Week 4 - Powell @ Science Hill

osunut2

4 hours ago, HTV said:

Science Hill is a team that has a serious history of underachieving given the amount of talent in that school.  I've always been surprised that they haven't had more success than they have.  Frankly, the times I have seen them play they appear to be a very poorly coached team across the board.  

I have also been surprised at how many good athletes suit up for the HILL but their success on the field is abysmal for the most part.    As WaCoJaCo has so accurately noted, the game against DB is their super bowl, as long as they win that one they really don't seem to care about the others.

22 hours ago, osunut2 said:

You've still got 10 guys out there who have to hold up their end. And when offenses are literally running 90% of their plays away from him, someone else has to step up. They also don't look like a very well-coached unit of defense.

I actually felt like the Powell defense played better against Karns, for 3 quarters at least. It probably helped that the Karns QB wasn't much of a threat to run or throw.

#1 recruit in the nation should be able to cause more havoc on the line. especially going against the comp he does. 

32 minutes ago, JET4LIFE84 said:

#1 recruit in the nation should be able to cause more havoc on the line. especially going against the comp he does. 

Jet, I'm curious as to how much you've seen him play this year. I've watched all three of his games from start to finish, and the only criticism I have is that he's out of shape. He's routinely getting double and triple teamed, so I'm not sure what you want him to do. Plus, every team Powell has played is running 90% of their plays away from him, and rightly so; there have only been a few plays in each game where the opponent has run directly between the tackles. Even Maryville limited the number of times that they ran between the tackles. He has made some plays here and there (largely due to his quickness), but it doesn't look like Powell has anyone else in their front 7 that can take advantage of his presence, and the inexperienced Powell DC hasn't figured out how to adjust his scheme accordingly. The only obvious adjustment I've seen is that they move Walter around on the line to try and mess with their opponents blocking scheme, but that's been it.

To me, the most concerning thing is that with all of the attention Walter is getting, the linebackers should be able to make plays, and they just aren't. It's one thing when you're getting blocked by a lineman or tight end, but teams are focusing extra blockers on Nolen and they just haven't stepped up.

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JET4LIFE84 said:

He looks out of shape 

Don't think there is any question about that.  He didn't have a team to work out with all summer and apparently spent more time visiting schools than working out.  

But when all is said and done he'll be fine.  He has all of the measurables.  Once he gets in to a real S&C program it won't take him long to get there.  

53 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Jet, I'm curious as to how much you've seen him play this year. I've watched all three of his games from start to finish, and the only criticism I have is that he's out of shape. He's routinely getting double and triple teamed, so I'm not sure what you want him to do. Plus, every team Powell has played is running 90% of their plays away from him, and rightly so; there have only been a few plays in each game where the opponent has run directly between the tackles. Even Maryville limited the number of times that they ran between the tackles. He has made some plays here and there (largely due to his quickness), but it doesn't look like Powell has anyone else in their front 7 that can take advantage of his presence, and the inexperienced Powell DC hasn't figured out how to adjust his scheme accordingly. The only obvious adjustment I've seen is that they move Walter around on the line to try and mess with their opponents blocking scheme, but that's been it.

To me, the most concerning thing is that with all of the attention Walter is getting, the linebackers should be able to make plays, and they just aren't. It's one thing when you're getting blocked by a lineman or tight end, but teams are focusing extra blockers on Nolen and they just haven't stepped up.

This.  

4 minutes ago, HTV said:

Don't think there is any question about that.  He didn't have a team to work out with all summer and apparently spent more time visiting schools than working out.  

But when all is said and done he'll be fine.  He has all of the measurables.  Once he gets in to a real S&C program it won't take him long to get there.  

No question.  He's gonna be a great one.  Guys like him don't come along very often.  He can play.