Never too early....Who wins Class AA 2021-22

mas1821

2 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

Glad to see Alcoa and GP winning today and making the Final 4.  Alcoa will certainly be a force next year with no Seniors on this year's team.

Streamed the game and thought Amelia Pfeiffer carried the team early with scoring and "cleaning the boards." 

Westmoreland missed several free throws in the first half that really hurt.

Alcoa's guard play was not as expected, as #23 and #5 did not make a three. However, these girls along with Eden Davis came through in the 4th quarter. As I recall, there were over 4 minutes left when the coach decided to let the air out of the ball and play "4 corners". I didn't know how good of an idea that was, but the three girls handled the ball for all that time without a turnover and made nearly all of their free throws. So. Those girls showed they could win in a different way.

Both teams were evenly matched, but Alcoa getting a good lead early helped a great deal.

20 hours ago, Americal198 said:

Streamed the game and thought Amelia Pfeiffer carried the team early with scoring and "cleaning the boards." 

Westmoreland missed several free throws in the first half that really hurt.

Alcoa's guard play was not as expected, as #23 and #5 did not make a three. However, these girls along with Eden Davis came through in the 4th quarter. As I recall, there were over 4 minutes left when the coach decided to let the air out of the ball and play "4 corners". I didn't know how good of an idea that was, but the three girls handled the ball for all that time without a turnover and made nearly all of their free throws. So. Those girls showed they could win in a different way.

Both teams were evenly matched, but Alcoa getting a good lead early helped a great deal.

I said if Alcoa was hitting 3’s, they had a shot. If they played and hit like they did against McMinn Central, this could have been a blowout. Not to mention to layups they live off of they missed. 

18 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

I said if Alcoa was hitting 3’s, they had a shot. If they played and hit like they did against McMinn Central, this could have been a blowout. Not to mention to layups they live off of they missed. 

The important thing is they found a way to win.

Next game, they better be hitting their threes. Much depends on their inside game.

2 hours ago, logcabinman said:

This was my point, I think the east is better than some were  giving credit.  Looking forward to watching how this plays out. 

Teams from the East are underrated most years, at least on the boards and the media polls.

Got good chances to win in all 4 classes this year, assuming Cookeville area is considered East.   Bearden, Upperman, York, Alcoa, Gatlinburg, North Greene all with legitimate shots to win a gold ball

5 hours ago, logcabinman said:

Alcoa is very good and has a great inside presence. Hopefully we will be able to hang around and keep it close. Should be a good game. #WestviewNation

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Alcoa is very good and has a great inside presence. Hopefully we will be able to hang around and keep it close. Should be a good game. #WestviewNation

Watching Westview, yes, this should be a good game.  IMO, Westview looks really good to me.  Maybe the favorite to win it all.  Guess my point was just that GP and Alcoa were not getting a lot of love.  

12 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

Watching Westview, yes, this should be a good game.  IMO, Westview looks really good to me.  Maybe the favorite to win it all.  Guess my point was just that GP and Alcoa were not getting a lot of love.  

One thing I can say is this South Greene homer has much respect for the Alcoa team as a result of seeing them play. Once I see a team play a couple of times, I'm likely to grow fond of that team. Upperman's Lady Bees fall into that category.

After SG lost to Alcoa, I once again visited Gatlinburg-Pittman to watch them play Alcoa for the Region title. I did not know a soul but struck up a conversation with the father of one of the Alcoa players. It was good having someone to exchange ideas with.

Alcoa lost a tough game in a very loud and hostile setting but went on to beat a heavily favored team on the road in the sectionals in what likely was a similar atmosphere. You can't help but pull for a team like that.

Westview has a very good record and experience being in recent state tournaments. That would work in their favor more if they were playing Alcoa in a quarter final game. By now, Alcoa, and Westview, for that matter, should be devoid of any jitters. Neither of the two teams, if you look up the stats, shot very well in the quarter finals. I look for them both to be playing their best game today.

Good luck to both teams!

1 hour ago, Americal198 said:

One thing I can say is this South Greene homer has much respect for the Alcoa team as a result of seeing them play. Once I see a team play a couple of times, I'm likely to grow fond of that team. Upperman's Lady Bees fall into that category.

After SG lost to Alcoa, I once again visited Gatlinburg-Pittman to watch them play Alcoa for the Region title. I did not know a soul but struck up a conversation with the father of one of the Alcoa players. It was good having someone to exchange ideas with.

Alcoa lost a tough game in a very loud and hostile setting but went on to beat a heavily favored team on the road in the sectionals in what likely was a similar atmosphere. You can't help but pull for a team like that.

Westview has a very good record and experience being in recent state tournaments. That would work in their favor more if they were playing Alcoa in a quarter final game. By now, Alcoa, and Westview, for that matter, should be devoid of any jitters. Neither of the two teams, if you look up the stats, shot very well in the quarter finals. I look for them both to be playing their best game today.

Good luck to both teams!

I hope you’re right. The Arizona tournament against those powerhouses helped us this season too. I won’t be able to attend the game due to having to work early the next morning but I will be tuning in live on nfhs. 

40 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

Reason overlooked they usually lay an egg when get here but never know this year - good luck you may need it 

I have no stake in this game besides the fact that we were put out by Alcoa in the sub-state.  We beat Alcoa two times this year, once by 18 the other by 9.  They only made 1 three pointer last game and still come out on top.  If we could have held them to 1 three, we win by 18 again.  My point is this, if they are hitting the three, the big girls inside make up the difference on the boards.  Westview looks to be lenghty which will cause some trouble for Alcoa.  We turned them over a bunch, but for some reason took our press off the 4th qtr.  I honestly think will be a good game, but Westview seems to be the favorite, just because of the matchup.  I wouldn't be suprised though if Alcoa has a chance in the end to sneak this game.

• Like 1