5A Playoff 2021

Rhea Co.

9 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

I played for Springfield in 93, we were expecting to play Marion Co with Eric Westmoreland, but McMinn Central upset them in the semis, I remember it like yesterday...

I was there as a 11yrs old kid....freezing! Their for about a 4/5 yr span the Jackets had some ballers and very good teams. One game away from a return to the Clinic Bowl during that time. My wife was cousin to Jeremy Thaxton on that team.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

For those of you who think that consistently playing better competition makes you a better team, why is Boone not considered the front-runner in 5A?

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/boone-has-faced-states-toughest-football-schedule/article_04915d52-2525-11ec-94b0-43bd1b098108.html

Playing better competition does help a team in the long run, but you also need to win one or 2 of those close ones. 

1 hour ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Playing better competition does help a team in the long run, but you also need to win one or 2 of those close ones. 

Every season we play teams like Elizabethton, Greeneville, Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennett, etc..     and still choke in round 1 of the playoffs.           I am in the minority here because I am not convinced that playing stiff competition always makes you better, in a lot of cases it beats you down to the point you no longer try.

50 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Every season we play teams like Elizabethton, Greeneville, Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennett, etc..     and still choke in round 1 of the playoffs.           I am in the minority here because I am not convinced that playing stiff competition always makes you better, in a lot of cases it beats you down to the point you no longer try.

I agree with that point 100%.  You need to have a balance, tough games and winnable games to keep confidence up. Then with the confidence you can win the tougher games later on. 

Edited by Poundtherock23

32 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

Don't count Knox West as a contender. They'll choke in typical Lamar fashion around the 3rd/4th round. @HTV 

Is that being fair to West?  Just asking. What are the teams they choked against in the 3rd/4th round? My guess is Central both years the Bobcats won State. Maybe Catholic. Last year's State Runner-ups Oak Ridge.

I know you know this but do not forget the Knoxville area had many dominant teams lately.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Is that being fair to West?  Just asking. What are the teams they choked against in the 3rd/4th round? My guess is Central both years the Bobcats won State. Maybe Catholic. Last year's State Runner-ups Oak Ridge.

I know you know this but do not forget the Knoxville area had many dominant teams lately.

Im talking about Lamar. Can't get over the hump.

• Upvote 1