Never too early....Who wins Class A 2020-21

gogold

My updated Top 10

1. McKenzie - won't be challenged again until the region semifinal - will that hurt them?

2. Gibson County - so much young talent

3. Summertown - big win over Loretto on Tuesday; physical team

4. Clarkrange - still the favorite in my mind; schedule has been tough

5. Peabody - big matchup with Gibson next week - chance to show they are a real threat

6. Loretto - back to back losses to Brentwood and Summertown (2 really good teams)

7. North Greene - play a good Northview Academy team early next week

8. Houston County - rematch with Jo Byrns on Friday then Stewart County next week

9. Gleason - playing well; will be dangerous matchup for Peabody or Gibson in region

10. Van Buren County - schedule is bad; won't be challenged again until the rematch with Whitwell

Teams to watch (no particular order) - Cloudland, Whitwell, Union City, Tellico Plains, Jo Byrns, Clay County, Pickett County, Collinwood, Huntland, Greenfield

26 minutes ago, maddams said:

My updated Top 10

1. McKenzie - won't be challenged again until the region semifinal - will that hurt them?

2. Gibson County - so much young talent

3. Summertown - big win over Loretto on Tuesday; physical team

4. Clarkrange - still the favorite in my mind; schedule has been tough

5. Peabody - big matchup with Gibson next week - chance to show they are a real threat

6. Loretto - back to back losses to Brentwood and Summertown (2 really good teams)

7. North Greene - play a good Northview Academy team early next week

8. Houston County - rematch with Jo Byrns on Friday then Stewart County next week

9. Gleason - playing well; will be dangerous matchup for Peabody or Gibson in region

10. Van Buren County - schedule is bad; won't be challenged again until the rematch with Whitwell

Teams to watch (no particular order) - Cloudland, Whitwell, Union City, Tellico Plains, Jo Byrns, Clay County, Pickett County, Collinwood, Huntland, Greenfield

McKenzie will be playing at home in the Region if it beats Huntingdon or it will be in Huntingdon. Big factor there. Looks like it will be Loretto vs McKenzie and Summertown Huntingdon. I watched Gleason and the Anderson kid pretty much beat Union City by herself. Can she do that to get to state?? Not so sure but she is playing at a high level. Greenfield and Union City will be tough as well.  Loretto and Summertown will have to beat GC, McKenzie, Pickett County and Clarkrange handling full court pressure for 4 quarters. Can they do that if the above make it??  Gibson County is young like you said and that could be a question mark but talent wise they have it. I still like Summertown and Clarkrange as my top two right now with a slight edge to Summertown as my number 1. 

18 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Left out Richland / with Jesse Jennings / better have good D or she’ll lite you up ( know you can’t name them all ) 

Jennings is a player.  Chad Hall is a good coach.  Richland could certainly make it to a substate game.  Their district is terrible.  Region has Houston Co and Jo Byrns - both have great records with no great wins.  

I don't think they have enough to beat McKenzie, Loretto or Summertown in a substate game

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

McKenzie will be playing at home in the Region if it beats Huntingdon or it will be in Huntingdon. Big factor there. Looks like it will be Loretto vs McKenzie and Summertown Huntingdon. I watched Gleason and the Anderson kid pretty much beat Union City by herself. Can she do that to get to state?? Not so sure but she is playing at a high level. Greenfield and Union City will be tough as well.  Loretto and Summertown will have to beat GC, McKenzie, Pickett County and Clarkrange handling full court pressure for 4 quarters. Can they do that if the above make it??  Gibson County is young like you said and that could be a question mark but talent wise they have it. I still like Summertown and Clarkrange as my top two right now with a slight edge to Summertown as my number 1. 

I agree with this. Matchups will be key for Gleason and UC too in the region, as both teams need to stay away from GC. The advantage for McKenzie is our press, if teams get us in a half court game we arent as strong. Alyana Anderson has to be the most improved player in West Tennessee. Gleason is my pick to win 13a if she continues her strong play.

5 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

I agree with this. Matchups will be key for Gleason and UC too in the region, as both teams need to stay away from GC. The advantage for McKenzie is our press, if teams get us in a half court game we arent as strong. Alyana Anderson has to be the most improved player in West Tennessee. Gleason is my pick to win 13a if she continues her strong play.

Everyone knows Savannah Davis is the go to scorer but we have others that can score.  And when I say others, I don't mean one or two.  I mean 4 or 5.  And if Lilly Bennett decides she wants to score or needs to score, she does and can.  I bet she has 10 assist a game. 

7 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

I agree Alayna Anderson is by far the most improved player around here. But does she have enough help. Not so sure. A good defensive coach will face guard her big time and have another player leaning her way getting double teamed. Gleason is very fundamental and does a lot of the little things right and are well coached in a lot of areas. Greenfield and Union City will get hot and start clicking at some point. Loretto or Summertown will have to have their A game to beat McKenzie. This is not the same McKenzie team they played the last two years. They have went through a Wilkins boot camp and it is very obvious. Will be interesting moving forward. My top five right now is Summertown, Clarkrange, McKenzie, Gibson County and Loretto. 

Edited by pioneer42

Whitwell beats Picket county. Good win. Lost a game they were winning against Clay. Have a rematch against Van Buren. Whitwell may have the best chance they have ever had to make the State Tournament. Clarkrange is #1 in that Region. But 2nd place is up for grabs between Clay, Whitwell, Picket, Van Buren in that order. 

On 1/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, VOLnWTN said:

Everyone knows Savannah Davis is the go to scorer but we have others that can score.  And when I say others, I don't mean one or two.  I mean 4 or 5.  And if Lilly Bennett decides she wants to score or needs to score, she does and can.  I bet she has 10 assist a game. 

I agree. Lilly is the senior leader that we have needed.