2022 Single A Volleyball

Rockstar89

15 hours ago, Rockstar89 said:

I just heard Sale Creek won it all at Watertown. They beat Mt Juliet in the finals. 

Sale Creek, Harpeth, and Watertown have good chances to go to state, as they always seem to do.

When I posted my last message, I did not yet know who won the tourney in Johnson City. It turns out Science Hill was the winner, on their home court. They finished 6-0. Out of those six, South Greene was the only team to win a set against Science Hill. The other two sets against Science Hill, SG lost 24-26 and 10-15.

While every game played is important, the ones that figure best into the grand scheme of things are those which determine who is going to state. Meanwhile, games against the bigger schools, in different classifications, provide a yardstick for Class A teams to measure growth.

So, I think that SG had a good day yesterday even though they lost to a couple of teams. Daniel Boone, a team SG had previously beaten this season, beat SG 2-1 yesterday. 

Setting aside the mistakes (which we all agree are inevitable) is the best way to preserve a team's aggressiveness. Brushing off a mistake and concentrating on the next play is what counts. I briefly watched Summertown a couple of weeks ago and noted that they appeared very confident and were enjoying the game. That's what you want in a team.

Edited by Americal198

2 hours ago, Americal198 said:

Sale Creek, Harpeth, and Watertown have good chances to go to state, as they always seem to do.

When I posted my last message, I did not yet know who won the tourney in Johnson City. It turns out Science Hill was the winner, on their home court. They finished 6-0. Out of those six, South Greene was the only team to win a set against Science Hill. The other two sets against Science Hill, SG lost 24-26 and 10-15.

While every game played is important, the ones that figure best into the grand scheme of things are those which determine who is going to state. Meanwhile, games against the bigger schools, in different classifications, provide a yardstick for Class A teams to measure growth.

So, I think that SG had a good day yesterday even though they lost to a couple of teams. Daniel Boone, a team SG had previously beaten this season, beat SG 2-1 yesterday. 

Setting aside the mistakes (which we all agree are inevitable) is the best way to preserve a team's aggressiveness. Brushing off a mistake and concentrating on the next play is what counts. I briefly watched Summertown a couple of weeks ago and noted that they appeared very confident and were enjoying the game. That's what you want in a team.

Unfortunately, Harpeth has to go thru either Summertown or Loretto to get to state. Been done before, but always a stiff task. Watertown has losses to a district team Gordonsville. East Robertson seems to be good in that Region, too. And Watertown would have to play Sale Creek or Eagleville (who they have lost to already this year) in the Sectional round if they advance in region. So I think both Watertown and Harpeth will have their work cut out for them here in the coming weeks. 

What competition does SG have out there? Seems pretty easily sailing to get to state, altho they seem to take care of business once they get there. Who would be the other team to make it this year? CSAS?

In the west it's up for grabs. Most of those teams are not great. Doesn't really matter who it will be. Based on past history they will most likely lose their 6 sets quick and be eliminated. Sounds rough, and I guess it could always change eventually, but that is the recent history. 

4 hours ago, Americal198 said:

If you watch Summertown and not the scoreboard it’s hard to tell if their winning or losing - don’t know if that’s good or bad but I know they don’t get rattled easy - guess the old adage been there done that probably describes them best 

1 hour ago, Rockstar89 said:

Unfortunately, Harpeth has to go thru either Summertown or Loretto to get to state. Been done before, but always a stiff task. Watertown has losses to a district team Gordonsville. East Robertson seems to be good in that Region, too. And Watertown would have to play Sale Creek or Eagleville (who they have lost to already this year) in the Sectional round if they advance in region. So I think both Watertown and Harpeth will have their work cut out for them here in the coming weeks. 

What competition does SG have out there? Seems pretty easily sailing to get to state, altho they seem to take care of business once they get there. Who would be the other team to make it this year? CSAS?

In the west it's up for grabs. Most of those teams are not great. Doesn't really matter who it will be. Based on past history they will most likely lose their 6 sets quick and be eliminated. Sounds rough, and I guess it could always change eventually, but that is the recent history. 

Thanks for the info out your way. It looks like it might be Sale Creek, Eagleville, Loretto and Summertown, like last year.

North Greene eliminated CSAS to get to the state last year. It may be the other way around this year, if North Greene makes it that far. In the past, Meigs County has been a factor in the east. Not sure about this year.

South Greene has to be considered a safe bet to play in the state tourney this year. I never like to take things for granted, though.

Volleyball is still in its early baby stages in the east. For instance, this is Hampton's first year with a volleyball team. The sport taking place during football season could be a reason there is not as much interest as we'd like or expect.

3 minutes ago, Jaychapman said:

If you watch Summertown and not the scoreboard it’s hard to tell if their winning or losing - don’t know if that’s good or bad but I know they don’t get rattled easy - guess the old adage been there done that probably describes them best 

There is no substitute for experience gained by playing a high level of competition. That old adage sounds about right.

On 10/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, Rockstar89 said:

It's District tournament week! Here's to a great week of games. Be sure to post your teams results!

Not much excitement this way for Summertown or Loretto in district or region / substate different story region winner have advantage in who they play but that’s why they play the game 

1 hour ago, Jaychapman said:

Not much excitement this way for Summertown or Loretto in district or region / substate different story region winner have advantage in who they play but that’s why they play the game 

So I heard a rumor from the middle school sectionals that more than one player from Summertown HS team had quit. True or false?

Edited by Rockstar89