Bearden open

HTV

11 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

It's going to work out Gawd! They are trying to get it right and as it was put to me, " someone the community will be happy with".

Hopefully the interview panel is tapped into the community and knows what that means. Would hate for my alma mater to get this one wrong. Seems like a turning point for the program, good or bad!

Most BHS Football players are going on their 5th week without working out. It sounds like this "panel" isn't going to be ready to make a hire until, at the very earliest, Monday 12/13, with school being out the 17th. These players will have gone 9 weeks without the opportunity for organized off-season workouts. You are CRAZY if you do not think this will impact next season. They will spend spring and summer just getting back what they lost sitting idle. Nick Saban himself couldn't win with soft, weak, out of shape players. "Getting it right" seems like they may be burying themselves alive just to prove they can handle a shovel. This decision should have been made already and the only ones suffering are the players.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, toughD said:

Most BHS Football players are going on their 5th week without working out. It sounds like this "panel" isn't going to be ready to make a hire until, at the very earliest, Monday 12/13, with school being out the 17th. These players will have gone 9 weeks without the opportunity for organized off-season workouts. You are CRAZY if you do not think this will impact next season. They will spend spring and summer just getting back what they lost sitting idle. Nick Saban himself couldn't win with soft, weak, out of shape players. "Getting it right" seems like they may be burying themselves alive just to prove they can handle a shovel. This decision should have been made already and the only ones suffering are the players.  

The ins and outs of a football program are not paramount here toughD it seems, based on previous posts, appeasing everyone in the "community" is the goal. many times in these hirings everything but the players are considered. people who don't realize football programs lift weights 11 months a year make the decisions and what you mentioned is the result. happened to us at Grainger in winter of '12. Frustrating for sure! 

15 hours ago, PostingGawd39 said:

The ins and outs of a football program are not paramount here toughD it seems, based on previous posts, appeasing everyone in the "community" is the goal. many times in these hirings everything but the players are considered. people who don't realize football programs lift weights 11 months a year make the decisions and what you mentioned is the result. happened to us at Grainger in winter of '12. Frustrating for sure! 

I know its important, but there's a lot more to consider here than just having someone available to run the weight room. It's getting the right person, and on that note, I don't no LEFTYKNOX, but if he has a source, he knows that some of the names mentioned throughout this 47 page forum didn't even apply until this past few days, thus 1st interviews still running through this weekend.

3 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

.....and I may have missed something but why aren't the assistant coaches running the weight program? They are still the assistant coaches until the new coach tells them they are no longer needed. Isn't that part of their coaching supplement responsibilities?

Why doesn’t your man on the inside get them banging weights? :roflol:

.....and I may have missed something but why aren't the assistant coaches running the weight program? They are still the assistant coaches until the new coach tells them they are no longer needed. Isn't that part of their coaching supplement responsibilities?

That's exactly what I was wondering?  Doesn't seem that hard to figure out.  

• Upvote 1

They are probably spending time getting their resumes and playbooks in order, as well as fielding interviews from other places. You know, since the forum made it clear that new coaches don't keep the "subpar" previous coaches on staff. I don't know you, or what you do for work, but imagine your boss leaves and you are told the new hire is going to let you go. How hard are you working from now until then? I suspect you likely start applying any/everywhere, and start formulating a loose plan for your future. The smart thing for this panel/committee or whatever to do would have been to name an interim coach during the search to ensure that financials, basic operations, and weight training were maintained. Yet another example of this administration muffing the punt. 

Edited by toughD
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, toughD said:

If they have to be told to workout, then maybe they shouldn't play football. In regards to losing time, programs are taking time off right now and coming back after the holiday break to heal, both physically and mentally. Or play basketball or get ready for baseball etc. 

4 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

That's exactly what I was wondering?  Doesn't seem that hard to figure out.  

The way I understand it is all Knox County schools have a designated strength coach if they hire one but she/he may or may not coach football. For example, Coach Holbrook at West does work with football so coordinating the strength training is easy. That may not be the case at Bearden. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyUtah said:

If they have to be told to workout, then maybe they shouldn't play football. In regards to losing time, programs are taking time off right now and coming back after the holiday break to heal, both physically and mentally. Or play basketball or get ready for baseball etc. 

"heal both physically and mentally" we aren't talking about the 101st Airborne here

• Like 1