Let's talk " West Ridge High School Wolves " Sullivan County / Kingsport

kingindian33

18 hours ago, blazer1set said:

This could change as we get closer to the 2021 season and see what everyone else has,   but here would be a guess as to West Ridge's first season:

@ Volunteer.......(win  1-0)
@ Daniel Boone....(win  2-0)
Science Hill......(loss 2-1)
@ Dobyns-Bennett..(loss 2-2)
@ Cherokee........(win  3-2)
@ William Blount..(loss 3-3)
@ David Crockett..(loss 3-4)
Morristown East...(win  4-4)
Tennessee.........(loss 4-5)
Jefferson County..(win  5-5)

I think it is unlikely but totally possible:

Wins: Volunteer, Boone, Cherokee, Blount, Crockett, East, Jeff

Losses: Science Hill, DB, TN High

7-3 with a playoff berth

But also in that sense it could be:

Wins: Volunteer, Cherokee, East

Losses: Boone, SH, DB, WB, Crockett, TN High, Jeff

3-7 

Hilton has to get into the 3 Sullivan County High Schools and start building the energy of those kids to want to be a part of West Ridge, if not they are in for a rough time, but combining those schools, I think they have a shot to wins those games, but they need to play their cards right.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:54 AM, BatmanDevil said:

Maybe it's just my memory but in the last  35 years, there hasn't been many brand new high schools with new names,built in net. In the twenty years before that ,there were a bunch built,so I guess it's about time for a little updating in the area.

I remember when the idea was first being floated around about consolidation in the late 70's. The original idea was to build 1 school that combined Ketron, Lynn View, Sullivan West and part of Central. Hind site is 20/20 so they say but if that had happened back then we probably wouldn't be building West Ridge right now.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:20 PM, Oldrebel63 said:

If what I’m understanding is true that DB had only 60ish varsity players at the end of the regular season and cut 20 some from the team for the playoffs due to increased chance of getting COVID introduced into the team, that would drop the # down into the 40’s and they graduate 31 seniors, that leaves very few returning next year, and the talk on the street is that some will be transferring  to West Ridge.  What talent pool will the upcoming classes have, having watched the middle schools play the last several years neither one has done very well.

AND, Elizabethton’s JV (freshman and sophomores only) played the DB JV (which had juniors playing) 4 times last season and won 3 out of 4. That doesn’t bode well for DB OR screams volumes for the Betsy squad!

On 12/9/2020 at 8:50 AM, DBKPT93 said:

I think it is unlikely but totally possible:

Wins: Volunteer, Boone, Cherokee, Blount, Crockett, East, Jeff

Losses: Science Hill, DB, TN High

7-3 with a playoff berth

But also in that sense it could be:

Wins: Volunteer, Cherokee, East

Losses: Boone, SH, DB, WB, Crockett, TN High, Jeff

3-7 

Hilton has to get into the 3 Sullivan County High Schools and start building the energy of those kids to want to be a part of West Ridge, if not they are in for a rough time, but combining those schools, I think they have a shot to wins those games, but they need to play their cards right.

Any news on potential transfers yet? I figure not only could they transfer to DB, but what about Elizabethton or Greeneville? Both are always in the conversation for deep playoff runs and with the last 4 state titles between those schools, either would be a nice landing spot for talent.

8 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

Any news on potential transfers yet? I figure not only could they transfer to DB, but what about Elizabethton or Greeneville? Both are always in the conversation for deep playoff runs and with the last 4 state titles between those schools, either would be a nice landing spot for talent.

Any NET student wanting to play for a team with state title hopes and is thinking of transferring to another NET high school might consider this:

The last time Science Hill beat Maryville was 1940 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Science Hill&Team1=Maryville)

The last time DB beat Maryville was 1945 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Dobyns-Bennett&Team1=Maryville)

So as you pointed out, that leaves Elizabethton or Greeneville.            Let the migrations begin.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Any NET student wanting to play for a team with state title hopes and is thinking of transferring to another NET high school might consider this:

The last time Science Hill beat Maryville was 1940 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Science Hill&Team1=Maryville)

The last time DB beat Maryville was 1945 (https://tennprepdb.com/teamhomeversusgames.aspx?Team2=Dobyns-Bennett&Team1=Maryville)

So as you pointed out, that leaves Elizabethton or Greeneville.            Let the migrations begin.......

Has Elizabethton or Greeneville ever beat Maryville? 

10 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

If there are to be any transfers or simply students that choose to attend DB in the future it would make more since they would attend DB just from a location standpoint. Heck 1/3 of those students from North and South are closer to DB than they are to the new school. And this is just me thinking but I think DB will get the best athletes from North. Especially the next couple years. DB graduated half their team this year so playing time will be there. 

10 hours ago, BigDaddyDave said:

AND, Elizabethton’s JV (freshman and sophomores only) played the DB JV (which had juniors playing) 4 times last season and won 3 out of 4. That doesn’t bode well for DB OR screams volumes for the Betsy squad!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that. DB has never put a lot of effort in the JV games. And most likely the only juniors that played are those that will hardly ever see the field on varsity. I'm not knocking the Betsy squad but I'd be more concerned that they lost that one game. 

It's my understanding that Colonial Heights 8th grade went undefeated this past season and Holston went 6-3. Have no Idea how Sullivan, North Middle or Blountville fared. I agree with Waco that DB stands a good chance of gaining either students or student athletes simply because of the distance, put Gate City into that mix as well for North athletes. However if, and I mean a big if, the staff at West Ridge can drum up enough excitement and can keep everyone in zone, then I think they can be competitive.