Science Hill Football Changes - time has come

Rbel4life

1 hour ago, 6one5 said:

Tn used to get that easily for title games back in the day and even big playoff games. For a variety of reasons such as more schools, different zones, more classes, pub/private split, that is not possible today, especially with the location of the title game in a non central location. 

File that under stuff everybody already knows. Doesnt matter where you put the title game, it's not going to influence attendance to that degree

1 hour ago, 6one5 said:

Most people in TN don't understand this my man. The days of coaches making 40-50k and still expecting to teach classes and having an elite football program are over, and until the state catches up, we will be behind other states in the aspect of football on the national level

The objective is to win a state championship, the rest is just icing on the cake

Ole Stacy had talent at Sully South and left after the 2009 season. The talent dropped off a bunch for years after the 2010 bunch graduated, and ole Stac saw it coming. Not a great coach, unless you consider whining and crying good coaching. Dude has a ton of raw talent at Science Hill. We always heard, just wait until he gets all the talent that walks the halls onto the field. Well, he’s had 12 years, with his hand picked coaching staff of buddies. Accept it, he’s completely dependent on the talent, and there aren’t any Curt Phillips in JC to carry the program. I do think the kids in JC are soft.  The Toppers should just be better. Worst fan base in all of East Tennessee.  

4 hours ago, 6one5 said:

Most people in TN don't understand this my man. The days of coaches making 40-50k and still expecting to teach classes and having an elite football program are over, and until the state catches up, we will be behind other states in the aspect of football on the national level

I agree with you but I will add that there are a lot of people that are jealous of a coach making $100+k and especially $150+k.  They would rather lose than pay what it truly cost to be successful.  

3 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

The objective is to win a state championship, the rest is just icing on the cake

The attitude of just wanting (hoping) to win a state championship is why Tennessee is behind the 8 ball with regards to high school football.  Why not take the attitude that if someone wants to crown a national champion in high school football you want to be crowned the NATIONAL CHAMPION?  

52 minutes ago, cbg said:

The attitude of just wanting (hoping) to win a state championship is why Tennessee is behind the 8 ball with regards to high school football.  Why not take the attitude that if someone wants to crown a national champion in high school football you want to be crowned the NATIONAL CHAMPION?  

Because a state championship is won on the field. I couldn't care less what Oakland's national ranking is, it's all window dressing. I'm sure Maryville feels the same way when the season doesn't end raising a gold ball

On 11/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, blazer1set said:

Science Hill has always had the athletes, they just can't seem to put together a winning combination.

Pretty good article in the Johnson City Press entitled "Where were the fans?" (link below).      Science Hill is the 4th biggest school in the state and there were only 600 fans at their game with Farragut.    Clearly community support is not there for the Toppers, and although I can't stand SH as a team those kids deserve way better than what their fan base is giving them.      Does all that go back to Carter?     That I'm not sure, but it sure wouldn't hurt if the fans could get behind their team.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/where-were-the-fans/article_e9e3ff2a-3f35-11ec-9567-0b42832c80d3.html

It's not just a Science Hill problem. It's a high school football in general problem. What type of crowd would D-B have w/o band families? It'd still be more than Science Hill, but it would be a noticeable drop. Right now, I hear the West Ridge crowds have been good, but it's a new thing and they've had a successful year that's been beyond expectations. Seems like most of the better crowds come from the smaller communities, or extremely successful programs like Murville. Here in South Florida, there are some really big schools that rarely draw more than 500 or so. Locally, Treasure Coast high school has an enrollment of nearly 3K and ranked in the top 5 of Class 8A, but some home games they'll be lucky to have 300-500 people. I think in general, a lot of old timers like me who used to come out and support the schools are either dead or just unable to make it out, and the "younger" crowd really doesn't care unless they have kids in school who are playing. 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, cbg said:

What is Science HIll willing to pay for a top coach?  FYI the top D2 coaches in Tennessee are in the $150,000 range as are the top public school coaches in Texas.  In Texas most of the head coaches along with the OC and DC do not have to teach a truly academic subject.  They may teach 2 periods of strength & conditioning or drivers education but nothing that requires a great deal of preparation. If SH really wants to win they must pay for a great coaching staff.  

I am just going to reply to this comment since you bring up salary.  Anyone who wants to take time and has a phone and a web browser can find out.

salary schedules are listed on almost every single website for school districts.  It takes a little more to find out stipends for coaches.  For example, I saw a teacher with 20 years experience and a masters degree is getting paid 69,637 in Johnson City.  Coaching stipend for football in Bristol TN for HC (still looking for Johnson City schools) is 9025 two years ago.  I think it would be a safe guess HC pay in Johnson city is between 10-15k, I’m betting only 10k max.  If you really want to know, call a central office cause hey, you can’t find an exact teachers pay, but they can show you their salary plans in the county.  Public information.

there is not a school system that is going to outright play 100-150k for someone just to coach.  Not happening.  It’ll be expected to find someone with a teaching degree.  Even if we are talking about a scenario where someone is getting paid by boosters, once again that information is audited yearly by the Johnson city commission and can be checked on if people did digging.  I don’t see any county or city commission signing off that a booster club can pay that much around here.  

so that leaves funds from the central office, funded by tax payers in Washington and Johnson city limits.  Put it up for a vote, would people want their taxes raised (using your numbers) on 150k for an HC and 90K  x 2 for coordinators, plus who knows what for I’m guessing another 9-10 assistants?  You want good coaches right?  Better fork over at least 50k for assistants.  What are we talking, a million a year in tax dollars to pay football coaches in upper east TN?

ain’t happening, and if it is happening at the public school level anywhere in the state of Tennessee, I’d love for you to show me.  If it should happen, I’d love to see people in Johnson City push for funding based on hiring coaches with big pay.  It isn’t happening up here.  Not at SH, not at DB.

I really don't have a dog in this,but I have friends that have kids that play for Carter,or they used to play,some of the things that i don't understand about his coaching style is he doesn't try and develop younger players,having 32 seniors is unreal,some of those boys will still only see the field in Jr varsity action,which in turn takes away from developing younger kids.He wins the games he's supposed to win but hardly ever gets out of the 2nd round,so what if Maryville is waiting in the 3rd round don't shy away from competition.As far as no fans showing up,field a more competitive hardnosed team that lays it all out on the line.SH should be killing teams with all the kids they have.

As a few have said,he is winning games that SH wasn't able to for the 20 years or so before { DB mainly }. I guess as the saying goes,you don't have to be the fastest but just able to outrun the other guy { DB } when the bear comes running.Problem is always after the bear { Maryville } get's one,he will get the other if they are still around in the playoffs.