Oak Ridge High School Football 2020

CardinalGrey

So Bad on Offense.  We have a good defense and playmakers on offense year in and year out.  This  offense has come up short against good teams,  time and time again for far too long now.

What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

So Bad on Offense.  We have a good defense and playmakers on offense year in and year out.  This  offense has come up short against good teams,  time and time again for far too long now.

What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?  

Has to be one of the worst offensive performances I’ve seen from an OR team and I’ve been going to games since 83-84ish. No doubt the West D has something to do with that. I don’t wanna say our kids aren’t trying because I know they are, but something just isn’t right out there on O. I don’t know if it’s coaching, being ill prepared (which is coaching), a weak strength and conditioning program, or the blocking scheme. All I know is that our OL looks extremely soft. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Has to be one of the worst offensive performances I’ve seen from an OR team and I’ve been going to games since 83-84ish. No doubt the West D has something to do with that. I don’t wanna say our kids aren’t trying because I know they are, but something just isn’t right out there on O. I don’t know if it’s coaching, being ill prepared (which is coaching), a weak strength and conditioning program, or the blocking scheme. All I know is that our OL looks extremely soft. 

I know its bad.Offense was just as bad vs DB.When is last time Oak Ridge offense didnt score twice in first 5 games?Find 3 to 5 plays that work most of time and run them all night.Heck do anything but what we are doing.

1 hour ago, Thund3rStruck said:

Whats so important about Oak Ridge that they get their own 38 page thread? They used to be the cream of the crop, what happened?

That’s just part of life, unless you’re Maryville and Alcoa, of course. A lot of other teams used to be the cream of the crop too, like Riverdale, Lincoln County, Gallatin, Jefferson Co, Fulton, and others. It’s really hard to maintain that type of continuous dominance, year in and year out, especially when you have an enclosed city like OR (who have to play with their own kids every year without kids from other areas coming there) not to mention a 6,000 dollar + tuition to go there, when to go to a school like Alcoa you have to pay $500. People don’t think about that stuff. Lot easier said than done. Also, there are way less kids in OR compared to the 80s and 90s, not to mention the attendance at the HS is way down (almost 300-400 kids less) than what it was in those days. There are lots of different factors. And we have had some really good teams still the past 5 years. Take away having to play Catholic a few years ago in the playoffs multiple times (they should’ve been private) and we have a great shot in 17, and 18 to win state. Those were really good teams @ OR, Catholic was just a tad better.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

That’s just part of life, unless you’re Maryville and Alcoa, of course. A lot of other teams used to be the cream of the crop too, like Riverdale, Lincoln County, Gallatin, Jefferson Co, Fulton, and others. It’s really hard to maintain that type of continuous dominance, year in and year out, especially when you have an enclosed city like OR (who have to play with their own kids every year without kids from other areas coming there) not to mention a 6,000 dollar + tuition to go there, when to go to a school like Alcoa you have to pay $500. People don’t think about that stuff. Lot easier said than done. Also, there are way less kids in OR compared to the 80s and 90s, not to mention the attendance at the HS is way down (almost 300 kids less) than what it was in those days. There are lots of different factors. And we have had some really good teams still the past 5 years. Take away having to play Catholic a few years ago in the playoffs multiple times (they should’ve been private) and we have a great shot in 17, and 18 to win state. Those were really good teams @ OR, Catholic was just a tad better.

Yeah, and to think not that long ago you had Tee Higgins torching teams and still probably had to matchup against a Catholic team that was surely not a 5a program. But you are right about that, these other teams have all the shiny things that attract kids to come play for the wrong reasons, they take them away from childhood friends, teammates. Playing for their hometown school. Risk it all to maybe get playing time just to get a gold ring. The old days are behind us but those were definitely the good days. More evenly matched teams, each week in the playoffs you had to bring your A game or a william blount might knock you out

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Thund3rStruck said:

Yeah, and to think not that long ago you had Tee Higgins torching teams and still probably had to matchup against a Catholic team that was surely not a 5a program. But you are right about that, these other teams have all the shiny things that attract kids to come play for the wrong reasons, they take them away from childhood friends, teammates. Playing for their hometown school. Risk it all to maybe get playing time just to get a gold ring. The old days are behind us but those were definitely the good days. More evenly matched teams, each week in the playoffs you had to bring your A game or a william blount might knock you out

Yes, you’re right. I miss the old 1A, 2A, 3A days too. And not just because we had better teams, but like you said, the field of play was just more level it seemed. Now, with the playoffs and 2-8 4-6 teams getting in, it has just completely been watered down. But, it is what it is. You play with the hand you’re dealt, and wish for the best.

Edited by SweetScience

48 minutes ago, madhatter2269 said:

ive always wondered the same thing. A 6-4 team every year/team that hasn’t won a state title in years has hundreds of pages every year. its just plain weird

2010 9-5 lost in the semifinals to Maryville 38-21

2011 9-4

2012 10-2 lost to Maryville 39-25

2013  7-4 mediocre year (Will give ya that one)

2014  12-1

2015  10-2

2016  8-3

2017 10-3

2018 10-3

2019 6-6 mediocre for sure. 
2020 mediocre so far, yes. 

So since 2010 5 double digit win seasons. Hardly “6-4” every year like you said. No, not normally what we used to be, but definitely not how you described it. Yes, haven’t won any gold balls since forever ago, but who in this area has besides Maryville, Central (first one ever a few years ago) and Farragut in 5A in 2018, as well with maybe Fulton? And sure, us Wildcat fans may not have the teams we used to have, but that surely doesn’t mean we love our team any less or that we’re any less passionate about them. A lot of us just enjoy getting on cutting the s%#^* with one another, nothing more, nothing less. Why in the world would any Central fan (presuming that’s what you are, I THINK) care about what’s going on on an Oak Ridge thread, especially with all of the success y’all have had lately?  Speaking of weird ha.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

2010 9-5 lost in the semifinals to Maryville 38-21

2011 9-4

2012 10-2 lost to Maryville 39-25

2013  7-4 mediocre year (Will give ya that one)

2014  12-1

2015  10-2

2016  8-3

2017 10-3

2018 10-3

2019 6-6 mediocre for sure. 
2020 mediocre so far, yes. 

So since 2010 5 double digit win seasons. Hardly “6-4” every year like you said. No, not normally what we used to be, but definitely not how you described it. Yes, haven’t won any gold balls since forever ago, but who in this area has besides Maryville, and Farragut in 5A in 2018, as well with maybe Fulton? And sure, us Wildcat fans may not have the teams we used to have, but that surely doesn’t mean we love our team any less. A lot of us just enjoy getting on cutting the s%#^* with one another, nothing more, nothing less.

I wish Oak Ridge was still a top 3 team in 5a/6a. In reality this makes NET football so much better. And Oak Ridge has alot to do with why other teams got better. Teams used to want to be like Oak Ridge. They were on top of their game for many of years. Even back in the early 2010s, Oak Ridge wasn't too far off from Marivul and thats saying something being in a classification below. Marivul never really ran away in those games 

• Like 1