Haywood vs Covington!!!

Kruger77

Wow! Just reading through this thread shows that these teams and fanbases have a lot of mutual respect for one another. Probably the most love I've seen on a thread between two good teams with such history. I hope that this transitions to the game Friday night with good sportsmanship throughout the game. Win or lose, both these teams will go to the playoffs better prepared for a deep run. And as far as 4A goes, I'll be routing for the Tomcats in the playoffs. GO CHARGERS! Here's to an injury free game! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Wow! Just reading through this thread shows that these teams and fanbases have a lot of mutual respect for one another. Probably the most love I've seen on a thread between two good teams with such history. I hope that this transitions to the game Friday night with good sportsmanship throughout the game. Win or lose, both these teams will go to the playoffs better prepared for a deep run. And as far as 4A goes, I'll be routing for the Tomcats in the playoffs. GO CHARGERS! Here's to an injury free game! 

Coach Kirby and Coach Smith are pretty tight. They will coach hard and their players will play hard, but they will always show respect to each other. They are in the same boat where a lot of teams won't play them. I respect Covington. They play hard and play right. IMO, our Tomcats do the same.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Well, I think part of the respect is that we are “next door neighbors”. My first cousins grew up on the adjoining farm. However, because our driveways are on two different roads, they went to Haywood, and I went to high school in Covington. The couple who live up the road from me both drive school busses, and they are Haywood County busses. 

I can’t say that Covington has such friendly relations with other schools. Dyersburg, for instance, just seems to stir up some bad feelings in our fan base.

47 minutes ago, 00Chargers said:

Great post!  I always cheer for the Chargers when they aren't playing Haywood,  Like you, I hope it will be a clean injury free game.  

I would like to thank you for your support in the playoffs.  Covington will definitely have my support.  I would like to see both teams make it to Chattanooga and win.

1 hour ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

They didn’t have trouble moving the ball just couldn’t get in the end zone. That’s a tough D! 

I don't know if it was the weather, the Tomcat D, or a combination of both, but South Gibson did commit a number of costly penalties and mistakes.  That is something that is very uncharacteristic of a Stidham coached team.  The Hornets did make it into the red zone at least 3 times during the game.

Right or wrong, I'm going to say that their failure to score was all due to that tough Tomcat D!  Go Tomcats!

This is funny.  In the online edition of this week's Brownsville  Press, it states that JaKylon Taylor had 24 carries and 1267 rushing yards in the SGC game.  That would be an average of 53 yards per carry!  Of course we all know that's a misprint, but I still thought it was funny.

Edited by stacmot

3 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

That’s a lot of points, don’t know if they’ll be that many scored. What’s you take?

I've been trying to think as to what my take might be.  To be honest, I just don't know what to think.  I apologize for a no answer, but I believe it could go either way.  We could see a lot of points, or we could easily see a tough defensive battle.  No matter how many points are scored, I do see it being a close game.

From the outside looking in, I think Haywood gets a little payback from last year. Covington could very well win this game and it wouldn't shock me a bit. But I think Haywood's QB is the difference. He gives to tomcats the ability to stretch the field with those fantastic wrs on top of the dominating run game. Covington has some awesome dbs too though so it's not a gimme by any means. I think it'll be something like 35-28