Never too early, Coaching Vacancies

TennesseeValley

15 minutes ago, maddams said:

I'm curious.  With South Gibson taking this long, have they offered the job and been turned down by one or more coaches? Or have they just not found someone they're comfortable with?

I think Dyersburg is a good job based on history and pay scale, but the new coach has to get through some lean years in the immediate future.  They were down this year and graduated their best players.  The best player in the middle school program just moved to Riverdale with mom and dad.  

USJ has a long history of success but I'm not sure they are in a position to compete with Webb, Lakeway Christian, and a couple other private schools that are bringing in high level athletes on financial aid.  

I would rank the Bolivar job ahead of the Ripley job just based on their district/region alignments

It will be tough for the Lady Bruins to win a state title against the programs you mentioned. But they should have a shot to make state most years. None of the other open jobs can say that.

SG has been open since March. What is more embarrassing being turned down by multiple people or having had the job open this long and not felt comfortable enough with the candidates to hire one. Either way it is taking too long. @pioneer42 made the point a few weeks ago that they are losing time in the gym. Pick someone and move on.

I dont know what Dyersburg team looks like moving forward. There are always good athletes in the system though. Pay is good. Make the right hire and they will be successful. I know they werent good last year but sometimes you just have down years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

South Gibson will have a coach soon.... and the name they hire could surprise you, would be a homerun hire!

2 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

Any hints?

If it is Sean Stephenson it will be a good hire. Only thing about him I don’t understand is he loves playing slow. 

4 hours ago, maddams said:

I'm curious.  With South Gibson taking this long, have they offered the job and been turned down by one or more coaches? Or have they just not found someone they're comfortable with?

I think Dyersburg is a good job based on history and pay scale, but the new coach has to get through some lean years in the immediate future.  They were down this year and graduated their best players.  The best player in the middle school program just moved to Riverdale with mom and dad.  

USJ has a long history of success but I'm not sure they are in a position to compete with Webb, Lakeway Christian, and a couple other private schools that are bringing in high level athletes on financial aid.  

I would rank the Bolivar job ahead of the Ripley job just based on their district/region alignments

I agree that USJ will have it tough competing east of the river, but they have some talent and I think it is a good job. Ayers will do well at Riverdale, IMO. He and his wife are gym rats and are disciplinarians. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 5/4/2021 at 11:05 AM, GrumpyBulldog said:

Riverdale expects deep state tourney runs, he's never been to one yet. Hope the Ayers are successful, but this is an interesting hire.

Ayers did a great job in Dyersburg. The problem they had was getting the girls in the gym and parent support. The coaches lived in the gym and some girls would be their daily others only when practice was called. I think with girls hungry for a championship and wanting to be in the gym they will do well at Riverdale. 

4 hours ago, maddams said:

Dyersburg does have some rebuilding to do, but if they use their big post player (upcoming sophomore) more along with their upcoming freshman guard they will be hard to compete against. Those two played together for some time and if they can have a good knowledge of the game. Post player is 6’1” and can move for a big girl. Guard can do it all and make plays. It will be interesting to see who will take over and will they use these 2 players to their advantage?

14 minutes ago, WhereYouAt said:

Are These jobs gonna be open at the end of the school? If schools don’t decide soon they will make it very difficult for a the next coach. They have already missed the entire spring off season and summer starts in less than 3 weeks. 

It's hard to believe that some of these programs have had vacancies since March. Maybe they don't value their programs or the work needed during the off-season.