5A Playoff 2021

Rhea Co.

1 minute ago, Knoxemdown said:

I don't get it.  You're singing Cumming's praises, took him 8 seasons.  New coach has 3 or 4 seasons and you're bad mouthing him.

I'm a huge Lamar Brown fan and I think he and his staff do a great job. The Alcoa game regardless of the officiating was proof of that, they came out and hit them in the mouth. I think the Czar and a few others here are strictly in the Cummings camp. 

7 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

I don't get it.  You're singing Cumming's praises, took him 8 seasons.  New coach has 3 or 4 seasons and you're bad mouthing him.

early to mid 2000's 4A Region was a completely different ballgame than current region situation that West is currently in.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

I retired to Farragut in 2010 and watched a lot of West from there on. I loved their stingy style of defense but to me after Cummings's run it was a just add water program. More than a foundation had been laid. They were consistently whipping people. I've got respect for what they've done since Lamar got there but right now West is 14 points away from being 3-4. They've won some tight games over three teams that don't have the athletes the West zone has.

36 minutes ago, thefox said:

I retired to Farragut in 2010 and watched a lot of West from there on. I loved their stingy style of defense but to me after Cummings's run it was a just add water program. More than a foundation had been laid. They were consistently whipping people. I've got respect for what they've done since Lamar got there but right now West is 14 points away from being 3-4. They've won some tight games over three teams that don't have the athletes the West zone has.

You think the region was tougher then than now?  Let's look at the state finals since.  I think we'd see the 3/4 5a Regions are more competitive now if we're being truthful.

Maryville moved to 6a in 2009. In the list below I'll put when someone from Region 3 or 4 made the finals or where champion.

2009-  none (And remember Maryville moved to 6a this year)

2010-  none

2011-  Powell-Finalist

2012- None

2013- West -Finalist

2014- West champion

2015- Sevier County- Finalist

2016- Farragut- Champion

2017- Catholic- Champion

2018-  Central- Champion

2019 - Central- Champion

2020-  OR- Finalist

West didn't battle through powerhouses to win in 2014.  There was no dominant program after Maryville left.  Since West won in 2015  5/7 champions have come from the two knoxvile 5a regions.  It's clearly more competitive now.

Edited by Knoxemdown

10 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

You think the region was tougher then than now?  Let's look at the state finals since.  I think we'd see the 3/4 5a Regions are more competitive now if we're being truthful.

Maryville moved to 6a in 2009. In the list below I'll put when someone from Region 3 or 4 made the finals or where champion.

2009-  none (And remember Maryville moved to 6a this year)

2010-  none

2011-  Powell-Finalist

2012- None

2013- West -Finalist

2014- West champion

2015- Sevier County- Finalist

2016- Farragut- Champion

2017- Catholic- Champion

2018-  Central- Champion

2019 - Central- Champion

2020-  OR- Finalist

West didn't battle through powerhouses to win in 2014.  There was no dominant program after Maryville left.  Since West won in 2015  5/7 champions have come from the two knoxvile 5a regions.  It's clearly more competitive now.

One thing to point out, the system was a bit different prior to 2015. West was in the same district as Maryville, Farragut, and Catholic until then.

Edited by osunut2

15 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

One thing to point out, the system was a bit different prior to 2015. West was in the same district as Maryville, Farragut, and Catholic until then.

No. Maryville went 6a in 2009.  Farragut was 5a from 2014-2016  and went 6a again in 20017.  Catholic went Division II in 2019.

Edited by Knoxemdown

9 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

No. Maryville went 6a in 2009.  Farragut went 6a in 20017.  Catholic went Division II in 2019.

You are correct of when these schools went to the classifications but districts were made up of 5a/6a teams and split when play-off time came around during that span (The Z plan).  2011 West district was made up of Maryville, Farragut, Williams Blount, LC, Heritage, Catholic, and Bearden.  I coached in this conference during the time and LC being number #4 in the district went to the #1 seed and defending 5a State Champs in Columbia and beat them in round 1 beat Centennial the following week and was put out in the Quarter's by Mobley and Powell by 8 points 

Knox Catholic also bounced from 5a to 4a back to 5a before going completely private in 2019.

Edited by Swipes
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You are correct of when these schools went to the classifications but districts were made up of 5a/6a teams and split when play-off time came around during that span (The Z plan).  2011 West district was made up of Maryville, Farragut, Williams Blount, LC, Heritage, Catholic, and Bearden.  I coached in this conference during the time and LC being number #4 in the district went to the #1 seed and defending 5a State Champs in Columbia and beat them in round 1 beat Centennial the following week and was put out in the Quarter's by Mobley and Powell by 8 points 

I understand and do remember the z plan.  I didn't realize that's what he was referenceing.  I'd still argue that has very litle impact on the postseason though. 

6 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Knox Catholic also bounced from 5a to 4a back to 5a before going completely private in 2019.

I understand and do remember the z plan.  I didn't realize that's what he was referenceing.  I'd still argue that has very litle impact on the postseason though. 

8 minutes ago, Knoxemdown said:

My comment was to you replying No to osunut2 that Maryville, Farragut, and Catholic weren't in the same district as West when in fact they were since it was set up differently during that time frame.

• Upvote 1