Shot clock in Tennessee?

Patriots186

32 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Worse case scenario it wouldn’t bother me if they did it at state since all the equipment is there. I wouldn’t have a problem with it at all. They make all these other rules with 4 classes and 3 teams in Districts. Why not that?? Think it would make the game more exciting and it would stop the four corner stall in the 4th quarter that we see most of the quarter. 

I’d be for that 100% 

Why not just make it a 15 second clock? 10 to cross the timeline, then 5 to get off a shot...would almost completely take coaching and strategy out of the gameplan. Excitement level would be off the charts too, with a loose ball situation or a trap resulting in an almost certain turnover. Pace would be furious and benches would get some serious playing time with starters going full tilt until exhausted. The only downside would be that basketball knowledge and strategy wouldn't matter much, but hey...if the fans want fast and furious, give 'em what they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

Why not just make it a 15 second clock? 10 to cross the timeline, then 5 to get off a shot...would almost completely take coaching and strategy out of the gameplan. Excitement level would be off the charts too, with a loose ball situation or a trap resulting in an almost certain turnover. Pace would be furious and benches would get some serious playing time with starters going full tilt until exhausted. The only downside would be that basketball knowledge and strategy wouldn't matter much, but hey...if the fans want fast and furious, give 'em what they want.

45 second clock would still be slow, IMO. I think it would be a good thing for the game. We will see what happens.

Not being facetious, just acknowledging all the components of the game. If stalling the ball or playing Dean Smith's old four corners offense is offensive to watch (no pun intended), it's simply because teams can't (aren't prepared to) deal with it. The five second rule is intended as advantage enough for the defense to prevent the offense from simply keeping the ball to prevent you from scoring. If in order to pressure the ball, you have to give the advantage to the offense to the degree that you can't prevent easy (layups) scores, then the four corners is no longer a strategy to keep you from getting the ball, but a strategy to be patient and settle only for easy baskets. Basketball shouldn't be simply a contest of who is more athletic or coordinated, but also of strategy and determination. There's only one determining factor in who wins a basketball game and that's scoring more than your opponent, there are two ways to get there however. You can score points at a higher rate than they can match, or hold them to fewer points than you have...the end result is the same no matter the formula you use.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

If they want the games to be more exciting it would do that for sure. 

The only way the shot clock impacts the pace of the boys high school game for all the teams is if it is a 25 -30 second shot clock and we all know that is not going to happen. 45 second shot clock is not going to do anything to make the game more exciting to watch. 40 second shot clock is not going to do anything to make the game more exciting to watch. the majority of the teams I watched this year rarely if ever had the ball that long. most teams didn't even get the last shot at the end of the quarter when they had the ball with 30 seconds left to go. 

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

The only way the shot clock impacts the pace of the boys high school game for all the teams is if it is a 25 -30 second shot clock and we all know that is not going to happen. 45 second shot clock is not going to do anything to make the game more exciting to watch. 40 second shot clock is not going to do anything to make the game more exciting to watch. the majority of the teams I watched this year rarely if ever had the ball that long. most teams didn't even get the last shot at the end of the quarter when they had the ball with 30 seconds left to go. 

Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if it was a 35 or 40 second shot clock. Every body has an opinion. Just like this four class business with three teams in Districts and four. I hope they shoot that down but probably won’t. How would you have liked to have been South Side or South Gibson this past season having to hunt for games to play the last six weeks to avoid long delays?? Every body wants old school basketball. Well old school basketball is having a District Tournament that means something and getting to the Region means something. Let’s get back to six and seven team Districts if you want old school basketball. Let’s get back to 1 hour bus rides instead of 2-2.5 to play some of these games. Safety of the kids and getting home at decent hours mean something right?? Four classes has everything far apart. Let’s all be real here. Lot of these schools claim “well we can’t win a state with 3 classes.” Well I got news for them. If you can’t win with three classes, your not going to win it with four either because your not very good. 

Edited by pioneer42

26 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if it was a 35 or 40 second shot clock. Every body has an opinion. Just like this four class business with three teams in Districts and four. I hope they shoot that down but probably won’t. How would you have liked to have been South Side or South Gibson this past season having to hunt for games to play the last six weeks to avoid long delays?? Every body wants old school basketball. Well old school basketball is having a District Tournament that means something and getting to the Region means something. Let’s get back to six and seven team Districts if you want old school basketball. Let’s get back to 1 hour bus rides instead of 2-2.5 to play some of these games. Safety of the kids and getting home at decent hours mean something right?? Four classes has everything far apart. Let’s all be real here. Lot of these schools claim “well we can’t win a state with 3 classes.” Well I got new for them. If you can’t win with three classes, your not going to win it with four either because your not just not very good. 

I don't disagree 

However, I love to see the kids enjoy the great game we have been blessed to play and watch. The more kids that have an opportunity to play in a state tournament the better. Even if that means smaller districts and longer bus rides I think the kids are fine with that.

Just do away with the district tournaments and do away with districts and just have regions. You play each region team 1 time and seed the region tournament based on those games. Have a multi tier tiebreaker system to deal with ties.

That would also allow for a later start to the season and give teams an extra week of practice before they start playing games. Because when I talk to coaches (and bless the special people who do that job. LOL) they all complain about not enough practice time before games start.

10 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Not being facetious, just acknowledging all the components of the game. If stalling the ball or playing Dean Smith's old four corners offense is offensive to watch (no pun intended), it's simply because teams can't (aren't prepared to) deal with it. The five second rule is intended as advantage enough for the defense to prevent the offense from simply keeping the ball to prevent you from scoring. If in order to pressure the ball, you have to give the advantage to the offense to the degree that you can't prevent easy (layups) scores, then the four corners is no longer a strategy to keep you from getting the ball, but a strategy to be patient and settle only for easy baskets. Basketball shouldn't be simply a contest of who is more athletic or coordinated, but also of strategy and determination. There's only one determining factor in who wins a basketball game and that's scoring more than your opponent, there are two ways to get there however. You can score points at a higher rate than they can match, or hold them to fewer points than you have...the end result is the same no matter the formula you use.

Best post here in a long time.

It doesn't happen that often.  

On 3/22/2022 at 8:10 PM, Jaychapman said:

Put one clock at each end have one of the refs designated to watch when gets close ( don’t have instant replay anyway ) I think the other two can handle the last few seconds by themselves / use to only had two refs anyway - not perfect just another thing disgruntled fans can holler at - probably 80% of teams wouldn’t  get close to time running out 

So a ref is engaged in a play for 27 seconds and then he needs to remember to stop watching the ball handler and look up at a shot clock.  Ridiculous.  

17 minutes ago, BelmontRebel said:

It doesn't happen that often.  

So a ref is engaged in a play for 27 seconds and then he needs to remember to stop watching the ball handler and look up at a shot clock.  Ridiculous.  

Few seconds isn’t 27 seconds. Where did you get that number??