new location for championship games

TNPaul

11 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Off topic; But, Lord willing, I will be passing through Blount Co. and Maryville Monday morning on my way to Ol’ Smokey for a few days. 

Sometimes we stay on the interstate through Knoxville and get off at Sevierville. But usually we jump off of 75 at Lenoir City and go through Maryville, Townsend, Wear’s Valley and into Pigeon Forge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Sometimes we stay on the interstate through Knoxville and get off at Sevierville. But usually we jump off of 75 at Lenoir City and go through Maryville, Townsend, Wear’s Valley and into Pigeon Forge. 

Yes. This will be that most senic route.  Hope you hav a great time and safe travels! :thumb:

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, chs1984 said:

So weird you brought this up. My wife and I just got our second vaccine shot and to mark the occasion we are going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for three days in April. I'll suggest to my wife we take this route from Chattanooga.

My wife is looking forward to shopping but I am more interested in eating out for the first time in over a year. I have already checked to see if any Oak Ridge teams are playing in that area but no luck.

Well, Happy Easter to all who celebrate the true Reason or the Bunny reason. Just keep peace in your hearts.

On 3/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, Red Rebels said:

Tennessee:

Lake County High to Finley Stadium 329 miles.

Whitehaven High to Finley Stadium 314 miles.

Elizabethton High to Finley Stadium 223 miles.

Georgia for comparison:

Camden Co. High to Georgia State 333 miles.

Valdosta High to Georgia State 226 miles.

Big difference in payouts: 1. every playoff game -->12% off top goes to GHSA / 50% to TSSAA,

2. Officials paid off top at GHSA / TSSAA pays out of their 50%, 3. Travel teams get $4 or 5 a mile to travel one way - GHSA / Tssaa lets travel team have  25% of gate, 4. GHSA - after expenses both teams split gate 50-50.

GHSA take 4 teams from each region and place them in 4 brackets across the state.  EVERY TEAM that travels, no mater 50 miles or 333 miles gets mileage money per mile one way.

Tell me who has the better deal.

Games played at Georgia State for a reason.  Mercedes-Benz Dome wanted $600,000+ for rent, all concessions, and all parking.

Edited by sheppy

12 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

So weird you brought this up. My wife and I just got our second vaccine shot and to mark the occasion we are going to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for three days in April. I'll suggest to my wife we take this route from Chattanooga.

My wife is looking forward to shopping but I am more interested in eating out for the first time in over a year. I have already checked to see if any Oak Ridge teams are playing in that area but no luck.

Well, Happy Easter to all who celebrate the true Reason or the Bunny reason. Just keep peace in your hearts.

It’s a good route. Good highways until you pass Heritage High leaving Maryville, then it gets a little hilly until you get to Townsend. Don’t speed through Townsend, I have two friends who got tickets there. Think I’m going straight through Knoxville in the morning, unless I change my mind. Have fun. 

5 hours ago, sheppy said:

Big difference in payouts: 1. every playoff game -->12% off top goes to GHSA / 50% to TSSAA,

2. Officials paid off top at GHSA / TSSAA pays out of their 50%, 3. Travel teams get $4 or 5 a mile to travel one way - GHSA / Tssaa lets travel team have  25% of gate, 4. GHSA - after expenses both teams split gate 50-50.

GHSA take 4 teams from each region and place them in 4 brackets across the state.  EVERY TEAM that travels, no mater 50 miles or 333 miles gets mileage money per mile one way.

Tell me who has the better deal.

Games played at Georgia State for a reason.  Mercedes-Benz Dome wanted $600,000 for rent, all concessions, and all parking.

All truth. The South Georgia teams oppose playing anything in Atlanta, but they no longer have the pull to get their way. Hard to tell if playing finals outside has hurt attendance because numbers skewed by Covid. When I was in Tennessee I always heard that you were better off financially playing on the road in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, chs1984 said:

All truth. The South Georgia teams oppose playing anything in Atlanta, but they no longer have the pull to get their way. Hard to tell if playing finals outside has hurt attendance because numbers skewed by Covid. When I was in Tennessee I always heard that you were better off financially playing on the road in the playoffs. 

They have been playing either semi's or finals in Atlanta for years.  In all regions there is only 1 team placed in each section of the state.  And basically the state is divided by I-75 and I-20.

You can actually have 2 teams from the same region playing for the state championship.

12 minutes ago, sheppy said:

They have been playing either semi's or finals in Atlanta for years.  In all regions there is only 1 team placed in each section of the state.  And basically the state is divided by I-75 and I-20.

You can actually have 2 teams from the same region playing for the state championship.

Yes. I live in Georgia. For years I attended the semifinals in the Georgia Dome whether my team was there or not. One year our team played a fellow region member in the semifinals. 1994 was the first year they played in the dome.