Loretto History 1990 and 1992

3 hours ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

Looking back at their historical record, why did they not make the playoffs either year? The ‘90 record was 9-2 and 8-2 in the regular season. The ‘92 record was 7-3. Those records should have been sufficient for making the playoffs.

Without looking back at the overall district/region standings at the time I'm not sure what happened. But remember that this was at a time when there were only 3 classifications and a lot of teams with good records were left out. If I get a chance, and if I can find it, I will take a look at the standings at that time for them.

1 hour ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Without looking back at the overall district/region standings at the time I'm not sure what happened. But remember that this was at a time when there were only 3 classifications and a lot of teams with good records were left out. If I get a chance, and if I can find it, I will take a look at the standings at that time for them.

Curious about the 9-2 maybe won a bowl game???I would say both years lost two district games and that back then would put you out of the playoffs.

Two loss teams missed playoffs quite often years ago. Most would end up in bowl games. As far as the playoffs though it wouldn’t  have mattered either way. In those years you would be matched against Brentwood Academy in second round and that was just too much for AA teams. Be like letting Alcoa play 1-A ball currently

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sum1uno said:

Two loss teams missed playoffs quite often years ago. Most would end up in bowl games. As far as the playoffs though it wouldn’t  have mattered either way. In those years you would be matched against Brentwood Academy in second round and that was just too much for AA teams. Be like letting Alcoa play 1-A ball currently

Many years ago they used to go by a point system to determine who made the playoffs. A win against a lower classification team got you a few points, same class more points and higher class earned you the most points. There was a Milan team in the early 80’s/late 70’s that went 9-1 and missed the playoffs. Crazy stuff. 

In 1990 only 2 teams from each region went to the playoffs. Loretto lost that year to Lewis County and Hickman County. If those two teams were in the same region as Loretto then that would be why the Mustangs were left out.

In 1992 they lost to Marshall, Giles, and Lewis Counties. Still only 2 teams were going to the playoffs that year as well.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

55 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

In 1990 only 2 teams from each region went to the playoffs. Loretto lost that year to Lewis County and Hickman County. If those two teams were in the same region as Loretto then that would be why the Mustangs were left out.

In 1992 they lost to Marshall, Giles, and Lewis Counties. Still only 2 teams were going to the playoffs that year as well.

Man you better chill with the “lost to Lewis Co” stuff. Pizzapatriot2 will lose his mind!!!

On 6/15/2020 at 6:31 AM, orngnblk said:

Curious about the 9-2 maybe won a bowl game???I would say both years lost two district games and that back then would put you out of the playoffs.

IIRC the T$$AA changed the playoff format in ‘86 from the former two team to the four team format. There were many teams with 6-4 and even 4-6 records making the playoffs back then. I can also remember the playoff change pretty much wiping out the bowl games. So, in a four team playoff format, it is strange that a two loss team does not make it. The merged prep database does not display the region/district.

11 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Man you better chill with the “lost to Lewis Co” stuff. Pizzapatriot2 will lose his mind!!!

That is funny. Perennial paper champions.  

57 minutes ago, Pizzpatriot2 said:

IIRC the T$$AA changed the playoff format in ‘86 from the former two team to the four team format. There were many teams with 6-4 and even 4-6 records making the playoffs back then. I can also remember the playoff change pretty much wiping out the bowl games. So, in a four team playoff format, it is strange that a two loss team does not make it. The merged prep database does not display the region/district.

That is funny. Perennial paper champions.  

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't until the 90's that they went to 4 teams.  As a matter of fact, I think it was when they went to the 5 classification system.