Week 4 - Powell @ Science Hill

osunut2

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Jet, I'm curious as to how much you've seen him play this year. I've watched all three of his games from start to finish, and the only criticism I have is that he's out of shape. He's routinely getting double and triple teamed, so I'm not sure what you want him to do. Plus, every team Powell has played is running 90% of their plays away from him, and rightly so; there have only been a few plays in each game where the opponent has run directly between the tackles. Even Maryville limited the number of times that they ran between the tackles. He has made some plays here and there (largely due to his quickness), but it doesn't look like Powell has anyone else in their front 7 that can take advantage of his presence, and the inexperienced Powell DC hasn't figured out how to adjust his scheme accordingly. The only obvious adjustment I've seen is that they move Walter around on the line to try and mess with their opponents blocking scheme, but that's been it.

To me, the most concerning thing is that with all of the attention Walter is getting, the linebackers should be able to make plays, and they just aren't. It's one thing when you're getting blocked by a lineman or tight end, but teams are focusing extra blockers on Nolen and they just haven't stepped up.

Well my main complaint was that he was out of shape. We seem to agree on that. 

If he is getting double and triple teamed then someone should be freed up to make some plays

The elite D line players can run down plays away from them. Again his comp is not that great. 

Making some plays here and there is not what you usually here from the #1 recruit in the nation 

Edited by JET4LIFE84

2 hours ago, Knoxemdown said:

Against some very good competition (and an average team w a legit d1 talent) He already has 10 TFL.  That's pretty impressive honestly.

Very good competition for that area of TN but not for what some other top recruits go against. 

Maryville is the best comp but probably not even talent wise they are just a machine. 

3 minutes ago, JET4LIFE84 said:

If he is getting double and triple teamed then someone should be freed up to make some plays

The elite D line plays can run down plays away from them. Again his comp is not that great. 

Making some plays here and there is not what you usually here from the #1 recruit in the nation 

I also agree about his teammates, which is my biggest complaint about Powell this year. They've been freed up to make plays, and they just aren't. Some of that is also on the new DC.

Overall, I'm not sure what you are/were expecting to see. He's a nose tackle. That might be the least glamorous position on defense, especially in this "spread" era. He isn't supposed to cover sideline to sideline like an elite defensive end or rush end/OLB, especially if he's being tag teamed. His job is to clog the middle (or shoot the gap), disrupt plays between the tackles, and take on multiple blockers. He's doing exactly that when he's on the field.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I also agree about his teammates, which is my biggest complaint about Powell this year. They've been freed up to make plays, and they just aren't. Some of that is also on the new DC.

Overall, I'm not sure what you are/were expecting to see. He's a nose tackle. That might be the least glamorous position on defense, especially in this "spread" era. He isn't supposed to cover sideline to sideline like an elite defensive end or rush end/OLB, especially if he's being tag teamed. His job is to clog the middle (or shoot the gap), disrupt plays between the tackles, and take on multiple blockers. He's doing exactly that when he's on the field.

He definitely caused us to have to play a different game. And he tipped some crucial passes. So he makes a big difference when you have to work plays around him as I later figured out.

59 minutes ago, JET4LIFE84 said:

The elite D line players can run down plays away from them. Again his comp is not that great. 

He is making plays. His numbers are solid, especially considering that he's being double and triple teamed and the opposition is running away from him most of the time.  

And you'll get no argument on the fact that others should be making plays. 

But the reality is that Powell's LBs just aren't very good and aren't making the plays they should be making.  That's the primary issue with that defense. 

Nolen is the real deal. His recruiting resume is legit. 

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Tell that to Arron Donald lol 

40 minutes ago, JET4LIFE84 said:

Tell that to Arron Donald lol 

So you expect an 18 year old Nolen to play like a 30 year old 7 time all pro player?  

If you think that Maryville is only a "machine" then you need to look at the amount of D1 recruited talent they have on the field this year.  The kid who went up against Nolen is not chopped liver.  In fact he has D1A offers at this point and is on the verge of being Power 5 offered with the rest of his junior year and his senior year to play.  

SMH2.jpg

Edited by HTV

24 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Two completely different Body Types coming into College. Aaron Donald was 260lb in high school and ran like a LB with 4.6 speed.  Aaron Donald also wasn't a NT and played DT and DE in College because of that speed.

We were talking about the recognition of the position, not the body types. 

Also as previously stated Nolen has been moved to those positions as well

1 minute ago, HTV said:

So you expect an 18 year old Nolen to play like a 30 year old 7 time all pro player?  

SMH2.jpg

Some of ya'll can't read so good. lol We were talking about the glamour of the position not comparing the play of the two players and certainly not comparing a HS kid to maybe the best player in the league right now.  

3 minutes ago, JET4LIFE84 said:

Some of ya'll can't read so good. lol We were talking about the glamour of the position not comparing the play of the two players and certainly not comparing a HS kid to maybe the best player in the league right now.  

Nope.  Read just fine.  

You referenced Aaron Donald, not somebody else.  

Edited by HTV