OW?

Rasslinking

Just my opinion, but adding the population numbers of Davidson Co to mid TN wrestling doesnt reflect the truth. Yes Davidson Co is very populated, but how many state placers, or even qualifiers came from a MNPS? I may be wrong but I dont remember any placers in AA from a Davidson Co HS. John Overton HS had a couple of solid kids but I dont think they placed. In the A division, East Nashville, MLK and Hillwood may have had a handful of placers. That being said, the majority of mid TN state placers dont come from Davidson Co. The majority of the placers come from counties that are outside of Davidson like, Rutherford, Wilson, Williamson, Sumner, Montgomery, etc.

However you want to look at it, the quality and depth of wrestling in TN as a whole is better than it was, and I hope that trend continues! 

50 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Just my opinion, but adding the population numbers of Davidson Co to mid TN wrestling doesnt reflect the truth. Yes Davidson Co is very populated, but how many state placers, or even qualifiers came from a MNPS? I may be wrong but I dont remember any placers in AA from a Davidson Co HS. John Overton HS had a couple of solid kids but I dont think they placed. In the A division, East Nashville, MLK and Hillwood may have had a handful of placers. That being said, the majority of mid TN state placers dont come from Davidson Co. The majority of the placers come from counties that are outside of Davidson like, Rutherford, Wilson, Williamson, Sumner, Montgomery, etc.

However you want to look at it, the quality and depth of wrestling in TN as a whole is better than it was, and I hope that trend continues! 

OK, so again, take out Davidson and those 5 counties number=1,153,299 pop

Rutherford/Wilson=489,223

you can do a few different ways, split those schools out and see how many champs and placers they had in AA

Hamilton/Bradley=474,827.  Bradley has a population of 108,620 which is less than any of the 5 you mentioned and by themselves Bradley County placed 16 by themselves

As far as AA, Ooltewah and Howard are the only AA teams I see in Chattanooga.  maybe i missed but i dont see either that placed anyone. 

In A-12 Hamilton County wrestlers medaled. That is with 5 schools 4-signal, 3-hixson, 2-east hamilton, 2-soddy, 1-red bank. No Bradley schools in A.

Edited by cobrakid8

1) We've DEF gotten off topic on this thread.

2) There is no debate that Bradley Co specifically and Chattanooga in general is the wrestling capital of Tennessee. I will even go as far as saying the entire mid-south. It's amazing what Bradley Co HS and Cleveland HS have accomplished throughout the past few decades.

3) However, I do NOT believe there is some sort of conspiracy to keep wrestlers from some teams from winning OW at the state tournament, Ashton Davis in this case. There very well could be a coach or 3 from "team X" that would never vote for a wrestler from "team Z", but I dont think the coaches gather collectively and ask other coaches not to vote for the wrestler from "team Z". 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

I would hope so, middle TN has 42 middle tn schools compared to 25 that are considered east, also middle TN has schools that participate in section 2, all of 3 and even into section 4 while east only has section 1 and half of section 2. I mean if you want to include sections instead of east, middle and west sections 1 and 2 had more state champs than 3 and 4.   Also in A there are 8 state champs from east compared to 5 from middle TN. 

we can also look at D2 if you want to go that far and go East 8, middle 3, west 3. so middle same amount of state champs as west. 

As far as best vs best east vs west.   

106-cleveland already beat middle kid Wilson central 8-0   EAST

113- Bradley kid beat middle kid independence 7-0    EAST

120-little summit beat Ellison in ultimate TB 2-1  so lets see that again    TOSS UP

126-bradford blackman in OT over lipsey 1-1 even fowler lets see that again  TOSS UPS

132- Sturgill vs desselle lets see that rematch again as it was 7-5 OT  TOSS UP

138- shires again over Lipsey 9-5  MIDDLE

145-norman pinned jameson     EAST

152- middle wins this although west won title    MIDDLE

160-brenot wins again over szymborski by major      MIDDLE

170-pyron wins again over east Molina 10-3    MIDDLE

182-chew blackman beats cooley in a tight match  MIDDLE

195-boyd wins over milhorn highest placing middle     EAST

220- gaines wins over crowder highest placing east        MIDDLE

285- davis wins against anyone            EAST

5 EAST    6 MIDDLE  WITH 3 TOSS UPS

lol you just proved my point. That Middle TN wins more and would win head to head. This all started because ol fooseball wanted to make this Cleveland vs everybody. And wanted to say that middle TN could “have the popularity awards” while cleveland wins “titles that matter”. this is Chatt vs Middle TN because he made it Chatt vs Middle TN. He wants the smoke, he can have it. But as i stated in a previous post, if you’re gonna call the shots like that, don’t be upset when the results aren’t what you want.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

lol you just proved my point. That Middle TN wins more and would win head to head. This all started because ol fooseball wanted to make this Cleveland vs everybody. And wanted to say that middle TN could “have the popularity awards” while cleveland wins “titles that matter”. this is Chatt vs Middle TN because he made it Chatt vs Middle TN. He wants the smoke, he can have it. But as i stated in a previous post, if you’re gonna call the shots like that, don’t be upset when the results aren’t what you want.

in large school yes, but if you want all the smoke for it, lets add Baylor to it and Signal. I mean again only 2 total schools in Chattanooga that are AA and 5 total when you include Bradley county. As far as OW, it really is a crapshoot when no clear rules are in place.  Like Davis is prob the best wrestler there this past weekend in AA. However a pretty easy weight, so do you ding him for that, because if it's someone that had the hardest time to win it all that goes to Bradford even more than Shires. He beat a kid who beat him twice already and a kid that beat that kid twice. One being a former state champion himself.

7 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

in large school yes, but if you want all the smoke for it, lets add Baylor to it and Signal. I mean again only 2 total schools in Chattanooga that are AA and 5 total when you include Bradley county. As far as OW, it really is a crapshoot when no clear rules are in place.  Like Davis is prob the best wrestler there this past weekend in AA. However a pretty easy weight, so do you ding him for that, because if it's someone that had the hardest time to win it all that goes to Bradford even more than Shires. He beat a kid who beat him twice already and a kid that beat that kid twice. One being a former state champion himself.

Personally i've always thought whoever wins the hardest weight class should get OW. Some think whoever is the most dominant should get it regardless of the rest of the weight.

I guess Shires winning it IS the medium of the two. Not the strongest weight, but top 3. Not the most dominant wrestler in the tourney, but again, top 3. 

2 hours ago, Ummmno said:

Personally i've always thought whoever wins the hardest weight class should get OW. Some think whoever is the most dominant should get it regardless of the rest of the weight.

I guess Shires winning it IS the medium of the two. Not the strongest weight, but top 3. Not the most dominant wrestler in the tourney, but again, top 3. 

I think it was a pretty good pick. Could have went to A. Davis, Shires or Bradford. 

6 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

again, the point is he made it cleveland vs everyone. it’s not signal and baylor or bradley fans talking the smack and crying about it. it’s straight up cleveland. obviously cleveland vs middle TN wouldn’t be fair, (although according to some cleveland wins everything that matters while middle TN just wins popularity contests.). but initially that’s why i included east TN…to make it more realistic while still proving that middle TN usually wins more and would win head to head. this is also about AA..if you throw baylor and signal in, yeah they’d be pretty stout and then this is a different conversation…but this has been made to be cleveland vs middle tn at the core. that’s where it all started. you can’t say cleveland vs everyone (i know it wasn’t you specifically) and then say, oh well what about baylor and signal etc..when it’s proven that while cleveland is far and a way the dynasty of AA, they don’t match up with middle TN as a whole…as some have tried to say. He just needs to take his L and admit that was a stupid comment and a horrible take. I don’t see it happening though, seeing how worked up he got over not winning OW. 

Davis P4P is probably the best in AA, not the best there in general though. and i agree, i would’ve voted for Bradford as well, 126 was a gauntlet.

Edited by Bump11

On 3/1/2022 at 11:41 AM, Midtnwrestling1 said:

As I think it was mentioned in another comment. The reason for MidTn vs chatt was because if you wrestle for public schools around the chatt area you find your way to Cleveland or Bradley. Not saying the other schools don’t have good kids but those are always top 2. heck kids from Midtn find their way to Cleveland to wrestle.  

This is the second time this idea has been floated in this thread. The insinuation that outside Wrestlers "Find their way to Cleveland or Bradley". If you look back in recent history, Cleveland has benefited from many Wrestlers who did not attend Elementary/Middle school in Cleveland. 

By and Large, Bradley H.S. Wrestlers are Bradley Co. Kids, Period! 

Win or lose, they don't plug anticipated holes in their line-up with talented middle schoolers who happen to "move in".

I don't care what they do, but it's not accurate to cast Bradley in that same light.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:46 PM, Bump11 said:

if you’re a wrestler from chattanooga, chances are you’re being put in the Cleveland/Bradley school systems.

4 hours ago, slingshot said:

This is the second time this idea has been floated in this thread. The insinuation that outside Wrestlers "Find their way to Cleveland or Bradley". If you look back in recent history, Cleveland has benefited from many Wrestlers who did not attend Elementary/Middle school in Cleveland. 

Win or lose, they don't plug anticipated holes in their line-up with talented middle schoolers who happen to "move in".

I don't care what they do, but it's not accurate to cast Bradley in that same light.

i could be wrong, but im assuming you’re referring to this part of an earlier post i made. And if so i apologize if it came off that way. It was mainly meant for cleveland, and i more so meant if you’re from in and around bradley county, you likely end up there. i wasn’t trying to say they “recruit” or pull kids out of left field. just stating that kids who wrestle in that area are going to one of those schools. 

but it’s funny you say that about cleveland, because it’s easy for these guys to talk trash and gloat about how much better they are than everyone when they build their team while everyone else develops them. you may get a transfer or 2 every now and then but for the most part, these teams like Wilson, Beech, Summit, Blackman…that have built their programs into powerhouses over the years, they do it with kids that start in their system at a very young age and they develop them. 

Edited by Bump11

Slingshot….. 

Cleveland has had THREE kids in the last ten years that wrestled for the HS and never attended Cleveland MS…. that’s pretty impressive.

Bradley has had 2 in the last 5 years….. one this year…. but nobody wants to talk about that.If you want to look further back i’m sure we can find a few more.

I would be willing to bet most HS don’t have a full line up of kids that went to one MS. Cleveland dominates at the youth level, MS level, and High School with kids in thier school system.

Edited by Rasslinking

12 hours ago, slingshot said:

Kids want to be in a program that's successful and wins state titles and gives them the best shot to win an individual title. Cleveland put 4 freshman in the boys lineup this year and one girl in the girls line up and all but one went to cleveland middle school and all placed top 5. Traveling across the US to find good competition and practicing 5 days a week pretty much year round because our kids have a desire to be the best because that's the expectation, if you consider that recruiting because kids want to be a part of that then so be it but because its not happening 3 miles down the road isn't a very good reason to be calling people out. I don't deserve much credit for the success that Cleveland has had because I'm not around as much as I could be, but the people that do, work tirelessly year round to make sure these kids have the best chance for success that they can possibly have. I just don't think it's right to say that people are cheating or recruiting because they work harder than most other coaches in the state.