Round 2 Waverly travels to East Nashville

Wavo2004

Just now, Anonymoustiger said:

I didn’t make the comment but if East beat the tigers then I would say Covington. I know nothing abt Covington nor dyersburg this year, but if we’re going off of history then I would say Covington for sure, and I know dyersburg beat them in the regular season in a tight ball game, I just don’t know if dyersburg could pull it off again, maybe they can, but it’s hard to beat a good team twice

I agree with you about beating a good team twice. I was at that game and Dburg was bigger and more physical. Covington had a slight edge in speed. Both of those teams looked really good. Should be a barn burner if they meet back up next week in rd 3. I just don’t know how they match up with the region 5 or 6 teams. 

2 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree with you about beating a good team twice. I was at that game and Dburg was bigger and more physical. Covington had a slight edge in speed. Both of those teams looked really good. Should be a barn burner if they meet back up next week in rd 3. I just don’t know how they match up with the region 5 or 6 teams. 

Would either of those 2 stand a real chance with Alcoa in your opinion?

14 hours ago, Trollin said:

Are those hogs conditioned for 4 quarters of fast paced football on both sides? Has East played anyone that plays as quickly as Waverly does? Or that has averaged 42 points a game? I get that East has played some good schools. But have they played anyone like Waverly? Big boys are great and all but can they last 4 quarters of fast paced scoring?Or will they tire out? 

I think this will be a high scoring game. I think Waverly’s coaching staff will do a great job of game planning and will find a way to get it done. I don’t think it will be easy though. Waverly will try to establish the run, if they can run the football, it’s just going to make passing that much easier. If the run game isn’t affective, which I think it will be, the passing game is enough to handle business. My concern is stopping East from scoring. Waverly simply needs to out score East and try and create turnovers or make stops when they count. I’m expecting this to be a tight game. 

none of the hogs to my knowledge go on both sides of the ball. 

33 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think it would be a bad matchup in the trenches for Covington. Dburg would stand a better chance in my opinion but neither would probably beat them. 

My thoughts exactly. I think Covington can beat Dyersburg, even though I believe Dyersburg is hitting on all cylinders and it will be a close game. However, you are right, if Covington somehow advances to the title game, I do not see it being close like in years past. We are one dimensional and Alcoa will exploit that similar to how Haywood did. Unless, we have an ace in the pocket (as Kirby sometimes does), we can't play with Alcoa and Dyersburg would probably match up better with them. I will say this, Kirby has been putting E. Flowers back there and fullback from time to time over the past 2 games and he is a bruiser that can hammer 5-10 yards a carry up the middle. He's the main reason we beat Haywood last year just pounding up the middle. I was wondering why I haven't seen him on offense all year, but maybe he's the ACE that Kirby intends on using deep in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Trollin said:

Field conditions to favor East? You act like other teams haven’t played in the rain or a wet sloppy field before. Their physical style of offense? Man. Some of y’all are in for a surprise. Waverly’s run game is super physical.  Have you seen film? Seen #44, #24, #20, #8 run the rock? Obviously not. 

I have no dog in this hunt, but the East field is in terrible shape. Like playing in the pasture after Bonnaroo.

I think what will hurt Waverly the most is if East makes it to the second level of our defense. If it happens they are taking it the house. We are going to have to match them score for score. This will be a high scoring game for East and Waverly will have to score bunches. Their speed is what worries me the most. Im not worried about size. Waverly is an outstanding small town ball team. When you are playing teams like East Nashville there is a huge difference between the two. Just imagine if Pearl didn’t move up! That’s who we would be playing right now. My Tigers will fight I just don’t know if we have enough fire power to beat them. It’s going to take a great game plan to do so and even if we do have a great game plan the question is do we have enough athletes to execute it?