Transfers from Memphis

BallIsLife1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:05 AM, UCSportsFan said:

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. And it wouldn’t surprise me if T$$AA allows it to happen!  I don’t have a problem with it as long as they are made to follow the same rules as the rest of the kids in the state. But we all know that won’t happen. 

As what people in East Tennessee say in football, “It Happens Everywhere”

Coach Buggs is an assistant coach at Houston High School and also coaches the red team at hoops city aau.  Jonathan Lawson plays on the grey team at hoops city aau where his dad is the coach.  These teams play often and are essentially the same team just divided into two teams.  T$$AA put in a prior coaching link rule.  Whether he moved into the district or not it sure seems like a prior coaching link to me. 

On 12/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, Karl said:

Coach Buggs is an assistant coach at Houston High School and also coaches the red team at hoops city aau.  Jonathan Lawson plays on the grey team at hoops city aau where his dad is the coach.  These teams play often and are essentially the same team just divided into two teams.  T$$AA put in a prior coaching link rule.  Whether he moved into the district or not it sure seems like a prior coaching link to me. 

This is illegal and should not be allowed to happen unless the family has moved into that district. T$$AA is a joke!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 5:05 PM, UCSportsFan said:

This is illegal and should not be allowed to happen unless the family has moved into that district. T$$AA is a joke!

According to the Commercial Appeal newspaper Lawson moved in the Houston school district.  Whether the move is legit or not I don't know.  What I do know is far too many times an address is used to enroll in a certain school and nobody checks on it.  If there was a prior coaching link a legitimate move would not matter.  A big red flag to me is that two out of state 6'10 transfers came in this year with one already committed  to LSU.  Now I am suppose to believe a division 1 Oregon commit  by chance has also moved into the district.     

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, chs1984 said:

Most of the top high school basketball players in the nation now play for two, three, sometimes even four different high schools in their careers. It’s just where we are as a society. Unfortunately, here in Georgia, that is starting to happen in football as well.

Your post is spot on! AAU and High School Basketball have really taken off in the state of TN in the last 7-10 years. Because of that the exposure they are getting is luring kids into the state,  TN is becoming a hot bed for big named athletes in High School in multiple sports. I’m all for it and don’t blame the kids for bettering their situations, but  only if they transfer the legal way, letting schools have free reign on the transfer rules (I.E. Shelby County) while other schools are struggling to get transfers eligible or them being ruled ineligible and have to sit a year when they went through all the right protocols isn’t right. It happens every year, the rules apply to some and others get to ignore them if it means competing for a state title. 

• Like 1