Hillsboro vs. Maryville.

Roba22

From the inside I know Hodge and Killebrew are getting some therapy and should be ready to contrubute to stoping a great Hillsboro team. I agree is will be a game but the rebs seem to be getting thier wind and the o is really beginning to click. Maryville's D will be ready to stop anything that comes it's way. Looking forward to the rematch! MHS 28 HHS 17

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Last year hillsboro was able to score points and it was a battle of offenses. Maryville scored more. The question I have this year is will hillsboro be able to score enough points to outscore Maryville? Will Maryville be able to effectively move against Hillsboro's D? I honestly think that Maryville is too well-balanced and has too many weapons to lose this game. As far as turnovers are concerned, last years turnovers were forced, not given. I'll agree that Maryville didn't dominate Hillsboro last year, but they were the better team. I think they still are. Finally, the winner of this game can legitimately claim to be the best in the state. Germantown lost, BA lost, and Maryville and Hillsboro are the next in line to make that claim. Good luck to both teams, it should be an interesting game.

I'm looking for a great game. Both teams have earned it. I have tremendous respect for Hillsboro and their coaching staff. I agree the turnovers last year were huge, but they were caused. I do however think that Maryville's 2-platoon system paid dividends late in the game because that was when Stewart and Brock ran for huge chunks of yardage. Even after Hillsboro closed the score to 34-27, their defense could not get Maryville stopped and the Rebs were first and goal on the Burro 8 when they ran out the clock. But that was last year and I expect another great game Saturday at the 'Boro. Go Rebs.

Those are all good points KP9481. I never had Hillsboro counted out of the title game. I figure they made it last year they are the team from the west till someone knocks them out and no one did. I know there was a Melrose awaits Maryville thread on here but i did not pay much notice to it. Keep in mind we are big game tested also. Playing in three state title games can do that for you. Also a team's offense is dictated on what the defense is doing. In other words if your approach this year is to stop stewart Maryville has other ways to attack. Last night for instance. MW keyed on stewart all night and he was held to 54 yards or so. the other running back had over a hundred though and the qb hit 7-12 for over a hundred yards. It will be a great game though. I tell you though the qb you had last year ran the wing t about as good as i have ever seen. Can't remember his name but he was good.

Hillsboro has some great athletes. Maryville better be ready to play.

Hillsboro has a great defense but I guarantee you they have not seen an offense like Maryville has.Maryville is balanced. Maryville will have to slow down Hillsboro's running game. If Maryville is giving up yards on the run then the coaches need to stick Brandon Waters in there on defense.

I expect a close game. MHS 28 HHS 21

Maryville may have a great offense, but they haven't seen a defense like Hillsboro's. Melrose had Michael Vick Jr. at quarterback, and he didn't help his team get more than one touchdown on the board.

It is very easy to think that the same Hillsboro and Maryville teams will show up on the field this year. But that would be a mistake. Although one could easy assume that Hillsboro is not as talented this year, that is not the case.

Hillsboro is actually playing better against the pass this year, and they will be better prepared for Maryville's offense. I will be shocked if Maryville scores more than two touchdowns. Unless Maryville's defense is weaker than it was last year, I will predict that Maryville wins if they score more than two touchdowns.

Many people thought Melrose might have been the best opponent to test Maryville in the championship game. As the score indicates, Hillsboro and Melrose are fairly even. The edge goes to Hillsboro's heart -- their desire to win the championship this year.

How many teams have gone to a championship game and lost their first time, but returned the next year to win? I doubt Maryville has played a team with as much speed and quickness as Hillsboro, and I doubt Maryville has played a team that hits as hard as Hillsboro does for 60 minutes.

To win the game, Maryville will have to make fewer turnovers than Hillsboro, and Maryville will have to score points off Hillsboro's turnovers. I believe Hillsboro will turn the ball over at least once or twice in this game. When the Burro's turn the ball over, and how Maryville capitalizes on the turnovers will be key.

If the temperature is not as warm as it was last year, I don't think Maryville's two-platoon system will hurt Hillsboro as much as it did last year. But it will be tough for Hillsboro to face such a strong team after getting banged up in the play-offs.

My prediction: Hillsboro 10 - Maryville 7

Rebel fans are laughing and shaking their heads at this low-scoring prediction. They cannot imagine anyone holding Maryville to less than 3-4 touchdowns, and if they are right, Maryville probably wins the game.

But not so fast my invincible-talking friends! If Hillsboro controls field position with their defense and superior kicking game, they will minimize Maryville's scoring opportunities. And if Hillsboro creates turnovers at inopportune times for the Rebels, Hillsboro will control both field and time of possession.

Each scoring opportunity will be critical in this game. Maryville's field goal kicking will be important. Maryville's quarterback will have less time to throw the ball than he has had all season. But if the Rebels can control the line of scrimmage and give their quarterback time to throw the ball, the advantage could go to Maryville.

This will be a great game, and whoever loses this game is not a "loser." Both teams' fans are going to be shocked at how good the other team is. I believe Maryville fans have underrated Hillsboro's performance from last year's game, and they are over-estimating the Rebels' chances.

How good is Hillsboro? They are capable of shutting out the Rebels. Playing in last year's championship game provided invaluable experience for Hillsboro. This year's team has played with a purpose, and that purpose was to get back to Murfreesboro. This is a heavyweight bout: Ali vs. Frazier. This is what a championship game is all about...two undefeated teams meeting in a rematch.

[Edited by StanTrott on 12-1-02 7:32A]

Stan Trott all the things you say are possible. Although being able to even name the number of turnovers a team will make could be a stretch. I am not laughing at any of those thoughts. I do blieve though it is worth mentioning that we heard the same thing about Hillsboro last year. i think they were averaging giving up three points a game last year when we played them and we scored 34. Maybe we have not played a team with their speed. people said the same thing before we beat memphis east two years ago. On the other hand maybe they have not seen an offense like ours even if we don't have Vick Jr at qb. i know this is the match up you have been waiting for because you have said all year that they would beat us. I guess now we will find out.

When Hillsboro changed its defensive package from "man-on-man'" to ''zone" for the FIRST time all year against the Rebels, the Hillsboro players did not respond at all well to the new system. What was worse is we never adjusted and reverted back to our man defense the entire game.

The fact our defense gave up less than a TD every game all year is a telling statement. Remember the cailber of most of our opponents, okay... and then remember the 2nd and 3rd string played most of the 2nd half as well and still held 'em.

It's not nearly as much about Maryville performing great on offense, although you certainly took advantage. No, the Burros were stuck playing in a defensive scheme with which they were not familiar and had to play catch-up all game. Our running game was accustomed to scoring most of our points and controlling time of possession. We couldn't do this for the need to pass more and score quickly. Those turnovers killed us, too.

I know: excuses, excuses. But this year will be different.

[Edited by KP9481 on 12-1-02 12:42P]

I haven't seen Hillsboro play this year, but I can tell

you one thing for certain. They better have 3 stud DB's if

they plan to play Maryville's 3 wideouts man-to-man. If

not, then Brad Merritt will be Clinic Bowl MVP. If that

kid doesn't get a college football scholarship, then they need to quit giving them out.