Jump to content

Webb School


Tennesseepicks
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Tennesseepicks said:

I noticed they only got beat by 3 vs Ensworth. 

We played them both. We beat Ensworth by 15 this summer and they said real quick that 2 of their best players were out and we played Webb three weeks ago and lost by 15. They have a 6 ‘ 7 D 1 post and D 1 players from all over the world so not saying they can’t be beat but they will be better than all teams on paper. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

We played them both. We beat Ensworth by 15 this summer and they said real quick that 2 of their best players were out and we played Webb three weeks ago and lost by 15. They have a 6 ‘ 7 D 1 post and D 1 players from all over the world so not saying they can’t be beat but they will be better than all teams on paper. 

I figured TCA might have a run at another championship this year or next but now it looks whole lot harder. Webb looked good last year but very beatable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Indian said:

“Technically” it’s not allowed even in Division II. :roll:

 Webb is a boarding school so in all honesty the lines are a little more blurred when it comes to recruiting than if they were just a private day school.  The key piece to the puzzle and the recent success at Webb is Ken Cheeseman (Head of School) who has been around boarding schools most of his life.  Ken is also a former college athlete at the University Of Virginia so he understands that strong athletics makes for a much better boarding school life.  Just look no further than Baylor who won’t a state championship in baseball last season and the rumor is that they  only hand three players from Tennessee on the roster.  When carefully examining TSSAA D2 athletics just look at the facilities, economic resources, coaching staffs, academics, academic support staff, etc… and it’s  no wonder that families want their children in those environments.  Right or wrong athletics in the TSSAA D2 schools is  very similar to small college athletics.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Tennesseepicks said:

I figured TCA might have a run at another championship this year or next but now it looks whole lot harder. Webb looked good last year but very beatable.

This year's Webb team is MUCH better than last year. 

Last year it was all about the point guard, and she was definitely good. This year they are huge AND have ball handlers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tennesseepicks said:

I figured TCA might have a run at another championship this year or next but now it looks whole lot harder. Webb looked good last year but very beatable.

I seen them play this summer at MTSU and they were more beatable. They added 5 or 6 new D 1 players since then. They have great players sitting. I think they have housing at the school and they get them all over. They are the best team in the state of TN, IMO including Ensworth. The 6 ‘ 7 post really hurt us when we played them. Couldn’t rebound over her. They have two twins that are lightning fast and another guard that is committed to Maryland that are phenomenal basketball players. We had just got through playing Oakland before we played them so we definitely had our hands full. It is an AAU All American team for sure.

Edited by pioneer42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cbg said:

 Webb is a boarding school so in all honesty the lines are a little more blurred when it comes to recruiting than if they were just a private day school.  The key piece to the puzzle and the recent success at Webb is Ken Cheeseman (Head of School) who has been around boarding schools most of his life.  Ken is also a former college athlete at the University Of Virginia so he understands that strong athletics makes for a much better boarding school life.  Just look no further than Baylor who won’t a state championship in baseball last season and the rumor is that they  only hand three players from Tennessee on the roster.  When carefully examining TSSAA D2 athletics just look at the facilities, economic resources, coaching staffs, academics, academic support staff, etc… and it’s  no wonder that families want their children in those environments.  Right or wrong athletics in the TSSAA D2 schools is  very similar to small college athletics.  

If the parents want to send them there, fine..no school at the high school level should be actively acquiring talent, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Indian said:

If the parents want to send them there, fine..no school at the high school level should be actively acquiring talent, though. 

I agree with you about “actively acquiring talent”

The issue is that the larger D2 schools have such great facilities and economic resources that the schools in large part have the parents reaching out to them.  As an example about two years ago Montgomery Bell Academy received a donation in excess of $100 million dollars.  This has become  even more prevalent during COVID-19 when public school families were forced into online learning and a large percentage of the private boarding schools were wide open.  Look, private schools and especially boarding schools are not for everyone but for many families it certainly appears as if the pendulum is swinging away from public high school education.  What is your opinion as to why more and more families nationwide are considering private boarding schools?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Announcements




×
  • Create New...