Oak Ridge High School Football 2020

CardinalGrey

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I think we should drop to 1A. Would love to see an Oakdale, Sunbright, Wartburg type gauntlet of a schedule. 

If they cant win the gold ball in 4A after a long time the drop to 3A and if that dont work then 2A and if that dont work then 1A

But surely if they drop to 4A they can finally win one

2 hours ago, chrisburr said:

If they cant win the gold ball in 4A after a long time the drop to 3A and if that dont work then 2A and if that dont work then 1A

But surely if they drop to 4A they can finally win one

As much as I’d like to, it’s extremely hard to win a gold ball, unless you’re a few select schools that we all know about. We haven’t won one in 30 years almost, but that’s still one more than 90% of the rest of the schools in Tennessee, and some that have been playing long before Oak Ridge started playing football. I mean, it would be nice if gold balls grew on trees an all. Just to put things in perspective, DB as tradition rich as they are, have never been to a state finals game in the playoff era, which I think started in 1969, although someone correct me if I’m wrong? Just something to ponder on. I wish it could be as easy as Maryville and Alcoa make it look every year.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

As much as I’d like to, it’s extremely hard to win a gold ball, unless you’re a few select schools that we all know about. We haven’t won one in 30 years almost, but that’s still one more than 90% of the rest of the schools in Tennessee, and some that have been playing long before Oak Ridge started playing football. I mean, it would be nice if gold balls grew on trees an all. Just to put things in perspective, DB as tradition rich as they are, have never been to a state finals game in the playoff era, which I think started in 1969, although someone correct me if I’m wrong? Just something to ponder on. I wish it could be as easy as Maryville and Alcoa make it look every year.

that is so true, remember when Greeneville was in 5A for ages and couldnt get to the finals?

The they dropped down to 4A and now have like 5 Gold Balls

You guys can do it you guys can become that, it would not only elevate 4A but you guys as well

I know the girls teams win state titles

But sometimes dropping down a class helps

It helped Greeneville and Elizabethton, it can help you too! 

10 minutes ago, chrisburr said:

that is so true, remember when Greeneville was in 5A for ages and couldnt get to the finals?

The they dropped down to 4A and now have like 5 Gold Balls

You guys can do it you guys can become that, it would not only elevate 4A but you guys as well

I know the girls teams win state titles

But sometimes dropping down a class helps

It helped Greeneville and Elizabethton, it can help you too! 

It isn’t possible to move down, Chris. Not that I’m aware of, at least. If Greeneville went to 4A, it was likely because that’s where their attendance numbers put them. Either way, that’s the sissy way out. Personally speaking, I’d rather never win another state title as opposed to moving down and playing teams we aren’t even supposed to be playing, even though it isn’t doable in the first place that I’m aware of.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

It isn’t possible to move down, Chris. Not that I’m aware of, at least. If Greeneville went to 4A, it was likely because that’s where their attendance numbers put them. Either way, that’s the sissy way out. Personally speaking, I’d rather never win another state title as opposed to moving down and playing teams we aren’t even supposed to be playing, even though it isn’t doable in the first place that I’m aware of.

I agree, I don't think it's an option to move down, only up. Alcoa has 6A type talent, both in quality and quantity. From what I see of the last couple of OR freshmen teams, we better be glad OR stayed 5A because OR looks more like 3A or 4A talent for the next few years. It will get worse before it gets better IMO

32 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I agree, I don't think it's an option to move down, only up. Alcoa has 6A type talent, both in quality and quantity. From what I see of the last couple of OR freshmen teams, we better be glad OR stayed 5A because OR looks more like 3A or 4A talent for the next few years. It will get worse before it gets better IMO

You probably know more than I as far as talent goes in the lower classes because I haven’t been to hardly any games the past few years, so I’m not sure of what we have in that regard. It’s hard to put a finger on that type of stuff though because so many things can change in a few years. Some kids’ bodies and talents can change dramatically in a few years time.

Just a few examples that I’ve seen. This years SR class went undefeated as freshman, but they obviously haven’t progressed the way I thought they would’ve, although there’s still quite a bit of talent out there. Another example is a guy I went to school with, Jason McAddley. As you know, he ended up being an OR legend and made a career as an NFL player. Well, his sophomore year I was as fast as he was. He changed dramatically in less than two years time into an elite athlete at OR. Of course that’s an extreme example that doesn’t happen much at all. But, you just never know with how bodies and talents change when you combine both growth and them getting on a good weight training program.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

Sweet,   I agree with a lot of what you say, however...

...a few examples that I’ve seen. This years SR class went undefeated as freshman, but they obviously haven’t progressed the way I thought they would... 

The the way that freshman team was coached/etc... most if not all players being rotated on and off of the field made a big difference at that level.   Many of those players are just now getting some playing time after a two year hiatus and little to no varsity play. 

How do you rectify things like this... That my friend is a very good question.   

RWR!

41 minutes ago, CardinalGrey said:

Sweet,   I agree with a lot of what you say, however...

...a few examples that I’ve seen. This years SR class went undefeated as freshman, but they obviously haven’t progressed the way I thought they would... 

The the way that freshman team was coached/etc... most if not all players being rotated on and off of the field made a big difference at that level.   Many of those players are just now getting some playing time after a two year hiatus and little to no varsity play. 

How do you rectify things like this... That my friend is a very good question.   

RWR!

That’s a good point, yes. Most of those kids off of that freshman team didn’t play as Sophomores, which is normal, so they weren’t getting any varsity reps. And now they’re getting caught back up to speed, albeit a few years later after not having much at all valuable playing time at the varsity level. I think that’s what you’re implying in your message, at least.

• Thanks 1