Hardin County at Springfield 4A quarterfinals

JacketLover

14 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

What I’ve watched of Springfield so far looks like they got several skill players on offense as well. Different look with that lefty QB to.

Yes Springfield’s got several skill players on offense. #’s 9, 20, 21, 15 and of course the QB #5 just to name the ones that’ll carry the load. They have rotated several guys in at different times for different looks. Most of them play both ways, rotating in and out on defense as well. The QB does a really good job in selling the fake on option plays. He’s thrown the ball decent the past few games and has been more patient in the pass game not making bad reads. He’s been getting better and better every week running the offense, this being his first year starting at QB. 

The scary part for opposing teams of Springfield but great for us Jacket fans is how young this team actually is. There are only 10 seniors total, and we are playing a lot of sophomores and freshmen. I would say that at least 10-12 kids that play a lot are freshmen and sophomores. This was supposed to be be somewhat of a rebuilding year with next year the big year. It’s turned out to be more of a reloading year, which is just another sign of the great job Coach Wilson has done in building the program since he took over. This is our fifth straight quarter final appearance and we’re gunning for our third straight semi final appearance but we have to beat Hardin County first. 

Edited by JacketLover
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Yes Springfield’s got several skill players on offense. #’s 9, 20, 21, 15 and of course the QB #5 just to name the ones that’ll carry the load. They have rotated several guys in at different times for different looks. Most of them play both ways, rotating in and out on defense as well. The QB does a really good job in selling the fake on option plays. He’s thrown the ball decent the past few games and has been more patient in the pass game not making bad reads. He’s been getting better and better every week running the offense, this being his first year starting at QB. 

I watched him some last night looks really poised as a first yr QB. Watched one game where he was hitting the slant route as good as you could ask for and some down field stuff as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Tigersandcats said:

I watched him some last night looks really poised as a first yr QB. Watched one game where he was hitting the slant route as good as you could ask for and some down field stuff as well.

One thing he does at times is hesitate on that slant trying not to make a bad throw. He had one open for a TD against Lexington Friday night but waited too long to throw it. He usually winds up tucking and running if he does that. His height is a drawback sometimes for him too on slow developing plays over the middle. He is a gamer though. 

36 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

The scary part for opposing teams of Springfield but great for us Jacket fans is how young this team actually is. There are only 10 seniors total, and we are playing a lot of sophomores and freshmen. I would say that at least 10-12 kids that play a lot are freshmen and sophomores. This was supposed to be be somewhat of a rebuilding year with next year the big year. It’s turned out to be more of a reloading year, which is just another sign of the great job Coach Wilson has done in building the program since he took over. This is our fifth straight quarter final appearance and we’re gunning for our third straight semi final appearance but we have to beat Hardin County first. 

Seems to be a trend now seeing freshman and sophomores playing . Do you think that’s just from maybe better player development at the middle school level or what?

10 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

Seems to be a trend now seeing freshman and sophomores playing . Do you think that’s just from maybe better player development at the middle school level or what?

I just think that these kids are a special group, and our lack of upperclassmen contributed to their playing time as well. Our middle schools, we have two that feed into our high school, don’t run what the high school does and have had coaching turnover the last couple of years, so the kids coming in are coming into a brand new system. I think our high school staff does a tremendous job teaching them and preparing the ones that have the ability to play early. 

• Like 1

I know stats on paper don’t mean much in these kind of games. But I still like to do it. In the last six games the Jackets are giving up 10 ppg scoring a shade over 27. HC is giving up 9 ppg scoring a shade over 28. That is about as close as you can get. But I do believe the Jackets May had a little tougher schedule than HC. Of course you can throw all that out the window when they kick off. 

25 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

I know stats on paper don’t mean much in these kind of games. But I still like to do it. In the last six games the Jackets are giving up 10 ppg scoring a shade over 27. HC is giving up 9 ppg scoring a shade over 28. That is about as close as you can get. But I do believe the Jackets May had a little tougher schedule than HC. Of course you can throw all that out the window when they kick off. 

This will be a fun game for sure, Springfield will be rocking Friday night, very nice facilities/field and a great atmosphere for high school football, I believe you HC fans will enjoy it, should be a great game...