Rule Question

BT Mafia

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

What if Team A lines up for a long field goal.
The ball falls way short and comes to rest in the field of play, say at the 5.
Does Team B take over at the 5?
Or at the original line of scrimmage?
Or is it a live ball, like on a kickoff?

If in field of play it is a live ball that only the D can advance,If in endzone it goes to the 20.Basically like a punt.

Edited by orngnblk

1 hour ago, pigskinred said:

Means they did not get enough for a first down.

Thanks for the clarity. 

The side of the helmet thing. Where on the field of play did that happen? Was he at the punter trying to block the punt? Was he downfield and the ball hit his helmet?

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

If in field of play it is a live ball that only the D can advance,If in endzone it goes to the 20.Basically like a punt.

That's what I thought.    So if a team has a great kicker, a guy who can drop it out the back of the end zone on a kickoff, but a really bad punter.... In that case if you had to punt on 4th down it might be better to try a 80 yard field goal, the purpose of course just to advance the ball way further down the field than the punter could.

3 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

That's what I thought.    So if a team has a great kicker, a guy who can drop it out the back of the end zone on a kickoff, but a really bad punter.... In that case if you had to punt on 4th down it might be better to try a 80 yard field goal, the purpose of course just to advance the ball way further down the field than the punter could.

Interesting!

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

I have seen this!  Blackman did it in the early 2000’s.  

8 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I have seen this!  Blackman did it in the early 2000’s.  

No kidding!    Our kicker can knock the ball out of the end zone, but man our punting is just....  I don't want to trash talk kids on here, you know they are out there doing their best.    But let's just say we could average probably 40+ more yards on a punt if we did the field goal thing.....    But if our kicker is wanting to go to college that would completely trash his chances.   We probably punt 5 or more times per game, that looks like a lot of missed field goals to the college scouts.   But imagine doing it the first time, it is 4th down on your own 23 and here comes the..... FG team!   The fans are like  "WHAT THE ?!?!? "

2 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

No kidding!    Our kicker can knock the ball out of the end zone, but man our punting is just....  I don't want to trash talk kids on here, you know they are out there doing their best.    But let's just say we could average probably 40+ more yards on a punt if we did the field goal thing.....    But if our kicker is wanting to go to college that would completely trash his chances.   We probably punt 5 or more times per game, that looks like a lot of missed field goals to the college scouts.   But imagine doing it the first time, it is 4th down on your own 23 and here comes the..... FG team!   The fans are like  "WHAT THE ?!?!? "

I witnessed it.  Kid attempted like a 70 yard fg, but it did not make the end zone and we ran it back for a good gain.  

7 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Oakland used to do this often under Marty Euverard, especially 2002-2003

10 hours ago, blazer1set said:

What if Team A lines up for a long field goal.
The ball falls way short and comes to rest in the field of play, say at the 5.
Does Team B take over at the 5?
Or at the original line of scrimmage?
Or is it a live ball, like on a kickoff?

A field goal attempt is a punt that can score. It belongs to the defending/receiving team where the ball is downed (or returned). If the ball breaks the plane of the endzone, it is a touchback.

Edited by KWoodroof
misspelling