed to be. The game at SD near the end of the season should be a battle.

Powell looks good! Not sure if the rest of the region can measure up. Other teams in the region will need to improve if they are going to have a chance to beat them.

All this being said, I don't know that Central is the #1 team in the state. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it but I think there are 3-4 teams in the Knoxville area that could win the state and a couple in west TN that could make an statement for themselves.

I agree that SD has had more talent in the skill positions but 2 years ago they had a lot of sophomore lineman and skill players playing both ways and were still thin last year. I believe this year they are stronger in the trenches and will represent the East!

2 hours ago, eers said:

I don’t see it. 

Until they lose you have to give the nod to Central. After that I believe the next 3 (maybe 4) best teams are from the west... more on that after Friday’s games. 

I've seen them both play in person. Central 13-12 over Fulton. S-D 42 Fulton 3. That should give you a hint right there. I also watched the replay of GCA game they won 61-7. Much harder to separate yourself by 55 points with mercy rule in place and GCA isn't a horrible team either. S-D has to many weapons to go to.

• Upvote 1