Mr. Football Candidates!

FridayMainEvent

2 hours ago, BBRaider said:

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/community/mr-football-awards#:~:text=A committee of statewide sports,Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association.

Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards

Tennessee's best high school football players for 2019 were recognized at the Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards dinner hosted by the Tennessee Titans in December. 

More than 400 people, including the honorees, their families, coaches, school administrators and members of the media from all parts of the state, attended the 2019 luncheon at Nissan Stadium. 

"This is such an outstanding honor for all 30 of the young men recognized today at the Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards," said Bernard Childress, Executive Director of the TSSAA. "They were here not only due to their athletic ability that they displayed on the field throughout the season, but just as much for their outstanding character and academic achievements."  

High school head coaches and members of the media nominated the finalists. A committee of statewide sports writers selected winners based on performance in the 2019 regular season. Academics and character were also taken into consideration. 

The awards were presented to the top football players in each of the nine classifications of the Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association. The top kickers in the state were also recognized. There were three finalists in this category, regardless of their school's classification.

Dude, I'm not trying to argue with you.  I actually nominated Kyler Parker and I'm friends with his Dad, Kenneth.   

I'm trying to make you understand a nomination at this phase of the game means nothing.   It means someone submitted a name for consideration.   NOTHING in the way of semi-finalist is determined yet.   As I said, no Coach has anything to do with who is picked.   The committee you highlighted, determines that.  It is SPORTS WRITERS.  Not Coaches.

I've participated for 8 years.  I know a little about it.

Edited by FridayMainEvent

1 hour ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Dude, I'm not trying to argue with you.  I actually nominated Kyler Parker and I'm friends with his Dad, Kenneth.   

I'm trying to make you understand a nomination at this phase of the game means nothing.   It means someone submitted a name for consideration.   NOTHING in the way of semi-finalist is determined yet.   As I said, no Coach has anything to do with who is picked.   The committee you highlighted, determines that.  It is SPORTS WRITERS.  Not Coaches.

My dude I’m not arguing with you ether. Sounds like we are saying the same thing but in a different way. I never once in my post(s) said those two where “Finalist” or “SemiFinalist” I simply stated they where nominees picked by the Area Coaches. 

I don’t think anyone has stated those 2 are “SemiFinalists” 

Edited by BBRaider

4 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Thanks for the nomination. Kyler has had a great year for sure. I know he still has goals tk achieve 

Here’s how I see it. 
The top teams should have someone represent them.

I really do not understand how anyone could leave a player off from Watertown, Trousdale, Meigs, and Peabody.

Watertown has 2 guys that could go anywhere in the state and make that team better.

Granted Rankins from TC was hurt early on but I don’t see how anyone could watch a TC football game and think that Rankins isn’t worthy of a Mr. Football nomination after guys from teams who have won 6-7 games will get nominated. 

Meadows from Meigs and the kid from Peabody have ripped apart defenses all year.

In my opinion, these guys should get nominations just because they lead the best teams in the state and or have incredible stats. But we all know that won’t happen. 

7 hours ago, PiddyDaFull said:

Here’s how I see it. 

I really do not understand how anyone could leave a player off from Watertown, Trousdale, Meigs, and Peabody.

Watertown has 2 guys that could go anywhere in the state and make that team better.

Granted Rankins from TC was hurt early on but I don’t see how anyone could watch a TC football game and think that Rankins isn’t worthy of a Mr. Football nomination after guys from teams who have won 6-7 games will get nominated. 

Meadows from Meigs and the kid from Peabody have ripped apart defenses all year.

In my opinion, these guys should get nominations just because they lead the best teams in the state and or have incredible stats. But we all know that won’t happen. 

Good post.

10 hours ago, PiddyDaFull said:

Here’s how I see it. 

There's your problem, my friend.   You mentioned 4 teams that should have people nominated.   We're only allowed 3 nominees per class.   If you go by team success only, I don't see that as a fair standard.    I factor in how important a player is to their team, so I guess that's kind of the same thing.   There is so much criteria to consider and so many kids to consider.   

The worse thing TSSAA has done in regard to this procedure is do away with the "lineman" Mr. Football award.   They virtually have no shot now because they are typically making the newpaper each week or having their names called out over the PA.   That's one thing I hope we eventually bring back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PiddyDaFull said:

Here’s how I see it. 

The top teams compete for a Gold Ball. Mr Football goes to the individual a group of media people (many incredibly lazy and uninformed) select.  Your top team list doesn't include a few undefeated 2A teams. Who decides that their players don't deserve consideration?  It's all subjective. 

3 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

There's your problem, my friend.   You mentioned 4 teams that should have people nominated.   We're only allowed 3 nominees per class.   If you go by team success only, I don't see that as a fair standard.    I factor in how important a player is to their team, so I guess that's kind of the same thing.   There is so much criteria to consider and so many kids to consider.   

The worse thing TSSAA has done in regard to this procedure is do away with the "lineman" Mr. Football award.   They virtually have no shot now because they are typically making the newpaper each week or having their names called out over the PA.   That's one thing I hope we eventually bring back.

How would you choose a mr football lineman ?  Size ? Pancakes  ?  I’m being serious. It seems like it would be hard to do 

9 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

How would you choose a mr football lineman ?  Size ? Pancakes  ?  I’m being serious. It seems like it would be hard to do 

Should be Defensive and Offensive Mr. Football with a Team Mr Football given to best O-Line.  Rely more on the Regional High School Coaches nomination to narrow the field Down so writers don’t have to watch as much film before making an educated decision.