Sequoyah Football

Sandman63

On 12/4/2021 at 10:06 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

The same goes with Jefferson County,William Blount, Carter and Pigeon Forge and he was the one that got the ball a rolling at Alcoa.

Wrong. He had incredible talent on that 2000 team. And even better in 2001. He let the 2001 team become so undisciplined they lost a playoff game with personal fouls and gave the game to Goodpasture. Meadows wanted to return to Alcoa after a brief GA position at UT. Alcoa said no.

Coach John Reid got the ball rolling.  He brought Coach Nix in and taught him the importance of Strength and Conditioning.  Something Coach Nix has taught since. Bringing in Coach Gamble was another key piece.  Reid inherented a 3-7 team and in year two won a state Championship. Alcoa won 7 straight Championships starting with Reid's 2004 team.

1 hour ago, BCsportsfan said:

Wrong. He had incredible talent on that 2000 team. And even better in 2001. He let the 2001 team become so undisciplined they lost a playoff game with personal fouls and gave the game to Goodpasture. Meadows wanted to return to Alcoa after a brief GA position at UT. Alcoa said no.

Coach John Reid got the ball rolling.  He brought Coach Nix in and taught him the importance of Strength and Conditioning.  Something Coach Nix has taught since. Bringing in Coach Gamble was another key piece.  Reid inherented a 3-7 team and in year two won a state Championship. Alcoa won 7 straight Championships starting with Reid's 2004 team.

Coach Reid is one of what I assume are very few coaches to win back to back state titles in 2 different states. He also did it in Rome, Ga. Rush Propst (Hoover, Al., Colquitt Co. Ga.) is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head. 

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Alcoa went 6-6 in 99  and Meadows went 15-0 in 2000. 2001 Alcoa went 12-2 losing to Maryville and to Goodpasture 17-13 who won the state the following week 14-0. 27-2 isn't a shabby record considering you lose your 13 year old son to cancer during that awful 2001 season. Him and his wife we're going through a breakdown most of us have not experienced or want to. They were grabbing at branches falling out of a tree over what had just happened to their son. He took that UT job to get away and realized it was a big mistake because the time away from home during a period like that wasn't good. I do know they needed time away from this town after what had happened and going up to Jeff County was the best thing possible. You may hold a grudge because he didn't win one of those plastic trophies in 2001 but there was a lot more on his shoulders that season than you ever know. The man has done well at every program he has been to except Catholic where someone with a pocket full of money won't leave a coach a long to do his thing. You don't go from 6-6 to 15-0 because your lucky. Just like the 88 team which is what I call loaded lost the state and went back and got it the next year. Punky Dalton took over in 2002 and went 3-7, how did that happen overnight if Meadows wasn't a good coach. He's the last coach to win at Jeff County ,Sequoyah, William Blount and Pigeon Forge the last time I looked.

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Alcoa went 6-6 in 99  and Meadows went 15-0 in 2000. 2001 Alcoa went 12-2 losing to Maryville and to Goodpasture 17-13 who won the state the following week 14-0. 27-2 isn't a shabby record considering you lose your 13 year old son to cancer during that awful 2001 season. Him and his wife we're going through a breakdown most of us have not experienced or want to. They were grabbing at branches falling out of a tree over what had just happened to their son. He took that UT job to get away and realized it was a big mistake because the time away from home during a period like that wasn't good. I do know they needed time away from this town after what had happened and going up to Jeff County was the best thing possible. You may hold a grudge because he didn't win one of those plastic trophies in 2001 but there was a lot more on his shoulders that season than you ever know. The man has done well at every program he has been to except Catholic where someone with a pocket full of money won't leave a coach a long to do his thing. You don't go from 6-6 to 15-0 because your lucky. Just like the 88 team which is what I call loaded lost the state and went back and got it the next year. Punky Dalton took over in 2002 and went 3-7, how did that happen overnight if Meadows wasn't a good coach. He's the last coach to win at Jeff County ,Sequoyah, William Blount and Pigeon Forge the last time I looked.

Meadows left the team in spring 2002...and you and murvul peps referred to Alcoa at that time as a bunch of thugs under Meadows. And they acted the part. He left for UT, only to Force Alcoa to get a coach out of retirement last minute. With Dalton, the better players walked the hall never played. Reid came in and made them believe. He took a very talented freshman team and made them buy in. They transformed against Oliver Springs in playoffs 2003, lost to one of the most talented Lipscomb teams the next week. They circled that loss and beat Lipscomb on their own field the following year. Meadows could not carry Reid or Rankins playbook. Fact. If you want to warship 'ol suitcase" have at it. 

Edited by BCsportsfan

34 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Meadows left the team in spring 2002...and you and murvul peps referred to Alcoa at that time as a bunch of thugs under Meadows. And they acted the part. He left for UT, only to Force Alcoa to get a coach out of retirement last minute. With Dalton, the better players walked the hall never played. Reid came in and made them believe. He took a very talented freshman team and made them buy in. They transformed against Oliver Springs in playoffs 2003, lost to one of the most talented Lipscomb teams the next week. They circled that loss and beat Lipscomb on their own field the following year. Meadows could not carry Reid or Rankins playbook. Fact. If you want to warship 'ol suitcase" have at it. 

:thumb:

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

I've not said one thing about Reid or Rankin comparing them to Meadows. I know for a fact Meadows interviewed with Fulmer the following Monday after the Florida win December 1, 2001. He gave Alcoa notice January 4th 2002 not the spring so you might want to Google that before spreading any more bull crap. Alcoa had plenty of time to find a coach. He really didn't want to coach that 2001 season but stayed anyway and paid dearly over their abusive fans like you looking to blame someone for not winning it all even while going through something horrible as losing your kid to cancer during that ordeal. This treatment of coaches continues to this day at Alcoa with everyone on the band wagon to push Rankin out and Nix in like a coup attempt. Using Catholic as a barging chip to get Alcoa officials off their butts and force Rankin into something he don't want is a prime example of how you get done there. I've got an ole saying what comes around goes around. I seen Maryville do the same thing, afraid we'll lose the new kid on the block so let's run the old goat off because he won't be here much longer anyway and he goes somewhere else and outlast the new kid. History loves to repeat itself while people that have seen it with their own eyes try to tell people with deaf ears.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

May have wanted someone that has been a head coach before possibly. Sounds like both Lenior City and Sequoyah got some decent coaches young enough to withstand all the crap both of those jobs have had to deal with over the years, hope both the best in straightening those messes out.

No doubt

7 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I've not said one thing about Reid or Rankin comparing them to Meadows. I know for a fact Meadows interviewed with Fulmer the following Monday after the Florida win December 1, 2001. He gave Alcoa notice January 4th 2002 not the spring so you might want to Google that before spreading any more bull crap. Alcoa had plenty of time to find a coach. He really didn't want to coach that 2001 season but stayed anyway and paid dearly over their abusive fans like you looking to blame someone for not winning it all even while going through something horrible as losing your kid to cancer during that ordeal. This treatment of coaches continues to this day at Alcoa with everyone on the band wagon to push Rankin out and Nix in like a coup attempt. Using Catholic as a barging chip to get Alcoa officials off their butts and force Rankin into something he don't want is a prime example of how you get done there. I've got an ole saying what comes around goes around. I seen Maryville do the same thing, afraid we'll lose the new kid on the block so let's run the old goat off because he won't be here much longer anyway and he goes somewhere else and outlast the new kid. History loves to repeat itself while people that have seen it with their own eyes try to tell people with deaf ears.

You stated Meadows got the ball rolling......your wrong and an idiot. You have no clue about Rankin and his future.  You spew rumors like they are fact. Typically keyboard idiot!:thumb:

5 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

You stated Meadows got the ball rolling......your wrong and an idiot. You have no clue about Rankin and his future.  You spew rumors like they are fact. Typically keyboard idiot!:thumb:

6-6 in1999 under Phillip Ironside, 15-0 in 2000 under Scott Meadows. Looks to me the ball started rolling during one of those seasons. They must have started teaching that funny math when you were in school if you are having a hard time figuring that out. If you hate Meadows so bad quit claiming the 2000 Championship and throw that trophy in the dumpster. I bet my life Sequoyah, Jeff County, and William Blount fans would love to have him back.

16 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

2005 Alcoa High School Football Highlights - YouTube

................here's who got it rolling! :thumb:

You must be a real Nuchal Head. The only thing John Reid got rolling was a three game losing streak to Maryville to add to the one from the year before he came which he helped make it four in a row. You get on here and foolishly say Scott Meadows left Alcoa in the spring and there was no time to find a coach so they had to put Punky back in charge which in fact Scott left on the 5th of January.  John Reid was down in Georgia getting his picture in the paper on Feb. 28th accepting a job at East Paulding in Dallas, Georgia while he hadn't even resigned at Alcoa yet leaving the fans finding about it on Coach T on March 1st. Even the Alcoa Superintendent hadn't received word from Read as of March the 1st. I'm very sorry but Meadows chapter at Alcoa in the end had more to do with a loss of a young son and maybe he should have stepped away after that happened and took some time away from coaching as to be bashed by folks that had no idea what had happened. John Reid is no doubt a great coach but his stay at any place has been no longer than Scott Meadows. Scott didn't leave Alcoa leaving them in the spring or holding the bag, it was Reid. It all worked out in the end anyway getting Gary Rankin and yes I hope he stays to get that 500th win and do it at Alcoa.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

You must be a real Nuchal Head. The only thing John Reid got rolling was a three game losing streak to Maryville to add to the one from the year before he came which he helped make it four in a row. You get on here and foolishly say Scott Meadows left Alcoa in the spring and there was no time to find a coach so they had to put Punky back in charge which in fact Scott left on the 5th of January.  John Reid was down in Georgia getting his picture in the paper on Feb. 28th accepting a job at East Paulding in Dallas, Georgia while he hadn't even resigned at Alcoa yet leaving the fans finding about it on Coach T on March 1st. Even the Alcoa Superintendent hadn't received word from Read as of March the 1st. I'm very sorry but Meadows chapter at Alcoa in the end had more to do with a loss of a young son and maybe he should have stepped away after that happened and took some time away from coaching as to be bashed by folks that had no idea what had happened. John Reid is no doubt a great coach but his stay at any place has been no longer than Scott Meadows. Scott didn't leave Alcoa leaving them in the spring or holding the bag, it was Reid. It all worked out in the end anyway getting Gary Rankin and yes I hope he stays to get that 500th win and do it at Alcoa.

I find it funny you search through google, programs,  newspapers and various articles to tell ME something I lived! You "think" you know the real feel and emotions of the Alcoa Community.....but you don't have a clue. Know this...........when the game announcer stated Oakland had beat murvul,  the place cheered louder than anytime in the game. I and the other GOONS high fived each other! I've watched Alcoa for only 33 years. When I started, I did not have the hatred for Murvul.  But, as time as gone on, I've been educated and seen first hand why they hate anything to do with that program. 

I'm done arguing with an idiot. Spent way too much time. You want to believe Meadows is great...then so be it. I know different..and I know why Alcoa DID NOT want him back. You can pretend you know...but we know your nothing but a murvul homer with motivates.

Edited by BCsportsfan