MEDIA COVERAGE OF HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

GeneralForrest

Can’t complain about Chattanooga Area. Print media, radio talk shows and major network news get out and covers. Oh, we’d like a little more but it’s all good. Guys like Hargis, Cowboy and crew, Radio out of Dayton- Eagle FM? TV Channels 3,9, and 12. We Thank you 

Tennessee high school sports aren't covered to the magnitude that they should be. It is actually sad if you compare the coverage to states around Tennessee. In states like Georgia and Alabama, news stations have their own high school highlight shows on Friday nights at 10pm and some even have a pregame show at different games each week. 

Edited by WingT08

30 minutes ago, Turu said:

Can’t complain about Chattanooga Area. Print media, radio talk shows and major network news get out and covers. Oh, we’d like a little more but it’s all good. Guys like Hargis, Cowboy and crew, Radio out of Dayton- Eagle FM? TV Channels 3,9, and 12. We Thank you 

Also there is a couple good Podcasts for the Chattanooga area as well with SETN Preps and a new one Friday Night Rivals the podcast 

1 hour ago, WingT08 said:

Tennessee high school sports aren't covered to the magnitude that they should be. It is actually sad if you compare the coverage to states around Tennessee. In states like Georgia and Alabama, news stations have their own high school highlight shows on Friday nights at 10pm and some even have a pregame show at different games each week. 

this is a great post. Local news spends 90% of the time telling us about a liquor store knock off in clarksville, i mean, maybe we need another 500 vaping stories. these are our local kids. the small town schools count too

22 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I would have to disagree with you. I can't speak for the middle part of the state or for the eastern part of the state but west of the Tennessee River almost every team outside of Shelby County has media coverage and some or all of their games covered either buy radio, streaming audio, or streaming video. I can only think of maybe four teams that do not have any regular media coverage in West Tennessee.

Completely agree. 

What I always find funny is when you they publish " all state teams " in each classification the number of players from east and middle TN FAR out way the number of boys from west TN. It used to piss me off but I have learned that they are catering to their audience and could a rip about us over here on the left side of the state. 

If memory serves me correct, last years all state 3a team from 1 publication had 26 players selected and 3 of them were from west TN and, 2 of those kids were from Covington. The other 23 were from middle or east TN. 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:08 AM, WingT08 said:

Tennessean tried to a few years ago. Had writers in all the surrounding counties (except Wilson for some reason). Higher ups decided they wanted more money for themselves, cut the prep sports budget drastically and axed all the local guys. 

The one in Sumner County had three guys there for a while, then two, then down to one. All of a sudden this thing called Main Street comes along and steals all his freelancers, takes all the ideas they have and claims them for their own.

Now, Gannett doesn't have a local guy there and folks are left with Main Street - and the writing is horrible. Sad, really, that there isn't competition to make them better. 

18 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

We're not a major network, General, but I think we offer fair coverage for all classes.   Maybe you should give us a listen one Friday...

Wish you all could get over to the Eastern side you would love a game at Cooper field in Greenback with the pickups around the field.Heck we would get you all in one!Did it for Mark Packer!That Johnson woman would make you some cookies too!

Edited by orngnblk

Just now, orngnblk said:

Wish you all could get over to the Eastern side you would love a game at Cooper field in Greenback with the pickups around the field.Heck we would get you all in one!Did it for Mark Packer!

We might plan that trip for next season.   We get Coach Ryan on the show each season and really love watching your team play.   I'll talk to that Teat man about it...

On 10/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, GeneralAmerigha said:

even the network highlight shows only feature 5A and 6A and DII schools. its all abotu money. lets admit it. Montgomery Bell can afford to pay a reporter to literally talk to the cam about he game while the game is going on in the distance behind him in real time. all the live games are 6A or private 

GA, you are correct about the MT coverage. One of the TV sports roundups is almost exclusively D2 and Williamson Co. Kinda gets old. Even here in Rutherford lil ole Eagleville often gets left out of local coverage. Probably had the best run the last two years and some of the playoff games weren’t covered in some of the local papers. One covered them well but others not so much. 

As far as West TN goes, Jackson is the fill gap. The Memphis channels are a lot like Nashville. Mainly private’s and metro. An occasional Covington, Haywood, and MS school. Jackson covers basically everything else. Most of those are smaller schools. As a matter of fact their “All Star” teams generally excluded any school that Memphis would cover.  Need a “Jackson” in MT.