TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

Just now, 17NCS said:

Volleyball players attack the net at the same time and get very close to each other.  This happens all the time in Volleyball.  Sweat and spit will be transmitted when this happens.  Perhaps you have a daughter who plays this sport so you are going to give them a pass.  All kids in all sports should be allowed to compete if they sign a release waiver.  

In my opinion its either all or nothing in terms of participation. If its bad enough that one sport can't play then all should be off the table for that time period.

But there are states right now putting out different protocols for starting up that have football in a different tier than other sports. In Washington for example the state has to be in phase 4 of reopening for high school football to return but all other sports can return in phase 3.

1 hour ago, TeeterTot2 said:

You are either trolling or just plain naive at this point.  To compare contact sports like football and soccer (where blood, sweat, and spit can be passed on contact) to volleyball where girls never touch an opponent and very rarely touch their teammates is ridiculous to say the least.   I'm not promoting a volleyball season but I am promoting all sports be looked at separately and decisions be made on a sport by sport basis. 

Next you'll be comparing wrestling to golf.

I'm naïve??!! Seriously? You don't think volleyball players could pass it on to other volleyball players? If it's so serious as some people think, they are using the same ball, they spit, sweat, get near each other at the net...not to mention, volleyball players from the same team could pass it on to their teammates during practice. Golf makes sense to be exempt with the separation and lack of numbers, but I could even argue that cross country should not be exempt. They start together closely...and many run together closely, spit, sweat, etc. Now, of course, I think the delaying or canceling anything is laughable because we don't do it for the flu at all, and kids are the least vulnerable and show little to no symptoms. If it was up to me, play ball! All sports!! If you're sick, stay home. If you test positive, quarantine for a few weeks. Everybody else, go on with life and sports like normal, sanitizing and staying clean, and keeping your hands washed. Of course, since common sense is now out the window, we have to discuss this mass chaos and silliness.

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure who cares about volleyball, but I think they could easily wear masks. I’m surprised the football community hasn’t provided all players with some heat gear type mask for players. I see the pros wearing something very similar late in the season when there’s snow on the ground. 

39 minutes ago, strongx said:

I’m not sure who cares about volleyball, but I think they could easily wear masks. I’m surprised the football community hasn’t provided all players with some heat gear type mask for players. I see the pros wearing something very similar late in the season when there’s snow on the ground. 

If that ever happened (and it won’t because of funding), then we’d then have a running tally of how many kids passed out and how many were hospitalized each day. That’s one of the silliest ideas if I’ve ever heard. 

4 hours ago, TeeterTot2 said:

You are either trolling or just plain naive at this point.  To compare contact sports like football and soccer (where blood, sweat, and spit can be passed on contact) to volleyball where girls never touch an opponent and very rarely touch their teammates is ridiculous to say the least.   I'm not promoting a volleyball season but I am promoting all sports be looked at separately and decisions be made on a sport by sport basis. 

Next you'll be comparing wrestling to golf.

I am football 100% of the time and I fell Football should be treated differently than other sports in all aspects including funding etc.   However I agree with you.  I am not going to be petty and take a season from another sport just because football can't play. I would argue that volleyball is more likely to catch the virus simply from being inside a gym.  Seems like TSSAA has forgotten that concern

24 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

If that ever happened (and it won’t because of funding), then we’d then have a running tally of how many kids passed out and how many were hospitalized each day. That’s one of the silliest ideas if I’ve ever heard. 

Agreed on that. No possible way you could put face coverings on football players. That will NEVER be an option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Don’t the pros where them when it’s like 10 degrees? I can’t imagine two layers of heat gear would make anyone pass out.

45 minutes ago, Sidelinehustler said:

Agreed on that. No possible way you could put face coverings on football players. That will NEVER be an option. 

I don’t see many options if we are going to see football or other sports for that matter. Right now, we are getting farther away from playing.

• CoachT locked this topic