H2O at Upperman

H2Oman

7 hours ago, RTD said:

Actually from 6th down TC's future is very bright. Go to the Watertown peewee game coming up and see how the future looks especially the young Harper boy coming up is going to be the best Harper that had come through TC.

Whoa now!!! Slow down with this comment. Don't put that evil on this kid just yet. Those are very large shoes to live up to and fill.

13 hours ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

You are right. TC is a football town. The whole town turns out for games and games at the Creekbank are intimidating to other teams. If you look at academic  scores you will see that in 2018, every school in the county was a reward school. Their scores are very good.  So academics are bright. We have more gold  than any surrounding schools. We have the most recent visit to the state championship of the 3 schools but got beaten . So we got a silver. 

In Smith County, there is lots of talk of consolidating the two high schools. I do not hear good things about the high school principal at gordy. We have gotten some transfers from gordy over the years with 2 on our team. I do know both the OC and DC of the football team are principals. Their field is nice. I do not know about academics.

Watertown has a new school and  field.  It is a good building but I liked the feel of their old field better. In the past they were like the stepchild of Wilson County high schools and never got new stuff. That has improved. I do not know about academics.

13 hours ago, H2Oman said:

Webster has been good for Watertown.. When he took over we had 5 coaches in roughly a 6 or 7 year span. He has been a consistent presence for H2O with all the changes we’ve had over the years and our community needed it.

I don’t always agree with some of the decisions he makes, but you can’t question his loyalty and how the kids respect him!

He has also been smart enough to bring in good coaches and let them do just that… coach the kids!

Again, I am almost certain I will question him sometime this year, but I can’t question his loyalty and how good he has been to Watertown!

PS: Hackett is great coach and will get his opportunity to be a head man one day when he is ready there is no doubt!

Its kind of interesting and very much appreciated to hear all this feed back.  How I see it, as laid out within all these responses, TC from its start has sold out to football.  After visiting this small town, I can picture a Friday Night Lights situation going on.  All the businesses closing with signs in the window "GAME DAY"  something like that.  

Not leaving out GV but skipping on to Watertown.  I read that WHS historically has been the "red headed step child" in Wilson County schools system.  Until here with in the last lets say 8-10 years.  Would allow me to believe they never felt supported even by their own system prior to.  If this is true then its hard to battle within your own circle, which leads to inconsistencies and lack of really alot to be successful with a program.  Sad, but society (communties) will always rally for winners and forget you when losing.  So, no excuses, I can pretty much draw my own conclusion to why TC has been so dominate.  Have to tip the hat to that TC history.

But, lets open another door by way of coaching.  I have football history.  Been successful but never a head coach at the highschool level, coordinator was my high watermark.  Under my three head coaches, two were successful and one was not.  It didnt matter who was who, when successful the head coaches got the praises, when down head coaches got the criticism.  In both insistances the head coach recieved the good and bad.  Very seldom laid upon the shoulders of a coordinator.

Sticking my neck out here I know, so sharpen as you may.  Its hard for me to see after breaking down team success rates over the past several years with all three of these programs TC, GV, WHS, that success was accomodated by talent.  Sure is easy to coach when surrounded by talent.  

Had the opportunity to speak with an "old timer" in TC several weeks ago.  Had an old faded "JACKETS" tshirt on.  Got to talking to him and when asked why no GOLD BALLS in the past several years, his response..."Talent just hasnt been right."  My mind gets to spinning a little.  So, accidently I pick up with Coacht.  I hear the back and forth at the start of the season.  WHS is has lost three players and they have anchored WHS for three years, then lean on one player before that (cant remember that kids name).  But it established that with out these "talents" WHS will be back to what I believe was said to be average at best team again, where they are supposed to be. 

This perks my interests even more so I visit GV and actually was somewhat impressed with this small town and how its laid out.  I talk with an obvious long time supporter of the program.  He tells me that this is the year for GV and if not for sure next year.  Makes a comment that it reminds him of the last state championship team, all the kids were successful at the Jr high level, stayed together and great TALENT.  

Just trying to make sense of it all.

Long post sorry in advance. 

If I may, I'm going to re-direct from a H2O-TC thread, back to a H2O-UHS thread, lol.  UHS's starting QB did not play a down in the second half last game.  Don't know his status for this game, but whether he plays or not would have an impact.  They can win with the backup, but maybe it won't come to that.

On a side note, I understand Fox News will be in town Thursday morning to interview participants from last week's post game prayer (there's currently a story about it on the front page of their website).  I don't think of this as too much of a distraction, just hope that Fox News presence doesn't bring out any type of protest or other happenings due to some "hurt feelings" from the people who started it and had it blow up in their face.

17 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

If I may, I'm going to re-direct from a H2O-TC thread, back to a H2O-UHS thread, lol.  UHS's starting QB did not play a down in the second half last game.  Don't know his status for this game, but whether he plays or not would have an impact.  They can win with the backup, but maybe it won't come to that.

On a side note, I understand Fox News will be in town Thursday morning to interview participants from last week's post game prayer (there's currently a story about it on the front page of their website).  I don't think of this as too much of a distraction, just hope that Fox News presence doesn't bring out any type of protest or other happenings due to some "hurt feelings" from the people who started it and had it blow up in their face.

I think I was the culprit getting everyone off the main topic.    My bad.  lol  

22 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

What happened? Why is this fox news worthy? 

26 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

You serious Clark? Wow.... people just wanna get upset over the smallest things.

Some group that no one has ever heard of reminded Putnam County Schools that coaches and staff could not participate in student prayer.  In response, there was a player led post game prayer.  I agree with you, that should be end of story.  However, that's not how things happen these days.  Someone posted a photo with a caption.  That got re-posted and eventually wound up with a Fox17 post and it went from there.  So it's basically just another social media "news story".