Region 7-4A 2022

stacmot

2 hours ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

7-4A off to a good start nice win SG!

Thanks man. It is great to start the season off with a solid win over a quality opponent. Lexington is no chump. They have a good squad again this year. I was only able to watch bits and pieces of the contest because I was working the entire time, but it looked like SGC was able to air that ball out a little bit and I like it! 

6 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Thanks man. It is great to start the season off with a solid win over a quality opponent. Lexington is no chump. They have a good squad again this year. I was only able to watch bits and pieces of the contest because I was working the entire time, but it looked like SGC was able to air that ball out a little bit and I like it! 

Bet it was weird to see them air it out after being used to the ground assault for so many years. It was always fun to me to try and keep up with the ball watching that option work.

10 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

Bet it was weird to see them air it out after being used to the ground assault for so many years. It was always fun to me to try and keep up with the ball watching that option work.

HA! Yup, you should try announcing the games..... I finally learned to not call the ball carrier until after the play. 

• 1 month later...

So, I want to go ahead and hit the refresh button since the majority of our teams were off this past week, and we have just 3 three weeks remaining in the regular season.

1) Haywood 7-0 (3-0) Opponents remaining: vs South Gibson, @ Covington, @ Obion Central

2) South Gibson 5-2 (2-1) Opponents remaining: @ Haywood, vs Lausanne, vs Crockett County

3) Obion Central 4-3 (2-1) Opponents remaining: vs Milan, @ Dresden, vs Haywood

4) Crockett County 5-2 (1-2) Opponents remaining: @ North Side, @ Lexington, @ South Gibson

5) Milan 4-3 (1-2) Opponents remaining: @ Obion Central, vs Hardin County, vs North Side

6) North Side 1-6 (0-3) Opponents remaining: vs Crockett County, @ South Side, @ Milan

Haywood wins title if they win vs South Gibson. If they lose, then South Gibson will be in the driver seat with a win vs Crockett County. North Side is not eliminated yet, but they'll have to win out. For a team that has scored 39 total points (and 33 of them were in one game), they're all but eliminated.

The team that'll be in on lookout watch is Crockett County. Crockett County/SGC will be a huge game. Assuming Crockett County defeats North Side, and Haywood defeats South Gibson, then Crockett/SGC will have implications for home field in a game (South Gibson), and a team that is trying to get into the playoffs (Crockett). Milan win at Obion Central will put them into a worst case scenario of a 3rd place tie for 3/4. Again, it'll be a little early to find out because we still have an interesting game this week in Troy, but the Obion Central win at Crockett County is starting to play a huge role into this region.

Overall, I've been disappointed with West Tennessee overall in football, and North Side is struggling, which is expected. However, we're a Obion Central win away from seeing 5 of 6 teams finishing the year with .500 or better. Which is an improvement from last year.

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Haywood wins title if they win vs South Gibson.

Not necessarily so...if Haywood defeats SGC and Obion defeats Milan, the winner of the Haywood-Obion game will be the region champion.  

If both the Tomcats and Rebels are victorious this week, Haywood would go into the Obion game with a 4-0 region record while Obion would be 3-1.  If the Rebels defeated the Tomcats, both teams would have identical 4-1 region records and Obion would win the title based on head-to-head competition.  A Haywood victory in that game would obviously secure the title for the Tomcats.

There's still a lot of football left to play and a lot of ifs.  I'm hoping that both Haywood and Milan win this Friday.  If that happens, Haywood would claim the region championship no matter what might happen in the Haywood-Obion game.

As you mentioned in your post, South Gibson would be in the driver's seat with a victory over Haywood,

However, if Haywood loses to both SGC and Obion, Obion loses to Milan and defeats Haywood, SGC defeats Haywood and loses to Crockett, Crockett defeats SGC and North Side, Milan defeats Obion and North Side, we would have a 5 way tie between Haywood, SGC, Obion, Crockett and Milan for first.  Even though that's unlikely, it's possible and it's more than I want to think about at this point.

We need to wait until after this week to try and sort all of this out.

Edited by stacmot

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE please check all of my thoughts in the post above.  It was about 3:30 this morning when I started thinking about the possibility of a 5-way tie, so I could be wrong.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

III. REGION PLAY & TIE-BREAKERS

A. All teams are required to play all other teams within their region. The teams with the best region records shall be declared the region winner, runner-up, third and fourth place and shall advance to the first round of the football play-off series.

B. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

C. In the event of a tie for the region winner, runner-up, third-place, or fourth-place team, if either team(s) has defeated the other(s) in regular-season play, the team(s) shall be rated above the other(s) in the standings. After the region winner has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again starting at the top to work out the runner-up position. The procedure shall be repeated to determine the third- and fourth-place teams.

D. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region, shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.
2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.
3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their    games.
4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.
5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.
6. Coin Flip

Edited by stacmot

2 hours ago, Rockytoptomcat said:

I am pretty jealous of south Gibson’s non regional schedule. How did they manage to pull that off? 

Our coach was a looney tone character when signed these teams up! J/k. I like having a really hard out of league schedule. You can't pad your record, but you can get better and try to make a run in the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, stacmot said:

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE please check all of my thoughts in the post above.  It was about 3:30 this morning when I started thinking about the possibility of a 5-way tie, so I could be wrong.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.

III. REGION PLAY & TIE-BREAKERS

A. All teams are required to play all other teams within their region. The teams with the best region records shall be declared the region winner, runner-up, third and fourth place and shall advance to the first round of the football play-off series.

B. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

C. In the event of a tie for the region winner, runner-up, third-place, or fourth-place team, if either team(s) has defeated the other(s) in regular-season play, the team(s) shall be rated above the other(s) in the standings. After the region winner has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again starting at the top to work out the runner-up position. The procedure shall be repeated to determine the third- and fourth-place teams.

D. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region, shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.
2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.
3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their    games.
4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.
5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.
6. Coin Flip

It’s certainly a lot to look at and I’m still trying to wrap my head around the possibility of a 5 way tie. Never seen that before. Most I’ve ever seen is a 3 way tie. But I am hopeful that Milan beats Obion and North Side. And that Haywood and South Gibson hold serve. (Assuming Haywood beats SGC and the Hornets win their remaining region game). That would make Haywood the 1 seed and Milan the 2. Fingers crossed.