Best Players to Ever Play

westtn12

I've seen the great Bradley Central teams play in the Ladies Classic tournament in Greeneville, Tennessee in the early 1990s and, most recently, in 2016 and 2017.

The Ladies Classic features very good out-of-state competition, and has had great teams from Tennessee. Too many to mention.

Paige Redman was tournament MVP in 1993 and made the all-tournament team in 1994. Both of those years, Bradley won the tournament.

Much later, I watched Rhyne Howard, in amazement, as Bradley Central won the tournament title in 2016 and 2017.

Since I am a South Greene "homer," it is necessary to mention that the Lady Rebels were champions for the Ladies Classic tournament's first four years, including the 1992 SG team that went 37 and 0. It would be sacrilegious for me to even try to pick a girl from any of six South Greene teams that won Tennessee state titles,—the first two of which were during the 1980s—as being the best player ever.

In the Ladies Classic 2017 semi-finals, South Greene, the 2016 Tennessee Class A Champion, was going against 3A Bradley Central. It was exciting to see how our team would perform against an excellent Bradley team, led by 6'2" point guard, Rhyne Howard.

The SG coach came up with a defensive surprise. He had 5'4" Kinsley Wykle guard Howard. Wykle followed her closely all over the court. If Howard posted down low, Wykle followed her. This would allow Howard to be double teamed by Taylor Lamb or whoever was available. The excellent outside shooters for Bradley had very good "looks" for three point shots, except they weren't hitting. South Greene was up by as many as 18 points in the first half. My recollection is that Bradley began narrowing the lead and were down by about 8 at halftime. Bradley won the game by 8 points because, once they began hitting most of their threes, SG had to change its defense.

Rhyne Howard made things look easy. No doubt about it. Still much of her success was due to her being a part of a very good team. What I liked most about her, was her willingness to be a team player. It would be interesting to find out how many assists she had during her high school career. She is the epitome of the selfless player, in my opinion.

Our favorite players lead their teams in different categories, but are mostly given recognition according to points scored.

Taking into consideration that the game has changed a lot, and given the choice to pick a best all-around player, that I have watched play, it would have to be Rhyne Howard. She is great in every facet of the game. 

2 hours ago, Americal198 said:

I've seen the great Bradley Central teams play in the Ladies Classic tournament in Greeneville, Tennessee in the early 1990s and, most recently, in 2016 and 2017.

The Ladies Classic features very good out-of-state competition, and has had great teams from Tennessee. Too many to mention.

Paige Redman was tournament MVP in 1993 and made the all-tournament team in 1994. Both of those years, Bradley won the tournament.

Much later, I watched Rhyne Howard, in amazement, as Bradley Central won the tournament title in 2016 and 2017.

Since I am a South Greene "homer," it is necessary to mention that the Lady Rebels were champions for the Ladies Classic tournament's first four years, including the 1992 SG team that went 37 and 0. It would be sacrilegious for me to even try to pick a girl from any of six South Greene teams that won Tennessee state titles,—the first two of which were during the 1980s—as being the best player ever.

In the Ladies Classic 2017 semi-finals, South Greene, the 2016 Tennessee Class A Champion, was going against 3A Bradley Central. It was exciting to see how our team would perform against an excellent Bradley team, led by 6'2" point guard, Rhyne Howard.

The SG coach came up with a defensive surprise. He had 5'4" Kinsley Wykle guard Howard. Wykle followed her closely all over the court. If Howard posted down low, Wykle followed her. This would allow Howard to be double teamed by Taylor Lamb or whoever was available. The excellent outside shooters for Bradley had very good "looks" for three point shots, except they weren't hitting. South Greene was up by as many as 18 points in the first half. My recollection is that Bradley began narrowing the lead and were down by about 8 at halftime. Bradley won the game by 8 points because, once they began hitting most of their threes, SG had to change its defense.

Rhyne Howard made things look easy. No doubt about it. Still much of her success was due to her being a part of a very good team. What I liked most about her, was her willingness to be a team player. It would be interesting to find out how many assists she had during her high school career. She is the epitome of the selfless player, in my opinion.

Our favorite players lead their teams in different categories, but are mostly given recognition according to points scored.

Taking into consideration that the game has changed a lot, and given the choice to pick a best all-around player, that I have watched play, it would have to be Rhyne Howard. She is great in every facet of the game. 

I remember a lot of the teams, players, and games you mentioned. A Kellie Jolly Harper led White County team ended Bradleys(with P. Redmon) season in the substate in 93 AND in  94.

8 hours ago, 85warrior said:

I remember a lot of the teams, players, and games you mentioned. A Kellie Jolly Harper led White County team ended Bradleys(with P. Redmon) season in the substate in 93 AND in  94.

Kelly Harper deserves to be highly rated as a high school player, also. After graduation from HS, she's earned some mighty credentials.

If you are not aware of each year's tourney brackets, follow this link to the interesting TSSAA site:

Girls' Basketball Championship Results (tssaasports.com) 

12 hours ago, Americal198 said:

I remember in the early 90’s Meigs and South Greene had some good battles, both teams had some really good players. Meigs had 3 D1 players and in a 5 year run, they went 172-6 

1991. 31-1

1992. 35-2 runner up. Lost to SG in the champ

1993. 37-1 state champ. beat SG in second round.

1994. 32-2 lost to SG in the second round. 

1995. 37-1 state champ.

Edited by Dadof2

31 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

I remember in the early 90’s Meigs and South Greene had some good battles, both teams had some really good players. Meigs had 3 D1 players and in a 5 year run, they went 172-6 

1991. 31-1

1992. 35-2 runner up. Lost to SG in the champ

1993. 37-1 state champ. beat SG in second round.

1994. 32-2 lost to SG in the second round. 

1995. 37-1 state champ.

Yes, Meigs is still considered a long time rival. It was great watching Meigs in the Ladies Classic last year. They lost a heartbreaker to Upperman in OT. Both South Greene and Meigs have had some good football teams the past few years also. You all need to be in our district.

16 minutes ago, Americal198 said:

Yes, Meigs is still considered a long time rival. It was great watching Meigs in the Ladies Classic last year. They lost a heartbreaker to Upperman in OT. Both South Greene and Meigs have had some good football teams the past few years also. You all need to be in our district.

Yes Meigs lost two heartbreaking games to Upperman last year. The substate game went double OT. That one was really hard to sallow, because it was my daughter’s senior year. She played for 4 substate games only to lose to South Greene, Upperman  twice and Macon. The district would be fun but just a little to far to drive. 

This maybe just an urban legend but I think I read somewhere that either Meigs or South Greene was returning from a game in which they played poorly and the Coach got so mad thinking about the game he made the players get off the bus and walk the rest of the way home.

As I said, I don't know if that is true.

I used to listen to Oak Ridge games (still do) from the Greene County Bank tournaments. Those were not just run of the mill games. Many involved Nationally Ranked Out of State teams vs. Nationally Ranked Tennessee teams....Those were GREAT TIMES!

Has anybody put the name Courtney McDaniel of Tennessee High (Bristol) in this thread? I watched her practice and play many AAU games with the Tennessee Stars. She was tough on the inside. I believe a CoachT poster ( a Knox. Catholic supporter ) helped coach her to an AAU National Championship with the TN Stars.

Other players on the team were Ashley Shield and Abi Ramsey.