Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

17 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I would make South Gibson sign my own personal contract before I took their job especially with their principal and AD. Meaning I am going to get a big time booster club set up and have fund raisers and camps and legal money making gigs quite often to get any thing needed to make this program better. Also I put in writing what I am going to do and that is have year round camps, play days and open gyms for feeder programs up to HS. I would demand this and I wouldn’t take a job there without a contract signed. Also I would let them know I don’t care who knows who and who goes to grill outs with who that my way is the highway and the best players will be on the floor, not the most popular. And I am not dealing with parents going to principals because their child is not playing. Let’s be for real. They just lost maybe the best young coach in the state in their boys program. Now would be my time to get some leverage with their administration right off the bat before I signed off to jump in there. 

There is always going to be upset parents in high school sports so you will have to deal with that regardless!

On 5/9/2021 at 7:41 AM, TryNotToSuck said:

Rather have a team miss a summer season and hire the right coach, than not miss a summer season and hire the wrong coach. Schools should take their tIme.

I agree but you also cant wait around for the perfect person to come along. At some point you have to take the best available option. Get too picky and you end up with no one and then have to make a panic hire. 

9 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

It is happening all over the place. I can rattle off a number of successful programs that "recruit". There isn't really a way to stop it from happening.

Parents move a lot these days as well and you have a lot of 1 parent families where a child may decide to live with the other parent. Kids swap schools. Is what it is.

16 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Parents move a lot these days as well and you have a lot of 1 parent families where a child may decide to live with the other parent. Kids swap schools. Is what it is.

And parents are more willing to uproot their lives to try and give their kid a chance in sports. It isnt always the school recruiting a player but parents moving their kids to a place with a good program. But there are definitely places out there actually recruiting.

1 minute ago, SportsWestTN said:

And parents are more willing to uproot their lives to try and give their kid a chance in sports. It isnt always the school recruiting a player but parents moving their kids to a place with a good program. But there are definitely places out there actually recruiting.

I lived in Murfreesboro and sold real estate 10 years and school zones changed often as well. No doubt parents are more willing to pack up and move to help their children. South Gibson is a hot market with tons of out of towers moving in. It wouldn’t be hard at all for South Gibson to intercept some good ball players if they make a hire like Embry at Summertown. I will have to see it to believe it though but they are West Tennessee’s Murfreesboro hot school zone. 

3 minutes ago, WhereYouAt said:

I would say that is not only at South Gibson. 

Nothing will make a coach madder than going to their supervisor. Better for kids themselves to go to coaches office, which many are scared to do. Parents mad because their kid is not playing and goes to the administration making up other garbage about the coach trying to get them fired usually don’t end well. You know there is some parent coach interaction any way and just conversations in general and to me there is always that question of “where does my child need to get better or where do you want me to concentrate at home” question that can go a long way especially during the off season when you don’t see your kid on the floor for a while. Because you can work on their weaknesses in other workouts and lessons outside of school. 

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Nothing wrong with moving, but you don't need school coaches or summer coaches with an agenda being involved in the process. 

14 minutes ago, Indian said:

Nothing wrong with moving, but you don't need school coaches or summer coaches with an agenda being involved in the process. 

Yep I agree. Your average West TN parent is not going to move though just to play ball in your average town other than business or a custodial move. We don’t have a lot of that going on in West TN I don’t think. South Gibson gets some mainly to live in their real estate market. But I could see good ball players parents more apt to move there than any other school.

Edited by pioneer42