South Pittsburg declines Marion

On 10/5/2022 at 11:13 AM, MSUBac2001 said:

I always see Marion County - South Pittsburg claim to be the state’s oldest rivalry. 

However, Rockwood and Harriman started playing in 1921 & played continually since 1924.  According to a few articles, SP-MC started in 1924, but obviously the series is no longer continuous  

Also, I see Baylor - McCallie played in 1905, so neither SP/MC or RHS/HHS can claim to be the actual oldest.  Several other schools played games before 1924. 

I guess the question, now that MC/SP haven’t played annually since 1924 like Harriman and Rockwood have, and other schools played each other before 1924, where does MC/SP’s claim to be the state’s oldest rivalry come from now?  Not trying to be combative; I am genuinely curious.

We ain't the oldest or the longest running.

The series has ended for now.

Will it ever be back on?

Never say never.

Regardless of enrollment, SP has whipped up on those poor Jasper people for some time now. Check the overall record. Heck I remember one stretch of whippings when they were just happy to beat SP in an elementary spelling bee. It’s over. You lost the last game, you lost the series. Bout the only thing you jailhouse bunch have got SP beat in is cans of paint used in a season and that was dang near 10 years ago. :thumb:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I've seen the reference to 300+ multiple times. Is there supposed to be some reason that is supposed to matter? I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Earlier in this post someone said Jasper had a much larger enrollment than SP and that Jasper shouldn't even be playing the Pirates. They should play Riverdale. I stated that enrollments were about 300+ for SP and 500+ for Jasper. Was quickly told that SP has never had 300 kids so I was just setting the record straight that SP turned in over 300 for enrollment for classification. No big deal just trying to correct a poster who had no idea but he still doesn't get it. :roflolk:

2 hours ago, CastIronHero said:

Regardless of enrollment, SP has whipped up on those poor Jasper people for some time now. Check the overall record. Heck I remember one stretch of whippings when they were just happy to beat SP in an elementary spelling bee. It’s over. You lost the last game, you lost the series. Bout the only thing you jailhouse bunch have got SP beat in is cans of paint used in a season and that was dang near 10 years ago. :thumb:

Pirates do hold the overall series record. I believe they reeled off an 8 game win streak and Jasper has two 8 game win streaks over the Pirates. Not so sure about being happy with winning an elementary spelling bee because in every other sport in high school I'm not sure the Pirates win in anything the last few years. I know they split a baseball series a couple years ago. Middle school has dominated lately and little league has been on a different level for a few years now.

Edited by CoyDillard

11 minutes ago, CoyDillard said:

Pirates do hold the overall series record. I believe they reeled off an 8 game win streak and Jasper has two 8 game win streaks over the Pirates. Not so sure about being happy with winning an elementary spelling bee because in every other sport in high school I'm not sure the Pirates win in anything the last few years. I know they split a baseball series a couple years ago. Middle school has dominated lately and little league has been on a different level for a few years now.

Stop the press.

Edited by Southtowner
He said Jasper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoyDillard said:

Earlier in this post someone said Jasper had a much larger enrollment than SP and that Jasper shouldn't even be playing the Pirates. They should play Riverdale. I stated that enrollments were about 300+ for SP and 500+ for Jasper. Was quickly told that SP has never had 300 kids so I was just setting the record straight that SP turned in over 300 for enrollment for classification. No big deal just trying to correct a poster who had no idea but he still doesn't get it. :roflolk:

Gotcha. I thought maybe you just liked the movie.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTE2LpPM__U8XIBZgVJHA

FYI, that's Sgt. Southtowner^^^

Edited by The Drunken Sailor
  • Upvote 1