COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

9 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Hey THS, that is some good info, I actually read a lot about the cell being contained in droplets.    However, if that is true and with everyone wearing masks now, the cases of infection should be dropping off not going UP.  Things are very out of whack here, which leads me to believe that something else must be going on.

Are you guys doing open seating for the DB game?

It will most likely take several weeks to see a positive effect.  A lot of the counties in this area didn't implement a mandate until around mid-July.  Johnson County being the last one.  A report recently compiled by Dr. John Graves and a few others at Vanderbilt has shown that hospitals in this state that have mostly received visitors from counties with a mask mandate have had their hospitalization rate either decrease or stay steady whereas hospitals that received mostly visitors from counties with no mandate have seen their rate increase.   So I'm hoping that will ring true for this part of the state in the coming weeks because hospitals are getting hit hard up here.

As far as the DB game or any THS game is concerned, I haven't heard anything.  Tennessee is already down to 8 games this year because Abingdon and Virginia aren't going to play until the spring.  I'll probably watching whoever I find at home if all the schools limit ticket sales.

53 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but the "Spanish" flu supposedly originated in Kansas (transmitted from a hog to a human. I don't recall his name but it's documented). Coinciding with the U.S.'s entry into WWI was just bad luck, but American troops infected entire armies, who in turn spread the bug to every continent on the globe except Antarctica. Spain is credited for identifying the strain, primarily because the U.S. denied the difference between the new and old strains. Numbers vary wildly, but some of the higher credible estimates say that 20% of Earth's population perished directly from, or the compounded effects of the Spanish strain with preexisting health issues. Like with the Corona Virus, the elderly and infirmed suffered high mortality rates, but Unlike CV-19, the Spanish flu was especially dangerous to juveniles. Been a few years since I read most of it, but it's interesting to see what was written in the years following the outbreak... also many photographs that are eerily similar to today. One that I recall is the entire crowd in Yankee Stadium packed together wearing facemasks.

Edit... 

The Spanish flu strain is still with us... now known as H1N1.

My question was did our government back then lie or what did we do different in the US in 1918 compared to the rest of the world to be so successful .If the numbers are correct that I seen,we accounted anywhere from around .5 percent up to around 3 percent of the Spanish flu deaths..If the numbers with  todays covid19 were  correct " and we all know they are probably not with China ", then the US would account for over 20 percent of covid19 deaths.

9 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

What about the resent study done at Duke University where they found that wearing a Bandanna style mask actually is worse than no mask at all. They found that it causes the larger Covid droplets to be broken down into smaller droplets. 

Not surprised.  I would be hesitant to substitute a bandana or gaiter for an actual mask because they're not really made for that purpose.  Although the author of the report did say he only used one fleece gaiter rather than different ones from different manufacturers under different conditions. So it wasn't really a comprehensive study. 

I have an N95 and access to surgical masks.  I also have few different types that I wear when I'm out and about in an area that requires masks.  I'm not sure where they would rank in the study, but they are multi-layered.

7 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Did the President of Ohio State vote to cancel??? Iowa and Nebraska were the two that voted to play right?? On the VolQuest board a while ago someone said the Ohio State President wanted to delay not cancel. She is probably catching it right now.

The detailed results of Tuesday's vote were not publicly released so I'm not aware of how each school voted. I saw that 12-2 vote, but that was a couple of days before Tuesday's official vote. The university presidents make the ultimate decision, so they were the ones voting.

The OSU president voted to cancel, from what I've been told. Gene Smith, the AD, wanted to delay not cancel, but he supports the president's decision. It's also well known that the new Big Ten commissioner wanted to cancel.

Football is woven into the fabric of these schools, both culturally and financially, and I don't believe that these decisions were made on a whim. That said, if all P5 conferences don't cancel, this could destroy the Big Ten and Pac-12, from a competitive balance standpoint.

Edited by osunut2

9 hours ago, THSVikings2004 said:

It will most likely take several weeks to see a positive effect.  A lot of the counties in this area didn't implement a mandate until around mid-July.  Johnson County being the last one.  A report recently compiled by Dr. John Graves and a few others at Vanderbilt has shown that hospitals in this state that have mostly received visitors from counties with a mask mandate have had their hospitalization rate either decrease or stay steady whereas hospitals that received mostly visitors from counties with no mandate have seen their rate increase.  

If masks are effective the positive effect should be in two weeks. The Dr. Graves study used historical data on patient admissions in Nashville hospitals not the actual current addresses of hospital admissions. Between 65-75% of TN's population has been under a mask ordinance. They stated more than once in the report that they can 't state masking is the source of the decline. Should be easy to add up the case counts since July 1 from counties with mandates and without mandates and look for statistical differences. I would wager that has been done and the results were not what was desired. 

When a free moving population anywhere in the world is exposed to the virus the infection rate spikes and then declines regardless of masks. Lockdowns will absolutely slow the spread but you get your turn as soon as it ends. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Researchers say they used historical patient flow data – which indicates the ZIP codes from where hospitals typically receive their patients –and daily hospitalization data to group hospitals by the percentage of patients they typically see from areas that have mask mandates.

However, Vanderbilt also said it’s hard to say if mask mandates were the only reason for this trend because other mitigation measures – like restrictions on large gatherings and some businesses – are often in place, as well in these areas.

“Again, we can’t say for sure that masking is the reason this is happening because there are often other interventions in places like Nashville and Memphis where bars and restaurants are limited, but we do see a clear relationship between areas where masks are required and hospitalizations for the coronavirus,” said John Graves, PhD, associate professor of Health Policy and director of the Center for Health Economic Modeling at Vanderbilt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

The detailed results of Tuesday's vote were not publicly released so I'm not aware of how each school voted. I saw that 12-2 vote, but that was a couple of days before Tuesday's official vote. The university presidents make the ultimate decision, so they were the ones voting.

The OSU president voted to cancel, from what I've been told. Gene Smith, the AD, wanted to delay not cancel, but he supports the president's decision. It's also well known that the new Big Ten commissioner wanted to cancel.

Football is woven into the fabric of these schools, both culturally and financially, and I don't believe that these decisions were made on a whim. That said, if all P5 conferences don't cancel, this could destroy the Big Ten and Pac-12, from a competitive balance standpoint.

I agree it was a risky move by the Big 10. Looks like decisions are being made this week because Fall Camp starts next week. I still don’t think it is over for Ohio State. Would be surprised if they don’t try to make some kind of a move and show their power.

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

I agree it was a risky move by the Big 10. Looks like decisions are being made this week because Fall Camp starts next week. I still don’t think it is over for Ohio State. Would be surprised if they don’t try to make some kind of a move and show their power.

Gene Smith continues to say that they won't pursue an alternative, and he might be the most powerful AD in all of college football. We've already seen the Big Ten publicly shame Nebraska for trying to go rogue. It would be interesting to see how they would handle OSU, if they tried to do the same.

18 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Gene Smith continues to say that they won't pursue an alternative, and he might be the most powerful AD in all of college football. We've already seen the Big Ten publicly shame Nebraska for trying to go rogue. It would be interesting to see how they would handle OSU, if they tried to do the same.

I agree. Ohio State goes rogue and all matters of you know what would hit the fan! It may not be financially feasible, but I could see Nebraska and Iowa bolting to the Big 12. Seems like a natural fit geographically and, of course, Nebraska spent decades there already. This may not be over just yet. 

I'll say this about mask and wearing them. I've been in several places that either ask, request ,required  or had a picture of them with small and or large print .The only place that I've never seen someone that wasn't wearing a mask, was at the doctor's office. So you can pretty much say any study in this part of the state is anything you want to call it except 100 percent factual .

21 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

I agree. Ohio State goes rogue and all matters of you know what would hit the fan! It may not be financially feasible, but I could see Nebraska and Iowa bolting to the Big 12. Seems like a natural fit geographically and, of course, Nebraska spent decades there already. This may not be over just yet. 

Agreed, 22. It would likely come down to money (in the short term), which oddly enough was a big reason why Nebraska came to the Big Ten in the first place. I would be shocked if Iowa left over this, however. Geographically, they would fit in with the Big 12, but they would be giving up a lot of conference money (not necessarily in 2020, but in the long run), and while they aren't an original member of the Big Ten, they've been a member for almost 70 years.

I still have a few campus connections in Columbus, and based on what I've been told, there is a strong belief that the Big Ten (and Pac-12) presidents made this decision in part because, in the end, they felt that the rest of the P5 isn't going to play. But why pull the trigger now, instead of delaying the start (like the SEC and ACC) and making a decision after Labor Day? Seems pretty odd to me.

5 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed, 22. It would likely come down to money (in the short term), which oddly enough was a big reason why Nebraska came to the Big Ten in the first place. I would be shocked if Iowa left over this, however. Geographically, they would fit in with the Big 12, but they would be giving up a lot of conference money (not necessarily in 2020, but in the long run), and while they aren't an original member of the Big Ten, they've been a member for almost 70 years.

I still have a few campus connections in Columbus, and based on what I've been told, there is a strong belief that the Big Ten (and Pac-12) presidents made this decision in part because, in the end, they felt that the rest of the P5 isn't going to play. But why pull the trigger now, instead of delaying the start (like the SEC and ACC) and making a decision after Labor Day? Seems pretty odd to me.

Yeah, that is what's so mind blowing! They had zero reason to make a decision now. Zero. They could have backed the season up to late September or even October if needed. Practice does not have to start for another three weeks at least. If the SEC, ACC, and BIG 12 play a season, then one can only the imagine the ramifications that such a premature illogical decision will have for both the PAC-12 and the BIG TEN for years to come! It could be disastrous. It's very political nowadays in just about everything, and we know who lead these universities, especially in both of those conferences. They jumped the gun bigtime! They had three to four weeks remaining to make a final decision. No reason to cancel so prematurely.

• CoachT locked this topic