COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

9 hours ago, nrgrizzlies said:

If people had worn masks and stayed home and socially distanced whenever they left the house we would have college football this year.  Some of us made those sacrifices. Others said the virus was fake news and ignored scientists. Those people are why we are still in this mess.  Thanks a bunch, RWNJs.   Enjoy your klandemic up in Sturgis.

Been a mask MANDATE in Madison County for a month... cases are appearing at a higher rate than at any time since this began.

Two conclusions may be drawn from this

1  Masks don't work

2  Much higher rates of testing result in higher "positive" results

One or the other (or some mixture) has to be true. Before you come back with "people aren't respecting the mandate", they've been asking patrons without masks to leave businesses from day one... I have friends who were thrown out of even gas stations.

• Like 2

In Rutherford County people are NOT complying with the mask mandate.  A guy working at one of the two big box hardware stores on Sam Ridley Pkwy in Smyrna had a gun pulled on him the other day when he asked a customer to comply, so the store gave up trying to enforce.  The nearby Kroger was not enforcing today.  The cashiers at a well known discount grocery store in LaVergne were not wearing masks the other day and the manager said he "can't make them" even though he admitted it was a county-wide mandate.  One of the cashiers at the Circle K at the intersection of Murf. Rd. & Stones River Rd. was maskless that day even though they have big signs on the door indicating masks were required.  Target and Publix have done a good job enforcing.  Most places have given up.

Did somebody bring up testing?  Testing is down 42% in Texas and 33% in Ohio. Positive rates meanwhile are up. Something strange is happening with GOP governor-led states lately.  Pretty sure fox "news" won't be bringing that up.

Edited by nrgrizzlies
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bounder said:

Just a thought I would like to see some true facts on how many people that wore masks got the Cover-19 as opposed to how many people that did not wear a mask got the Cover-19. Pretty simple but awfully hard to come up with.

We wear a mask but my  wife had a liver transplant and her meds cause her to not have a adequate immune system for normal life let alone during this mess!   

WILDCAT PRIDE

Good news Bounder. David Clary says they are going to stream the Hardin Valley game so if you don't make it to the game you can still watch. I will be watching the game streamed on my Big Screen.

RWR!

3 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Looks like ACC, Big 12 and SEC are continuing as planned. Big 10 Commissioner is in his first year and probably only year. Ohio State Fans I bet are busting out sheet rock right now. 

I might be the only OSU alum on here, and as disappointed as I am, I understand the liability aspect. I would have preferred the Big Ten just sit tight and make a decision in a month once we've had time to see the effects of reopening college campuses. This could backfire terribly for the conference, especially if the Big 12, ACC, and SEC play without any issues.

Believe it or not, this decision may actually have more to do with preventing the players from unionizing, rather than the medical liability. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I might be the only OSU alum on here, and as disappointed as I am, I understand the liability aspect. I would have preferred the Big Ten just sit tight and make a decision in a month once we've had time to see the effects of reopening college campuses. This could backfire terribly for the conference, especially if the Big 12, ACC, and SEC play without any issues.

Believe it or not, this decision may actually have more to do with preventing the players from unionizing, rather than the medical liability. 

Ohio State Fans are as crazy about football or crazier than we are. Middle TN Bars are taken over by Ohio State Fans on Saturday’s. They are very passionate about their football. I feel bad for the Big 10 and PAC 10 fans right now. They are feeling helpless right about now. Knowing Ohio State I believe they are resorting to plan B about now. That may be a revolt against the President or a revolt against the Big 10 Commisioner.Look for news about Ohio State in the next couple of days. I bet it ain’t over yet.

Edited by pioneer42

15 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Ohio State Fans are as crazy about football or crazier than we are. Middle TN Bars are taken over by Ohio State Fans on Saturday’s. They are very passionate about their football. I feel bad for the Big 10 and PAC 10 fans right now. They are feeling helpless right about now. Knowing Ohio State I believe they are resorting to plan B about now. That may be a revolt against the President or a revolt against the Big 10 Commisioner.Look for news about Ohio State in the next couple of days. I bet it ain’t over yet.

We have a huge OSU alumni group in Knoxville too, and it does get pretty crazy on Saturdays!

I do believe that what we are seeing is going to forever change the college football landscape. The P5 conferences want to protect "amateurism," but with everything going on right now, change is inevitable. The players want to unionize, and the universities don't want any part of that. So either this will evolve into a system where the P5 conferences separate from the NCAA (and maybe even their academic institutions) in order to set their own rules and provide some additional compensation for the players or (if football is postponed across the board this fall) the NFL could step in and create some kind of minor league alternative to college football. 

Either way, I think college football is going to look a lot different in the very near future.

Edited by osunut2

7 hours ago, BatmanLives said:

Not being smart here but just a real question with what little facts I just dug up . Anyone on coacht that is an historian might know the answer to this but I don't.The Spanish flu pandemic just over a hundred years ago infected an estimated 500 million and killed between 20 and 50 million world wide.Some estimates go up to 100 million world wide.The united states lost an estimated 675 thousand. Now the question is simply what did we do differently to only have such a small percentage of the worlds  deaths compared to this pandemic.Or,did our government just pull a China in 1918.

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but the "Spanish" flu supposedly originated in Kansas (transmitted from a hog to a human. I don't recall his name but it's documented). Coinciding with the U.S.'s entry into WWI was just bad luck, but American troops infected entire armies, who in turn spread the bug to every continent on the globe except Antarctica. Spain is credited for identifying the strain, primarily because the U.S. denied the difference between the new and old strains. Numbers vary wildly, but some of the higher credible estimates say that 20% of Earth's population perished directly from, or the compounded effects of the Spanish strain with preexisting health issues. Like with the Corona Virus, the elderly and infirmed suffered high mortality rates, but Unlike CV-19, the Spanish flu was especially dangerous to juveniles. Been a few years since I read most of it, but it's interesting to see what was written in the years following the outbreak... also many photographs that are eerily similar to today. One that I recall is the entire crowd in Yankee Stadium packed together wearing facemasks.

Edit... 

The Spanish flu strain is still with us... now known as H1N1.

Edited by tradertwo

30 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

We have a huge OSU alumni group in Knoxville too, and it does get pretty crazy on Saturdays!

I do believe that what we are seeing is going to forever change the college football landscape. The P5 conferences want to protect "amateurism," but with everything going on right now, change is inevitable. The players want to unionize, and the universities don't want any part of that. So either this will evolve into a system where the P5 conferences separate from the NCAA (and maybe even their academic institutions) in order to set their own rules and provide some additional compensation for the players or (if football is postponed across the board this fall) the NFL could step in and create some kind of minor league alternative to college football. 

Either way, I think college football is going to look a lot different in the very near future.

24 minutes ago, Salem said:

Ohio State and Nebraska have been the most vocal about playing. Will be interesting to see if they go rogue or if some of the top players try the transfer portal to play right away.

Did the President of Ohio State vote to cancel??? Iowa and Nebraska were the two that voted to play right?? On the VolQuest board a while ago someone said the Ohio State President wanted to delay not cancel. She is probably catching it right now.

• CoachT locked this topic