COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

3 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Yeah, that is what's so mind blowing! They had zero reason to make a decision now. Zero. They could have backed the season up to late September or even October if needed. Practice does not have to start for another three weeks at least. If the SEC, ACC, and BIG 12 play a season, then one can only the imagine the ramifications that such a premature illogical decision will have for both the PAC-12 and the BIG TEN for years to come! It could be disastrous. It's very political nowadays in just about everything, and we know who lead these universities, especially in both of those conferences. They jumped the gun bigtime! They had three to four weeks remaining to make a final decision. No reason to cancel so prematurely.

Agreed. If 3-4 weeks from now, the conclusions are the same, and these administrators still aren't willing to shoulder that liability, I can live with that. I won't be happy, but I can live with it. But to make the decision 6 weeks out makes little sense to me. Again, the Big Ten has to be banking on the rest of college football shutting things down, but after the player/coach/fan reaction on Monday, who knows what will happen now.

12 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed. If 3-4 weeks from now, the conclusions are the same, and these administrators still aren't willing to shoulder that liability, I can live with that. I won't be happy, but I can live with it. But to make the decision 6 weeks out makes little sense to me. Again, the Big Ten has to be banking on the rest of college football shutting things down, but after the player/coach/fan reaction on Monday, who knows what will happen now.

Yep. Agreed. They are definitely banking on the cancellation of everything. In fact, I think they assumed that all conferences would follow their lead. If it doesn't happen and the others play, wow what a bad look! College football may change forever...meaning conference realignments, recruiting ramifications, financial issues, who knows??!!

17 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Yep. Agreed. They are definitely banking on the cancellation of everything. In fact, I think they assumed that all conferences would follow their lead. If it doesn't happen and the others play, wow what a bad look! College football may change forever...meaning conference realignments, recruiting ramifications, financial issues, who knows??!!

Every day that goes by now that football is not cancelled in the SEC I see a major problem for the big 10. Ohio State lost a big time commitment yesterday. This is really going to be bad for the Big 10. That is the reason I don’t think this is over. Ohio State I just read an article that was written Monday Night that they would pursue other alternatives if their backs were against the wall. You know what happens when things like this happen. Big boosters come out of the woodwork saying you do this or we want give you no more money. Seen it happen too many times. This stuff ain’t over yet. Just getting started. Ohio State will pull something out of their hat. They will fight back with big booster money or something.

Edited by pioneer42

Big10 is saying their athletes can live together in dorms and go to classes and continue to meet and condition/ practice/ watch film together as a team for 20 hours a week? They just can't compete in games this semester? What scientific principle or study states you can only get the corona from an opposing team in an athletic competition?  This is nuts!

3 minutes ago, Salem said:

Big10 is saying their athletes can live together in dorms and go to classes and continue to meet and condition/ practice/ watch film together as a team for 20 hours a week? They just can't compete in games this semester? What scientific principle or study states you can only get the corona from an opposing team in an athletic competition?  This is nuts!

Exactly!! Not to mention, they allowed their teams to condition and practice in the hot summer, released a schedule just last week, and basically faked the entire build up/preparation process just to pull the rug out from under them! Now this mess...let them have workouts for 20 hours a week and classes, but we can't play a 3 1/2 game each Saturday?! What in the world is going on to come to this decision so prematurely and illogically??

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Every day that goes by now that football is not cancelled in the SEC I see a major problem for the big 10. Ohio State lost a big time commitment yesterday. This is really going to be bad for the Big 10. That is the reason I don’t think this is over. Ohio State I just read an article that was written Monday Night that they would pursue other alternatives if their backs were against the wall. You know what happens when things like this happen. Big boosters come out of the woodwork saying you do this or we want give you no more money. Seen it happen too many times. This stuff ain’t over yet. Just getting started. Ohio State will pull something out of their hat. They will fight back with big booster money or something.

Even at OSU, the big booster money is dwarfed by the Big Ten money and TV revenue that they get a big piece of. I know what some people keep saying, but I genuinely do not believe that Ohio State will go to great lengths to pursue an alternative this fall. If we get into September, and someone like Gene Smith gets confirmation that one or more P5 conferences are going to carry on and play, maybe that could change things. A lot can happen in the next month or so, but I still do not believe that we will see college football this fall - right, wrong, or indifferent.

20 minutes ago, Salem said:

110% political. Can’t make me believe otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Salem said:

Agreed. If you're still planning to have classes on campus, the Big Ten's current posture makes no sense at all.

2 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Even at OSU, the big booster money is dwarfed by the Big Ten money and TV revenue that they get a big piece of. I know what some people keep saying, but I genuinely do not believe that Ohio State will go to great lengths to pursue an alternative this fall. If we get into September, and someone like Gene Smith gets confirmation that one or more P5 conferences are going to carry on and play, maybe that could change things. A lot can happen in the next month or so, but I still do not believe that we will see college football this fall - right, wrong, or indifferent.

Clemson and Alabama have had tons of cases and they fought through it. IMO if they were going to cancel it would have already happend. Fall Camp starts Monday. High Schools are fighting through this. Let’s hope and pray the numbers are declining. I do hate it for the Big 10 and PAC 12 fans. It will destroy recruiting as long as the other conferences has the door open.

• Like 1

I've said it over and over and over...we HAVE to live with this! We can't hide from it. If we all bunker down, it will still be there when we come out. It's going to run its course like every virus does. I'll take my chances with a 99.7% to 99.9% survival rate every single time. I have much more of chance to die from any number of other illnesses/diseases/accidents/health-related issues. Those that are at risk or elderly should probably quarantine and stay socially distant for longer, however the rest of us should live life without fear! Take proper precautions obviously, but go on with life and not bow down to the panic and fear. It's ignorant to do so.

22 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

110% political. Can’t make me believe otherwise.

No way.

Has to be another reason it will be safe to play college football in Iowa State’s stadium on Saturdays but not in Iowa’s stadium. Has to be some other reason it won’t be safe across Illinois, Indiana , and Ohio but players in Kentucky or West Virginia are safe.

• Like 1

• CoachT locked this topic