Never too early....Who wins Class A 2020-21

gogold

2 hours ago, maddams said:

My updated Top 10

1. McKenzie - should cruise to region semifinals 

2. Gibson Co - handled Peabody, I don't see them being challenged before state tourney

3. Clarkrange - impressive win over Stone Memorial

4. Summertown - rematch at Loretto tomorrow night

5. Loretto - no bad losses but no impressive wins, chance to get one tomorrow against Summertown

6. Peabody - pretty big gap between the top 5 and everybody else; fast/quick enough to cause problems

7. Van Buren Co - great record/soft schedule

8. North Greene - haven't played recently; not sure if they're quarantined

9. Whitwell - swept by Clay Co but beat Pickett Co; upcoming rematch with Van Buren

10. Houston Co - lost rematch to Jo Byrns but beat a decent Stewart Co team

Teams to watch: Clay Co, Cloudland, Cosby, Jo Byrns, Gleason, Greenfield, Huntland, Oneida, Pickett Co, Richland, Tellico Plains, Union City

NOTE: The top 5 is pretty clear, though you could certainly debate the order of ranking.  After those five, Single A is a mess with a lot of average and above average teams.  I'll be shocked if anybody outside the top 5 wins the state tournament this year.

1) Summertown

2) Clarkrange

3) Mckenzie

4) Gibson Co

5) Loretto

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Do think Union City and Greenfield will be tough as year progresses. Greenfield beat Union City and Gleason last two weeks. Do think McKenzie and  Gibson County on paper are as talented as anyone in the state, BUT I have to give an edge to senior experience and that is why I like Summertown and Clarkrange, BUT that doesn’t mean the Loretto’s, Gibson County’s and McKenzie’s   can’t win it all in a heartbeat. Pickett County is also a team with a lot of experience that lost 1 player last year. I look for them to be there as well.

Few things from this:

1. I think you're underselling Gibson.  The talent is legit.  Coach Wilkins is a top 3 coach in Single A - with an argument for best coach in Single A.  Several kids were on the team that won state two years ago and had a shot last year.  I know PG is young but I don't see that limiting them.

2. Greenfield appears to be playing better recently.  They've won several in a row since McKenzie drilled them.  You see more West TN than I do.  Who's the second best team over there? Gibson is clearly the best.  Who's next?  Greenfield?  Peabody?  Gleason?  Union City?  

3. How long do we wait on Union City to put it together? They're 9-10.  Tournament play starts in less than 2 weeks.  If they're gonna figure it out, they better do it quickly.

4. I don't know what to think about Pickett Co.  I had them top 5 coming into the year, but their best win all season is a home win over Clay Co (they split the season series).  Red Boiling Springs scared them last week.  They may very well make the state tournament but they don't appear to be as strong as I thought.

3 minutes ago, maddams said:

Few things from this:

1. I think you're underselling Gibson.  The talent is legit.  Coach Wilkins is a top 3 coach in Single A - with an argument for best coach in Single A.  Several kids were on the team that won state two years ago and had a shot last year.  I know PG is young but I don't see that limiting them.

2. Greenfield appears to be playing better recently.  They've won several in a row since McKenzie drilled them.  You see more West TN than I do.  Who's the second best team over there? Gibson is clearly the best.  Who's next?  Greenfield?  Peabody?  Gleason?  Union City?  

3. How long do we wait on Union City to put it together? They're 9-10.  Tournament play starts in less than 2 weeks.  If they're gonna figure it out, they better do it quickly.

4. I don't know what to think about Pickett Co.  I had them top 5 coming into the year, but their best win all season is a home win over Clay Co (they split the season series).  Red Boiling Springs scared them last week.  They may very well make the state tournament but they don't appear to be as strong as I thought.

Greenfield and Union City are the two best teams opposite Gibson County, IMO and both teams will play very hard against Gibson County. I told Wilkins the other day this is his best coaching job, IMO because he has developed the young girls into top notch basketball players. The guy keeps getting better. He will take his 5 and press and beat a lot of teams 10. He has three girls on his team that are Miss Basketball material in the two Hart’s and Cantrelle. Gibson County talent wise may be more talented not defensively with their starting five this year than they were the last two years especially with their PG and their last two were very very talented. She is a Cracker Jack PG that is only a freshman. Hard to believe that. When you handle the ball as well as she does and Gibson County turns you over as much as they do is a very good recipe to win and win big. I think Gibson County  is going to be very hard to beat, but we have to remember they are young and young players can win titles too, but Clarkrange and Summertown has a ton of experience and are loaded as well. I wouldn’t call it underselling Gibson County just that the other two have more experience. Clarkrange is a really good team. Do think Lamar Rogers would have gave Greenfield all they wanted last year and they didn’t lose no one  or very little. Single A and Double A are flat out loaded and the draw will play a key role as it does every year. Always does. This is how I have it now. Summertown, Clarkrange, McKenzie, Gibson County and Loretto in that order. And yes rankings don’t mean nothing. And yes I think any of the five can win it all. The first four I believe you have a 2-4 point spread on a neutral site they are that close, IMO. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, maddams said:

My updated Top 10

1. McKenzie - should cruise to region semifinals 

2. Gibson Co - handled Peabody, I don't see them being challenged before state tourney

3. Clarkrange - impressive win over Stone Memorial

4. Summertown - rematch at Loretto tomorrow night

5. Loretto - no bad losses but no impressive wins, chance to get one tomorrow against Summertown

6. Peabody - pretty big gap between the top 5 and everybody else; fast/quick enough to cause problems

7. Van Buren Co - great record/soft schedule

8. North Greene - haven't played recently; not sure if they're quarantined

9. Whitwell - swept by Clay Co but beat Pickett Co; upcoming rematch with Van Buren

10. Houston Co - lost rematch to Jo Byrns but beat a decent Stewart Co team

Teams to watch: Clay Co, Cloudland, Cosby, Jo Byrns, Gleason, Greenfield, Huntland, Oneida, Pickett Co, Richland, Tellico Plains, Union City

NOTE: The top 5 is pretty clear, though you could certainly debate the order of ranking.  After those five, Single A is a mess with a lot of average and above average teams.  I'll be shocked if anybody outside the top 5 wins the state tournament this year.

That game was no cakewalk for Mckenzie. The difference was the 3 3s from 23

14 hours ago, Waker said:

That game was no cakewalk for Mckenzie. The difference was the 3 3s from 23

Yes it was a very competitive game between the fillies and rebels.  The two times I have seen Mckenzie play the freshman and sophomores have been the difference in the game.  They should have round 3 in district championship.

11 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

That is the Huntingdon team I have been waiting to see. I know they have some talent.

I really liked the Anderson girl for Huntingdon she has moves and a pretty good shot. Singleton struggled with foul trouble and really wasnt a factor. Brooke Butler had a much better game than the first meeting and Brooklyn Williams made some great plays on the defensive side. You can tell that the Fillies are getting better and better each game. 

2 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

I really liked the Anderson girl for Huntingdon she has moves and a pretty good shot. Singleton struggled with foul trouble and really wasnt a factor. Brooke Butler had a much better game than the first meeting and Brooklyn Williams made some great plays on the defensive side. You can tell that the Fillies are getting better and better each game. 

I predict McKenzie and Summertown to win their District Tournaments. Going to be really hard for Loretto to beat you guys in the Region, IMO. I watched Loretto and Summertown last night.

2 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I predict McKenzie and Summertown to win their District Tournaments. Going to be really hard for Loretto to beat you guys in the Region, IMO. I watched Loretto and Summertown last night.

I didnt watch it the Loretto game last night... but I watched their first matchup. Summertown is so balanced on both sides of the ball, we would to stay away from them lol. I like our chances with Loretto but I think that we would have a tough time matching up with Kenzie Weathers in the post. I think our guards are quick and athletic enough to contain Karly. 

For the sports gamblers out there.  At this point I think there’s no doubt that pretty much everyone would pick either Clarkrange/Summertown/ Gibson Co to win it all.  McKenzie definitely has the best chance of the rest.  I know MCkenzie beat GC earlier in the year but young guards for GC played the worst game they have all year and still only lost by 4-5 I think.  They won’t turn it over 28-30 times again.