TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

2 minutes ago, HSfootballan said:

You apparently do not understand the point.

The point is no matter the odds -- wearing a mask is well worth the effort, in my humble opinion,

I wear a mask in public out of respect for others. Whether it helps or not. Small price to pay to make people feel safe.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

The negative Nancy of some (not necessarily yourself) had a lot to do with that post.  More positivity less doom and gloom.  

No being negative, just stating the other side of the coin. Everyone hoping for sports ,as I do also, that the possibility of no sports is there. The point was proven with the August 29 date being imposed. Another fact, if numbers don't decline school won't have students in building and sports could be in jeopardy.  What is the governor decides to push the date to September 29? What then. Not being negative, just flipping the coin.

13 minutes ago, HSfootballan said:

You apparently do not understand the point.

The point is no matter the odds -- wearing a mask is well worth the effort, in my humble opinion,

I hear ya...your opinion like some doctors. However, there is others that have different opinions.

Here's the thing that worries me about this whole way of thinking (mandates on public behavior). What's the objective? CV-19 is here to stay, and if you think otherwise, just don't bother to read the rest of this post. Shutting down businesses in the beginning was reasonable, as we knew little about the limits of possible mortality rates, and were overloading health care capacities... we now seem to have the capability to test for  CV-19 and treat those who require it. Everyone with a voice has an opinion on the short term, ranging from going back to "normal", to the extremes of a mandatory lockdown... what I'd like to hear is an ultimate objective for their plans, and a progression to get there. Five years from now, there should be a vaccine for COVID, but it will still be among us, and the elderly and infirmed will still be at risk to die from it... will we still be wearing masks and social distancing??? I sometimes opt for a mask out of respect for those that I'll be in close contact with, but if my situation doesn't require it, I don't wear it. Personally, I'd rather risk exposure than incumber my usual activities with intrusive, cumbersome, and unaccommodating preventative measures and restrictions. At some point in the future, we're going to have to decide to go back to living and let those at heightened risk levels adjust to their own satisfaction.

• Like 1

Talked to a source in the know today. Governor Lee is planning to talk to the TSSAA next week about its plan to push things back. It seems they don't have to do it whatsoever. This "no contact" rule is not needed and the state of emergency has zero to do with it. Colleges are planning to go through practice as scheduled with contact. Schools are going to start on time too...yes, some with a hybrid schedule and some offering both virtual and in class learning. Now, what the TSSAA does after hearing this info...who knows? Just passing on what I found out today.

4 hours ago, fb247 said:

No being negative, just stating the other side of the coin. Everyone hoping for sports ,as I do also, that the possibility of no sports is there. The point was proven with the August 29 date being imposed. Another fact, if numbers don't decline school won't have students in building and sports could be in jeopardy.  What is the governor decides to push the date to September 29? What then. Not being negative, just flipping the coin.

We all already knew the other side of the coin though.  If colleges and pros can play then what is the difference??  Makes no sense!  

• Like 1

NFL and the power 5 schools have the money to test daily if needed.  They have the resources to isolate players who test positive.  They have the resources to control a lot of things in their organizations, high schools don’t have those resources.  I sincerely hope we play starting in September but it doesn’t matter what any of us think. Fair or unfair politicians and the media will decide this.  

16 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

We all already knew the other side of the coin though.  If colleges and pros can play then what is the difference??  Makes no sense!  

Big difference between high school and college and pro. Seriously, do a little research. Plus a few colleges have already cancelled football. Pro football has even considered 75 players in camp instead of normal 90. Pro is another whole level . MTSU, Austin Peay, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee is a big difference from  Gallatin High School. 

1 minute ago, fb247 said:

Big difference between high school and college and pro. Seriously, do a little research. Plus a few colleges have already cancelled football. Pro football has even considered 75 players in camp instead of normal 90. Pro is another whole level . MTSU, Austin Peay, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee is a big difference from  Gallatin High School. 

No it’s not different at all. We are all human beings and can pass the virus. High school kids are the least likely to have symptoms or show any effects whatsoever. They are not at high risk at all. Why penalize them? You don’t need some big testing apparatus for the kids. If they have symptoms and are sick, then each individual can get tested. Very simple. If someone tests positive, ok...nobody panic and quarantine that person until he is better. Everyone else continue living life, playing football, being smart, etc. This is not that complicated. Do what we’ve always done when the flu is going around.

13 minutes ago, fb247 said:

Oh whatever dude.  The only difference is age and the high school age is less susceptible to the virus.  You go do research and get oughta here with that.  Football is football.  Sign a waiver and be done with it.  Nobody is making anybody play!   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

No it’s not different at all. We are all human beings and can pass the virus. High school kids are the least likely to have symptoms or show any effects whatsoever. They are not at high risk at all. Why penalize them? You don’t need some big testing apparatus for the kids. If they have symptoms and are sick, then each individual can get tested. Very simple. If someone tests positive, ok...nobody panic and quarantine that person until he is better. Everyone else continue living life, playing football, being smart, etc. This is not that complicated. Do what we’ve always done when the flu is going around.

6 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Oh whatever dude.  The only difference is age and the high school age is less susceptible to the virus.  You go do research and get oughta here with that.  Football is football.  Sign a waiver and be done with it.  Nobody is making anybody play!   

But we are not playing football until september now. There must be some difference. It is not just like the flu either. And I am not a dude. Been in medical field for 40 plus years. I am not basing beliefs on politics either. Pro fans may have to sign a waiver to attend games . 

10 minutes ago, fb247 said:

But we are not playing football until september now. There must be some difference. It is not just like the flu either. And I am not a dude. Been in medical field for 40 plus years. I am not basing beliefs on politics either. Pro fans may have to sign a waiver to attend games . 

Have high school and college fans do the same! Issue solved. I’ll sign it and happily go. 

• Upvote 1

• CoachT locked this topic