Who will Challenge Powell in 5a?

keepitmoving

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan1977 said:

West and SD. Don’t count out SD just because of what happened at AC. AC is a solid team, just ask Coach Lowe and Powell. SD will be solid, and if QB returns could continue to advance. But, I like Powell’s skill and upfront strength. 

SD and West are the only one. As far as AC goes Lowe was talking about the schedule on the coaches media day and was saying AC was going to be a tough game despite having graduated all those seniors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knoxfan28 said:

I don't think you really understand how one dimensional South Doyle made their offense during that Anderson County game. Their backup QB has been looking just as good as Brang since that game. And rumor has it Brang will be back in time for playoffs. Bring Powell South of the River for the final game of the season and you'll see what the Cherokees are made of. That South Doyle defense is nasty this year and Elijah Young is only playing offense.

I don't think you really understand! Powell beat Anderson  County....SD got beat down by AC!!

10 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

I don't think you really understand! Powell beat Anderson  County....SD got beat down by AC!!

A week after their starting QB of 3 years suffered a big injury. I’ll tell you what that game plan was. Hand the ball off to Elijah Young and Anderson County loaded the box. You can’t get a backup QB ready in a week. I don’t see how someone can logically believe after watching that game that SD was running their normal offense. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, knoxfan28 said:

A week after their starting QB of 3 years suffered a big injury. I’ll tell you what that game plan was. Hand the ball off to Elijah Young and Anderson County loaded the box. You can’t get a backup QB ready in a week. I don’t see how someone can logically believe after watching that game that SD was running their normal offense. 

AC played a 4-2-5 against SD with a Dog backer that would play the edge if he didn't have anyone to guard passing wise. That is hardly loading the box and they ran Nickle and Dime on passing downs.

Of the teams left on their schedule I think West can. West I think has the athletes to match Powell.  South Doyle will be a challenge but with SD without their starting QB it will be tough even if Young has a decent game. 

As far as the playoffs in the East The same two above may get another shot. Knox Central is always tough come playoff time. Rhea with the style of game they play may make things interesting. But I still think Powell wins that match up though. Crockett has the offense to match Powell but not the defense. 

Out west Gallatin, Henry Co Beech maybe Summit or Ridgeway. Could present a challenge 

In 5a region 3, I don't see anyone getting in Powell's way if they can stay healthy from hear on out.  I do believe West, and South Doyle will be good games.  Powell's passing attack is hard for HS teams to deal with.  Most HS teams have 1 maybe 2 CB and or a safety that can cover.  Powell has 6 legit D1 WR'S that they rotate in and out and keep fresh.  So really if you stop there pass game, then you have to deal with there 3 RB that are all capable of taking it to the house on any given play.  Teams are just going to have to outscore Powell and not turn the ball over to beat them.  That is  a tall task. 

4 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

I'm thinking only West has a chance. South-Doyle looked good early, but after losing their starting  QB and the way the got hammered by Anderson County , I don't see them as a threat. 

And just think..Coach "Mud Flap " Matt Lowe is just getting started!:thumb:

I agree West has a very good shot!

11 hours ago, knoxfan28 said:

I don't think you really understand how one dimensional South Doyle made their offense during that Anderson County game. Their backup QB has been looking just as good as Brang since that game. And rumor has it Brang will be back in time for playoffs. Bring Powell South of the River for the final game of the season and you'll see what the Cherokees are made of. That South Doyle defense is nasty this year and Elijah Young is only playing offense.

I agree. West has a great defense as usual but not enough offense for Powell. I think SD will be the only team in conference that can beat Powell. To beat Powell you have to have balance and AC run out of steam on the defense. Should have won but did Learn a good lesson and improved sense.. Must have balance to beat Powell multi-weapons on offense this year. The more I watch SD the more I believe they can beat Powell. But every week is different. 

West and Powell will be a shootout, as will Central and South Doyle in region 2.  

And unless something unlikely happens between now and then, those teams have a great shot at meeting again in the quarterfinals, IMO, with the winners meeting in the semis for an opportunity to go to to Cookeville.  

5A is strong and deep in the Knoxville metro this year.