Heritage hires former UT Coach Joe Osovet

1 minute ago, HTV said:

Good stiff there.  

And I completely understand that it's more than just about gate, but I don't have to tell you that the reality is that high school sports, and especially football, are not cheap to fund. Every dollar is important.  How guys like you are able to fundraise and be sure the bills are paid is very commendable.  

He's a regular P.T. Barnum of fundraising. His half-court shots are a big draw for students from both schools. Even though we took two L's, I had a great time the other night at the Marvin "Boomer" Boring gymnasium. 

• Upvote 1

At WBHS every sport has their own account.  So football has to share nothing with anyone.  They obviously bring in the most money but they also have the most expenses.  Some think that football shares their money with the school.  Not at all.  The school operates with their own money as well.  I have two separate accounts where I fund raise so I can help smaller sports when they ask for it or if we need to buy something that is outside a sports regular budget.  It actually works very well.  A sport will have however much money they want to have and can buy what they want as long as they have the money. 

We really thought  we could win 5+ games this year.  And then play MHS in the playoffs.  Well it backfired.  I truly believe had we won the game at Jefferson County where we blew it at the end we win 5+.  But because we have been mired in losing games since 2008 it doesn't take much to send us spiraling within a season.  And that is what happened. 

Regardless we move forward into next season with the same schedule of course.  After this year we will definitely talk to Derek again and see what we can do.  

• 3 weeks later...

things are getting interesting over there, that's for sure.

have heard nothing about portals, but what is happening has peaked many people's curiosity and i'm not so sure in a good way. lots of questions about the hires and announcements that have been made. but hey, even if they don't win a game, they'll win a social media award, right? 

hope for the best for the boys, this has got to be a major adjustment for all of them.

18 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

have heard nothing about portals, but what is happening has peaked many people's curiosity and i'm not so sure in a good way. lots of questions about the hires and announcements that have been made. but hey, even if they don't win a game, they'll win a social media award, right? 

hope for the best for the boys, this has got to be a major adjustment for all of them.

Let's be reasonable and rational here. Does anybody with a functioning brain really expect much to change as far as wins and losses with either of the county system football programs?  

52 minutes ago, HTV said:

Let's be reasonable and rational here. Does anybody with a functioning brain really expect much to change as far as wins and losses with either of the county system football programs?  

Personally I see the move in situation from new out of state kids coming may possibly be some help for the county schools this coming fall along with two better head coaching hires that are very excited to be in those jobs. WB is in a better position to to possibly win at least half their games, remember they were expecting to win at least 7 last year and were in most of the games they lost except two or three. They have a much better coach than the one that left. I won't dog Shad but I really think he was burnt out and just going through the motions and just hanging on. The new coach at Heritage may teach the boys some new fast track ways but still only see them winning two games which they were actually in last year and lost. It is a very hard job being up against all the obstacles on the county's famous beer budget plan. In my lifetime I've seen the county schools win before and the people pour out of the woodwork to go see them play and much more that either Maryville or Alcoa believe it or not. When the few times it has happened no one was rewarded and good coaches either quit or moved on. 

39 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Personally I see the move in situation from new out of state kids coming may possibly be some help for the county schools this coming fall along with two better head coaching hires that are very excited to be in those jobs. WB is in a better position to to possibly win at least half their games, remember they were expecting to win at least 7 last year and were in most of the games they lost except two or three. They have a much better coach than the one that left. I won't dog Shad but I really think he was burnt out and just going through the motions and just hanging on. The new coach at Heritage may teach the boys some new fast track ways but still only see them winning two games which they were actually in last year and lost. It is a very hard job being up against all the obstacles on the county's famous beer budget plan. In my lifetime I've seen the county schools win before and the people pour out of the woodwork to go see them play and much more that either Maryville or Alcoa believe it or not. When the few times it has happened no one was rewarded and good coaches either quit or moved on. 

The Heritage youth program is on very solid ground.  Two really good guys making that program go!  This is where they should start their build.  If they get those kids playing for "Heritage" at a young age then maybe they'll keeping playing and stay at Heritage.   William Blount's youth program is in the birth stage (and maybe not really there yet).  Lots of WBHS zoned youth playing in other youth programs or not playing football at all.  I wish the best for both schools.

3 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

What are all these non-coaching positions they keep tweeting about?