Haywood vs South Gibson round 3!

Kruger77

Haywood won an impressive 28-0 victory over SGC on October 15.  As the old saying goes, It's hard to beat a good team twice.  There's no doubt that that statement proves to be true quite a bit of the time.  In fact, North Side found it to be true as South Gibson avenged a regular season loss to the Indians in the 2nd round.    

On the flip side, If you're good enough to beat a team once, you're good enough to beat that team twice.  Haywood proved that to be true against Melrose, so I'm hoping the Cats will prove it to be true against South Gibson as well.  The Tomcats have got to stay focused, disciplined. and give it all they've got. As the Cats like to say, "All gas, no brakes!" 

Fun facts:

This will be Haywood's 11th appearance in the quarterfinals.  South Gibson made their 1st quarterfinal appearance last year.

Haywood is looking to make it's 5th straight trip to the semifinals.  South Gibson is hoping to advance to the semifinals for the first time.

The Hornets are one of the few teams in rural West Tennessee to hold a series lead  over the Tomcats. South Gibson leads the series 3-2.   Obviously, Haywood would like to tie the series at 3-3.

Haywood is averaging 43 ppg while allowing 8 ppg.
South Gibson is averaging 27 ppg while allowing 21 ppg.

The winner of this game will have to travel to Pearl-Cohn or Tullahoma.  (No matter which one, it will be a tough road trip.)

Common opponents during the 2021 season:

Crockett Co.
Haywood 48, Crockett Co. 14
South Gibson 45, Crockett Co. 28

Lexington
Haywood 16, Lexington 0
South Gibson 24, Lexington 21

Milan
Haywood 40, Milan 7
South Gibson 44, Milan 41

North Side
Haywood 56, North Side 18
South Gibson 27, North Side 30 (regular season)
South Gibson 42 , North Side 13  (playoffs)

Obion Central
Haywood 48, Obion Central 12
South Gibson 45 , Obion Central 20                  

Go Tomcats!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, stacmot said:

Go Tomcats!  You can do it!  What's your take on this contest @ManOfMillions?

I would have writers cramp if said everything that I thought about this contest. I believe that Haywood has the best team in all of west TN. This could be debated, but week in and week out I think Haywood has proven through their body of work that they are the clear number 1. Anyone that can not see what I am talking about is either ignorant, or blind. Haywood really has something special going for itself in Brownsville. I love the coaches, and the atmosphere there. 

With that being said, I am really proud of the boys in Orange. These kids have simply balled out all year long. I was on the sideline last night at the game against north side and the boys in orange were just killing it. Max effort, hitting hard, and playing smart. North side played hard as well, but SGC out gunned them on almost every single snap. This current SGC team sure does have a swag about them. 

In regards to the original question about this contest I think we will need to play a perfect game and the Tomcats are going to have to make some mistakes that we capitalize on in order to be victorious. I do not believe this game is going to be just another blowout. Haywood is surely favored to win, but I would not count out the boys in orange, they can be quite stingy. 

Also, I really appreciate the fine posters from Haywood, y'all are some good people that I have a lot of respect for. 

In closing, the team that scores the most points will win this contest! HA! Let's have clean, injury free game this coming Friday. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

I would have writers cramp if said everything that I thought about this contest. I believe that Haywood has the best team in all of west TN. This could be debated, but week in and week out I think Haywood has proven through their body of work that they are the clear number 1. Anyone that can not see what I am talking about is either ignorant, or blind. Haywood really has something special going for itself in Brownsville. I love the coaches, and the atmosphere there. 

With that being said, I am really proud of the boys in Orange. These kids have simply balled out all year long. I was on the sideline last night at the game against north side and the boys in orange were just killing it. Max effort, hitting hard, and playing smart. North side played hard as well, but SGC out gunned them on almost every single snap. This current SGC team sure does have a swag about them. 

In regards to the original question about this contest I think we will need to play a perfect game and the Tomcats are going to have to make some mistakes that we capitalize on in order to be victorious. I do not believe this game is going to be just another blowout. Haywood is surely favored to win, but I would not count out the boys in orange, they can be quite stingy. 

Also, I really appreciate the fine posters from Haywood, y'all are some good people that I have a lot of respect for. 

In closing, the team that scores the most points will win this contest! HA! Let's have clean, injury free game this coming Friday. 

I’ll say it over and over again South Gibson continues to impress me. Y’all straight up dismantled Northside last week! It’s going to be a great game, we will have to play our best ball at home this week!

I respect both teams. I respect SGC for the way they began from nothing and have become a football power in a few years. I respect Haywood for their long-standing football tradition, and in particular for their current talent and skill level. 

Having said that, I’m pulling for Haywood to go all the way and bring home a Gold Ball this year. Haywood County has won the Ford Megasite this year, and I believe that my good neighbors will also shock the state with a 4A title this season.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thanks for your comments ManofMillions.   

I have the utmost respect for South Gibson.  The Hornets are loaded with talent, and Coach Stidham is an outstanding coach.   Stidham always puts together an excellent game plan, and he knows how to get the best out of his players.  His SGC teams are some of  the most disciplined teams I've ever seen.

In addition to discipline, one of the things that impresses me most about the men in orange is their never give up attitude. The Hornets give it their all on every play and they fight to the final horn.   It's hard to beat a team that never gives up.  And, It's also hard to beat a good team (like SGC) twice in one season!

Of course, I'll be cheering for the Tomcats Friday night.  But if SGC wins, I'll be cheering for the Hornets in their quest for a state championship.  (I'll be cheering for the other West Tennessee teams too.)

I enjoy reading your posts, but I'm curious.  Are you the only poster from SGC on the T?  I don't recall reading any posts from anyone else who I thought might be a Hornet fan this season.

I'll be praying for clean, injury free games for all quarterfinal teams, and for safe travels for all teams and fans.  Good luck to all!

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stacmot said:

Thanks for your comments ManofMillions.   

I have the utmost respect for South Gibson.  The Hornets are loaded with talent, and Coach Stidham is an outstanding coach.   Stidham always puts together an excellent game plan, and he knows how to get the best out of his players.  His SGC teams are some of  the most disciplined teams I've ever seen.

In addition to discipline, one of the things that impresses me most about the men in orange is their never give up attitude. The Hornets give it their all on every play and they fight to the final horn.   It's hard to beat a team that never gives up.  And, It's also hard to beat a good team (like SGC) twice in one season!

Of course, I'll be cheering for the Tomcats Friday night.  But if SGC wins, I'll be cheering for the Hornets in their quest for a state championship.  (I'll be cheering for the other West Tennessee teams too.)

I enjoy reading your posts, but I'm curious.  Are you the only poster from SGC on the T?  I don't recall reading any posts from anyone else who I thought might be a Hornet fan this season.

I'll be praying for clean, injury free games for all quarterfinal teams, and for safe travels for all teams and fans.  Good luck to all!

Thanks for your kind words sir. I agree with everything you stated. There have been a few other posters on the T from time to time that are hornet fans. They have all kind of faded away over the years. We had a couple of " hornet supporters " that made an account just to troll Milan a few years ago when they were under investigation from the TSSAA for recruiting violations. When the TSSAA made its ruling they disappeared into the night. I personally do not believe they were part of us I think they were probably a mad Milan parent, or someone that just wanted to stir the pot. I have name for them I will not share here!