Who is moving up or down for 2021

TheTruthPrevails

Division I doesn't have a clear set cutoff enrollment number like DII does.  Our division will be split evenly among 6 classes.  And the largest enrollment school in each classification will determine the cutoff number for any new school coming in this next classification period which is only for a 2 year period.  Then back to the drawing board. 

If there are 300 football playing schools then 50 will be placed in each class. (As approximate as possible) 

300÷6 = 50.

You can elect to play up but it won't affect the cutoff number that will be set after the placement of schools.  

And no one is allowed to play down. 

Everything between now and then is pure speculation.  

4 hours ago, TennesseeValley said:

The only schools who haven’t turned in their enrollment are the Memphis City Schools. Has anyone else noticed that? Remember there’s a chance that the Shelby County Schools will break away from the TSSAA. So I wonder if they will hold off on sending their numbers in just to prolong the TSSAA?

If Shelby County doesn’t participate in TSSAA next year, I don’t know how they could stick with the 4 class plan for basketball and I would assume we would have to drop back to 5 classes in football. Hopefully, SCS will get their act together so we can move on with planning. 

11 hours ago, ocac said:

Some systems have not even started yet or just got started.  TSSAA does not have all the numbers yet.  It will be interesting to see how TSSAA handles schools that turn in an enrollment of 1399 and then when school starts back in '21 full speed and their enrollment is back to 1600 because the homeschool kids are back in.  There is a difference between homeschool and virtual.  Schools must count virtual kids, but not the kids who declare homeschool because parents don't want to deal with vaccines and curriculum or have internet issues.  Lot's of scenarios in play.

Which schools haven’t started yet?

And I agree these numbers are going to be out of whack. Homeschool will be a problem. I heard there is a school close to us putting kids in their virtual academy because it counts as a different school and doesn’t count on high school numbers. And before y’all say they won’t get funding for them, It is a separate school in their school district that is online only. They still count the kids in the district, just not at the county high school where sports are played. 

12 minutes ago, Richmond30 said:

If Shelby County doesn’t participate in TSSAA next year, I don’t know how they could stick with the 4 class plan for basketball and I would assume we would have to drop back to 5 classes in football. Hopefully, SCS will get their act together so we can move on with planning. 

Bernard Childress came off the top rope in his letter to Shelby County Schools Superintendent.   I'd say they are still addled by his response.  Hopefully, they'll pick themselves up off the mat, start thinking with clearer thoughts and not try to hold the TSSAA hostage along with the rest of us.  

This is no time to be playing TitForTat.    

Edited by Southtowner

Just now, Southtowner said:

Bernard Childress came off the top rope in his letter to Shelby County Schools Superintendent.   I'd say they are still addled by his response.  Hopefully, they'll pick themselves up off the mat, start thinking with clearer thoughts and not try to hold the TSSAA hostage along with the rest of us.  

This is no time for #### for tat.    

I agree but based on their decision making track record, I would guess they will hold out as long as possible, make threats about breaking away and then ultimately realize that will be extremely difficult and costly and sign back up for TSSAA at the last minute. 

In the interim, TSSAA will be forced to start a contingency plan that will likely be for nothing when SCS gets their act together. The frustrating part of this is schools will start planning schedules only to have that scrapped for an updated version. I wish TSSAA would set a deadline to say whether they are in or out. 

Just now, Richmond30 said:

I agree but based on their decision making track record, I would guess they will hold out as long as possible, make threats about breaking away and then ultimately realize that will be extremely difficult and costly and sign back up for TSSAA at the last minute. 

In the interim, TSSAA will be forced to start a contingency plan that will likely be for nothing when SCS gets their act together. The frustrating part of this is schools will start planning schedules only to have that scrapped for an updated version. I wish TSSAA would set a deadline to say whether they are in or out. 

I would say that deadline would be for mid Oct just like it is during other reclassification structure time.  

Enrollment is just the start of the process.  

Classes,  schools placed,  regions fixed, schedules to be made.  Etc etc.  

I know you understand the process and agree this is no time to be dragging anything out.  

I agree.  Set a concrete deadline.  Either in or out. 

Another question I have is why didn’t they use February 2020 numbers for high schools before all the COVID stuff started impacting schools. This would be really close to what everyone would be at if we didn’t have to readjust everything due to COVID. If these 20th day enrollment numbers are indeed inaccurate due to homeschool, not counting stuff right, etc. when compared against what the schools normally would have had, it could be a pretty jacked up 2 years of schools being where they don’t really belong classification wise. Not sure how they are going to be able to address given their criteria for enrollment numbers. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Richmond30 said:

Another question I have is why didn’t they use February 2020 numbers for high schools before all the COVID stuff started impacting schools. This would be really close to what everyone would be at if we didn’t have to readjust everything due to COVID. If these 20th day enrollment numbers are indeed inaccurate due to homeschool, not counting stuff right, etc. when compared against what the schools normally would have had, it could be a pretty jacked up 2 years of schools being where they don’t really belong classification wise. Not sure how they are going to be able to address given their criteria for enrollment numbers. 

I'm all for a freeze this year and let's look at next year's enrollment,and honestly what you said makes to much sense and would be to easy ,maybe off by a few students here and there ! When have any of us seen any governing body of any type do the smart or simple thing,old adage step over a dollar to pick up a dime is what they do...

6 hours ago, Tide21 said:

Since we are doing scores Milan beat Covington and we beat the brakes off of Milan so by some of these guys logic we beat Covington 

Bear in mind, I'm not arguing that any 1A school would've beaten Peabody last year.

I'm arguing that 1A and 2A are more competitive than you are insinuating.

Peabody was a very good football team last year, and is almost every year. 

3 minutes ago, TheRefuter said:

Bear in mind, I'm not arguing that any 1A school would've beaten Peabody last year.

I'm arguing that 1A and 2A are more competitive than you are insinuating.

Peabody was a very good football team last year, and is almost every year. 

Very valid point two of the top tier 2a programs are in fact 1 a enrollment,PHS and TC. Which goes further to say very little if any difference.

Some funny posts on this thread!! .. I’d hate to be decision makers in TSSAA. Idea of freezing reclassification or using pre-Covid numbers is legit. If regular folk call/write TSSAA with such good ideas does that have any weight or bearing? (Prob not is my guess. smh) .. As to which teams are best in 1A & 2A.. guess what this myopic, biased old hick from the sticks will say? Hehe. Which btw, the mighty Lions are “iffy” this year, sputters & backfiring at times (waaaay too many penalties!!!), but we still just might have things tuned-up & dialed-in by playoffs & have a surprise-to-all deep run this year. And as young as we are, playing as we do, Dresden might just be back in the mix of winning a lot of games again these next few years! But if some of those current 2A teams drop back to 1A, well, rhut rhow, that just made 1A much rougher for us po’ ‘ol country boys out here in Green Acres County in Mayberry. .. And as for classification, including going by which stores towns have, how about considering the number of traffic lights (3 light kind, exclude blinking lights)? That’d be fair, right? ... GOOOO LIONS!